TA head info

Lee Thompson

I have a set of TA SE heads. My instructions call for 60-65 ft. lbs. on the 7/16 bolts that hold the plate for the 3 rocker shafts. I would suggest that you go NO MORE than 50 since mine pulled the threads on 3 of them @ 60 ft. lbs.

And before someone suggest that I have my TOOL calibrated, just done a few weeks ago.

Which tool you talking about Lee.:D Hey Lee you never responded about the heater Box. I've had mine since they first made them but never tried to do it yet. 1 How long did it take and, 2 Did you have to pull the fender and inner wheel house to get it out. And finally is there room to pull the Passenger head easier?

Thanks in advance Lee.

Steve Pitts

I have a set of TA SE heads. My instructions call for 60-65 ft. lbs. on the 7/16 bolts that hold the plate for the 3 rocker shafts. I would suggest that you go NO MORE than 50 since mine pulled the threads on 3 of them @ 60 ft. lbs............

We have had that problem on Champion and TA heads.

If we do race heads especially, we recommend all the threaded holes be heli-coiled because of the higher spring pressure, and they will be on and off more often.:)

I have a set of TA SE heads. My instructions call for 60-65 ft. lbs. on the 7/16 bolts that hold the plate for the 3 rocker shafts. I would suggest that you go NO MORE than 50 since mine pulled the threads on 3 of them @ 60 ft. lbs.

And before someone suggest that I have my TOOL calibrated, just done a few weeks ago.

Lee,
Did the instruction call out any type of lube or sealent on the threads? I was thinking you wouldn't want to use something that is "too good", reducing friction to a point that threads pull before the frictional load (torque) is met. TA probably should specify a torque angle instead of force in this application.
Are you planning to helicoil the 3 bad ones or go ahead and fix them all? I am waiting on a set of T/A heads right now. Sounds like I should plan on doing this before installing.

Robert

Robert

holes

Lee,
Did the instruction call out any type of lube or sealent on the threads? I was thinking you wouldn't want to use something that is "too good", reducing friction to a point that threads pull before the frictional load (torque) is met. TA probably should specify a torque angle instead of force in this application.
Are you planning to helicoil the 3 bad ones or go ahead and fix them all? I am waiting on a set of T/A heads right now. Sounds like I should plan on doing this before installing.

Robert

Robert

I already had the head torqued down so I borrowed a tool and fixed the 3 with eng. on stand. No mention as to what lube to use on instruction sheet. No need for sealant since they go into a blind hole. Looking back I should have used less torque. I would suggest you heli-coil all 12 holes NOW.
I have went from hyd. roller lifters to solids and now back to hyd. so I would assume the many torque cycles have takens it toll.

I would suggest you heli-coil all 12 holes NOW.

That's a good idea...I wonder why the TA heads don't already come heli-coiled. I know that most of the aftermarket aluminum SBC heads have the rocker stud holes heli-coiled.

Lee, sorry to be off topic, but where did you go to get your torque wrench
re-calibrated, been thinking of my two wrenches for re-cal for a while but do not no where one would go for this.
thanks

Ron

Yep. I adjusted that torque too. Don't remember what the value is. It's noted at the shop. I would take Nick's advice and just helicoil all the holes. Also make sure you're getting adequate thread engagement with the bolt you're using. With aluminum, I like to see at least 1 1/2 times the diameter of the bolt with high torque values.

I put mine to 50 with moly lube no issues so far. Whats the reasoning behind 60ft lbs?

Factory

Lee, sorry to be off topic, but where did you go to get your torque wrench
re-calibrated, been thinking of my two wrenches for re-cal for a while but do not no where one would go for this.
thanks

Ron

I have a good friend who works @ a large factory where they do a lot of assembly on power train stuff. They are constantly checking their torque wrenches. He took all 3 of mine in and had them checked. Surprisingly they were very close. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks Lee, I will just go on that ASSumption that mine also will not be too far off.

Ron