Starting SBC notchback mustang build

Kid Turbine

First of all the T is getting dropped off for tuning to Bob Hinson after walbro pump and headers change.

Well to start I finally convinced myself to go turbo istead of the procharger.( found good deal on a s475)

It will be a forged sbc 357 (that i have already, 406 or 421 later)

8.5:1 or 9:1 (will be running c16 race gas all the time)
Will install water to air intercooler system later since will be using c16

Dart 230 64cc heads with 2.05/1.60 valves (already have)

Weiland 7530 intake (already have)
2800-7200 rpm stock
2800-7800 rpm with 3/4" spacer
3000-8200 rpm with 2" spacer

Holley blow-thur 750 (modified by kevin at CSU or buy one of theirs)

Aeromotive complete fuel system

3500 convertor (already have)

Transbraked Powerglide (already have)

My notchback has a 8.8 with 3.73 already but was going to build it stronger

My first question of help was a camshaft for it?

Here are is one that was custom grind for a guy he was selling and the other is what some you is using in similar setup.

Comp Cams CS 30165
230/230 280/280
.577/.577 w/ 1.5 rockers
114 lsa
3500-6500 rpm
hyd. roller

Comp Cams 12-000-9 (can't find on website)
242/242
570/570 w/ 1.5 rockers
114 lsa

For my second question what ignition system are you guys using?

I have a 6al system was looking at getting a btm to add for timing to boost adjustments.

I seen some with a digitial 6, digitial 7, and the ever ready 7531 box.

if it was locked out 25 0r 30 degree timing or so then any box will work to a certain boost level. (like a steve morris procharger blow thur no intercooler system i have seen on the web)

Looking for some more info on camshaft and ignition setups.

Chime in Dusty, Malibuick231!!!!

Need Some Help, Guys!!!!

I Know Its A Mustang, But It Got A Gm Motor In It!!!!

And Its Going To Turbocharged!!!!

i would use the probillet distibuter w/ the advance in it and 6a btm box, set your timing a about 32* full advance and let the btm retard the timing as boost comes on to about 22*. the s475 will give ya plenty of power.

You also will get ALOT more help on turbomustangs.com They have a GM section over there, too. Along with alot more people.

I agree, though. WHY blow-through. If you are trying save money, there are better places to look. A good blow through carb costs nearly as much as EFI. THey have good blow through guru's over on turbomustangs.com Good luck.

Man I dont know any thing about carbs. I agree with the other guys you will get alot more help from the gm section on turbomustangs. As far as the cam mine cam from Cam Motion. If I were you I would keep a eye out for a used Fast bank to bank but I dont know if it will work with a ls1. Or you can use a sbf then it would be real easy for headers.

With C16 go for 9.1 compression, 9.5 won't hurt. I'm assuming aluminum heads.

The carb deal will work if you have good carb. I've seen them too many times now to say they have issues. I'm sure it will have a boost referenced power valve, if not it's going to stumble getting on the 2-step.

You really do need to look into a used FAST system and compare pricing. With the carb you will still need some sort data logger with WB02 and some inputs for boost to make sure you don't burn the motor up. It's money well spent.

I have helped a guy with a blow through car for a couple years. He had a home made carb built by someone on the net that worked just as good, if not better than one of those fancy $1000 carbs.

I personally like a crank trigger for timing control but a distributor will work. Get a 6a or 7al box, something with crank retard for the locked out timing and a boost retard box. Lock the timing out at 34 and retard the timing .5* per pound.

This will be a race only car

The dart heads are (iron) 230cc heads 64cc chambers

Kevin will build my carb for 550 or so and be boost referenced

Looking for a cam, scared of off the shelf cams and this is my biggest need

Those fast system used are hard to find nowadays but will look around

The cams I had listed are some cams I fount online for sell

And also here is another camshaft:

Comp Cams (Steve Petty grind) built for a 427 sbc with twin 88's

268/270 @ .050 (small base circle)
.457/.453
.776/.770 with 1.7 rockers
116 lsa
no rpm range listed

Thanks got good feedback about ignition setups so it seems I will be using my 6al box setup and get a boost timing master to add on

Dusty, the btm box takes 1*, 2*, or 3* out by knob and up to 15* total says MSD

hp is what i can get out of the tune (dyno time)

the s475 can be upgraded in the future up to a 91mm by one of the websites I visited lately

Blow-thur is because I have everything already accept a few things

One of the 1st 2 cams will work well. That last cam looks BIG for 357CI.

