TA49 vs Precision 6262

True BUICKTIME , Its been alot of good reading , I have talked with Bison and may make an upgrade with the turbo in the future , She pulls like a freight train now LOL

Ok , Let me clear up about going to the track . I had said in this post I haven't been to the track , But I have and the reason I said I hadn't is because this past summer I went to a local track 1/8 th mile and made a couple of passes . The best being 7.63 @ 24 lbs of Boost . I did not have a Line Lock installed , I'm doing that now , So I couldn't build any boost leaving , spinning the tires . Now please understand I AM a ROOKIE and was nervous as HELL . Yea I could have stayed and made more passes but I was not gonna beat on my car and plus it was hot as hell . I'm not gonna go to the track that much but I would like to say I have a ______ ( time slip ) fast car . So all that being said was to get back to the question ta49 vs 6262 . I was hooping a member has very close to my set up and may have had a 49 , A good 1st level upgrade turbo , and then went to a 6262 or something else and could give me some feed back if they could tell any gains or if its not worth the time or money . I have read all the post here and I do thank yall for the help and knowledge . TurboKeith
Wish I saw this post sooner. I had a TA49 after my stock turbo and it spooled well. A friend had a 6262 bb and we swapped it out and tried it, it took some peddle to spool; great on the highway, but a bitch to build boost on short road. Put the TA49 back on, then somthing passed thru my intake pipe and tore up the blades. Needed a quick replacement and bought a used precision 5858. That thing was a beast on stock setup, i would light the tires up every chance I had. Added, alky, fmic, tr6, bigger injectors, PTC converter and then went to a 6262 ball bearing. Initially I was somewhat dissappointed, but blew a head gasket and decided to upgrade heads, thanks Bison.
Once, i got it reassembled and dialed in, the 6262 showed its power. At the same boost level, but lower rpm I can tell the difference. Honestly, without the heads, the 6262 felt just like the 5858.

Hey NY_GN , Thanks man for the info , I have talked to Brian and he said bout what you said about a 6262 with good heads and maybe the 5858 for stock heads . I'm bout to get my tranny built soon and will have a new converter so its only time till I upgrade turbos , Thanks guys for all the info , I know I have learned from this thread

It seems the 5858 (620 hp rated, TA58 610 hp rated) would be a bit of an upgrade over the TA49 (545 hp rated).
Too bad there isn't something like a 6060, if that would be more in the middle?
Maybe no one would use one and that's why there isn't one?

Just thinking out loud.

Edit: (added 545 hp rated) & (TA58 610 hp rated)

Last edited:
It seems the 5858 (620 hp rated) would be a bit of an upgrade over the TA49.

Just thinking out loud.
You don't see the 5858 being run very much

It seems the 5858 (620 hp rated) would be a bit of an upgrade over the TA49.

Just thinking out loud.

There’s plenty of stuff available to cover that but the converter requirements change drastically. The 60-1 with t0469 (61mm exducer) was brutal but it didn’t really do much till good heads were used. Nothing hits like the t31 with the Garrett .63 especially when the converter is marginal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone running the t'netics te60 (60/62) ? I would think the ball bearing version would be in the middle? I have the te44 (60/57) but my car needs work before I can push it and give a review..

Would this be the TA49, TE44 or the TA58?

He talking about T31 exhaust wheel. Comes on the older ta49/44/6131....that's fine with .63

You have to find the balance between spool up and top end. With that being said , I would put a Pte or .82 on everything above 61mm.

60-1 or smaller a .63 is fine. But even small 60-1 (59mm) wheel with choke off in a .63 if you where pushing at it's max flow.

He talking about T31 exhaust wheel. Comes on the older ta49/44/6131....that's fine with .63

You have to find the balance between spool up and top end. With that being said , I would put a Pte or .82 on everything above 61mm.

60-1 or smaller a .63 is fine. But even small 60-1 (59mm) wheel with choke off in a .63 if you where pushing at it's max flow.

Thank you for putting it into laymans terms. Sometimes we get caught up in the bigger is better mentality and want to bolt on something bigger and go faster.

We're learning that it's not always about how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm.

Last edited:
2 things to keep in mind, most people don't max out their turbos and just because a turbo is rated XXX hp doesn't mean by just bolting it on will suddenly make your car produce that advertised hp.

I wouldn’t. I’ve been able to get the MFS 6262 all in on a stock exhaust housing.

Also most of the small turbos are pushed way past there advertised Hp rating.

I wouldn’t. I’ve been able to get the MFS 6262 all in on a stock exhaust housing.

Tough call Bison. 6262 Ball bearing with pte or .82 will spool faster AND have the ability to make much power than a journal 6262 with .63.

And it will be much easier to control boost with a larger exhaust housing.

Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Fortunately opinions matter zero when data proves otherwise

I wouldn’t expect you to understand. If you did you wouldn’t have posted

I wouldn’t expect you to understand. If you did you wouldn’t have posted

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk

Ouch, nice dickshot Bison but I'm pretty sure Precision knows what they're doing matching the bigger than stock (PTE) housing on the 6262 for the Buick crowd. :)

Btw, I replaced a very similar SMALLER journal bearing turbo with .63 that I purchased from you with T-6162 Ball Bearing with a .82. Spooled faster and my 60' improved with even less boost off the foot brake.