Well I called Comp Cams today!

They can custom grind the first cam for me for 303.00

But he corrected the specs

230/230 @.050
280/280 adv.
.540/.540 with 1.5 rockers
.577/.577 with 1.6 rockers
114 lsa

Hyd. roller

well here are my prices so far

92 notchback 500.00
modify my 750 carb 550.00 (carb more then the damn car!)
s475 turbo 585.00
camshaft 303.00
btm box 100.00
8.8 rearend with 3.73 200.00

That cam is in line with most of their custom cams for Turbo Chevy V8's. Looks like they mostly adjust base on engine size. Mine is 252-252 670 lift 116 lsa. So far Im very happy with it.

Was wondering what should be a limit of boost for this turbo. Some guys just use it to about 25lbs, that was where i may stop the turbo. But some have been over the 30 - 40 pounds range.

Dusty, I looked at your timing suggestions and this what i am up with for this box, it can take out 1,2, or 3 degrees and start at 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 pounds. It can take up to 15 degrees out of total timing.

With 34 total timing it will be at 19 degrees at 19 lbs.

Meaning from 19 to 25 or whatever pounds the motor would be at 19 degrees timing.

So what is too low of timing or this is the best solution for the exterme temp from the boost. Or will it be a dog after all that timing coming out.

malibuick231 what is the higheset you take your s480 and what is your launch boost and timing also.

Was wondering what should be a limit of boost for this turbo. Some guys just use it to about 25lbs, that was where i may stop the turbo. But some have been over the 30 - 40 pounds range.

Dusty, I looked at your timing suggestions and this what i am up with for this box, it can take out 1,2, or 3 degrees and start at 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 pounds. It can take up to 15 degrees out of total timing.

With 34 total timing it will be at 19 degrees at 19 lbs.

Meaning from 19 to 25 or whatever pounds the motor would be at 19 degrees timing.

So what is too low of timing or this is the best solution for the exterme temp from the boost. Or will it be a dog after all that timing coming out.

malibuick231 what is the higheset you take your s480 and what is your launch boost and timing also.

This is exactly why a aftermarket FI system would be best. You will not have to play these games with timing and ignition boxes. Also low timing is not a solution for high inlet temps.I can actually create other problems that must be kept in check.

With the cost of having my intake modified for efi (?), a throttle body (500), a 90 degree neck (200), and 96 pound injectors (400). It would take me more time then the blow-thur route to get the car built but still thinking efi. which fast do i need, found one that was setup for sbc with data logger for 1200. Talked to guys about the turbo and said at 25 pounds is the optium fot the s400 series and they have a s480 at 25 pounds made 1199 hp and its 900. I was going to use an air/fuel gauge and egt gauge also.

i thought the same thing about using a blowthrough and timing boxes, then i spent alittle more and did injection, if ya look for some things used its not really that bad.I know it was the best thing i did to the car.ya could be up and running for under 2000.00.

okay!!!! Stop beating my up side my head!!!!!!

What kind of throttle body to look for?

I found a Accufab 90mm throttle body for 200.00 waiting for info on the body was wondering will it fit a 90 degree neck for carb intake.

what size injectors will i need?

okay!!!! Stop beating my up side my head!!!!!!

What kind of throttle body to look for?

I found a Accufab 90mm throttle body for 200.00 waiting for info on the body was wondering will it fit a 90 degree neck for carb intake.

what size injectors will i need?

Sell your carb , intake and recoup some of $$$$. The injectors are gonna depend on how much power you wanna make. 83's, 95's, 120's or 160's

If the accufab has the regular Mustang 5.0 bolt pattern it will fit the elbow. This is what all of the aftermarket elbows are built for .

Edelbrock makes a elbow now which I think is cheaper than most others.It has vaccum ports which is nice. If you know some one that has good welding skills and availability to aluminum or stainless , one can actually be built for cheap. Just have to make your own flanges. But most just buy the PTE, Wilson units

If you dont want to convert your intake...Their Victor EFI intake is a deal considering its already set up for FI. They have their own fuel rails which are sold separate. I just made some good power thru one of these unported.

The FAST unit you metioned sounds fine. For 1200 bux make use it has a FAST datalogger box included