You can type here any text you want

tb.com nats proposed new heads up class "Grim's Real Street"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
OK, need to start another thread away from Gary's thread about his class. Shane and I spoke on this on Sunday about a simple street class that could be heads up. Yes there is TSO, TSM, THS, etc.... This class "should" have no more than a few rules that fit LOTS of cars that are already on the street. Now, IF you are looking for something simple please reply with your thought. If you have NO INTENT to come to tbnats or support a class like this then this thread is not one for you. Here is what I would like to seen in the class as well as Shane....

.5 Pro tree / Pro ladder
----------------------------
1. 3400-3500lb Car/Driver
2. Buick Regal / TTA
3. Turbo V6 (no stage or TA blocks) no nitrous. E85 ok, Alky spray ok
4. Turbochargers up to and including 62mm inlet - .63A/R - E cover (3x2) 3 bolt. (Recommended by P.Rubio)
5. SLIC (FMIC +50lbs maybe)
**6. Must have A/C in place with all lines/hoses hooked up. Whether it works or not is irrelevant.
** Not a must, simply a recommendation to keep other class cars out. Not looking for faster classes to fall back in to this one because they currently have a class to race in anyway. If your wanting a faster heads up class go with THS or TSM. If this class is too quick for your combo go with the 8.49 or 7.49 index classes...

These are 5-6 things that really should be enough to make a good side by side race. This would represent a low 11 - Mid/High 10 class. (.63 housing will keep it choked down on purpose). This would represent a 7.10 - 6.70ish 1/8th mile time at maybe 99-102mph...

What say you all??
Lets begin...

Please tell me if I'm way off on this, but..... and this will likely raise the hackles of bunch of folks, but here goes.

First off, I have to assume rule #3 means no race gas???

Make it even simpler. No E85, No alky. straight 93 octane pump gas.

opps, never mind, I just re-read the last part of yoru post, you're looking for low11 high 10 participation.

I'll detune a little and run the 8.49 ;)

not everyone has access to E85. everyone has access to pump gas / alky

I would absolutly support this class. If it came to the MWBC . If the a/c gets voted in i would put the unit back on but not the condensor(the unit in front of radiator.
1. 3400-3500lb Car/Driver ---- sounds reasonable
2. Buick Regal / TTA-------allow hybrids too -we want car count
3. Turbo V6 (no stage or TA blocks) no nitrous. E85 ok, Alky spray ok------sounds good
4. Turbochargers up to and including 62mm inlet - .63A/R - E cover (3x2) 3 bolt. (Recommended by P.Rubio) --sounds good
5. SLIC (FMIC +50lbs maybe)---no penalty for front mount **6. Must have A/C in place with all lines/hoses hooked up. Whether it works or not is irrelevant.---good point-are people going to buy a smaller turbo to enter this class when they already have a 70mm on the car?
** Not a must, simply a recommendation to keep other class cars out. Not looking for faster classes to fall back in to this one because they currently have a class to race in anyway

Please tell me if I'm way off on this, but..... and this will likely raise the hackles of bunch of folks, but here goes.

First off, I have to assume rule #3 means no race gas???

Make it even simpler. No E85, No alky. straight 93 octane pump gas.

opps, never mind, I just re-read the last part of yoru post, you're looking for low11 high 10 participation.

Doesn't say you can't use racegas.. Not looking to fit a certain ET either. The conversation I had today with Patrick at PTE stated that 10.60 would be working that turbo to death, keep in mind the small exhaust housing. SloGN ran in the low 7's, high 6's at Piedmont with a 6262

What else??

I would absolutly support this class. If it came to the MWBC . If the a/c gets voted in i would put the unit back on but not the condensor(the unit in front of radiator.
1. 3400-3500lb Car/Driver ---- sounds reasonable
2. Buick Regal / TTA-------allow hybrids too -we want car count
3. Turbo V6 (no stage or TA blocks) no nitrous. E85 ok, Alky spray ok------sounds good
4. Turbochargers up to and including 62mm inlet - .63A/R - E cover (3x2) 3 bolt. (Recommended by P.Rubio) --sounds good
5. SLIC (FMIC +50lbs maybe)---no penalty for front mount **6. Must have A/C in place with all lines/hoses hooked up. Whether it works or not is irrelevant.---good point-are people going to buy a smaller turbo to enter this class when they already have a 70mm on the car?
** Not a must, simply a recommendation to keep other class cars out. Not looking for faster classes to fall back in to this one because they currently have a class to race in anyway

Nice point. I can totally see that. Plus you are right, someone may buy a smaller turbo just to fall back into this class and that isnt the intent at all, they already have somewhere to race. We allow hybrids in the Index classes already, I seem to remember a buick powered RX7 winning an index class last year!! ;)

Nice point. I can totally see that. Plus you are right, someone may buy a smaller turbo just to fall back into this class and that isnt the intent at all, they already have somewhere to race. We allow hybrids in the Index classes already, I seem to remember a buick powered RX7 winning an index class last year!! ;)

Ya, that was John and I's entry. His car, with a little bit of tuning help from me, and of course a NEW Extender chip that cured a lot of "ills". :D

Good luck with this class, I look forward to seeing it run!!!!!

Thanks Clint. Our biggest problem is trying to figure out how to support the cause! I have the tow vehicle, John has the trailer. However, what do we bring. His GNX for the show, his RX7 for the 7.49 class, or my 86 for the 8.49 class. :confused:

sounds like a high class problem to have there Dave. Wish we all had that problem :biggrin:

I got an Idea Clint & Shane, Why don't you just take the TSR class and make it what you want? Clint you know I don't have the time to mess with running a class right now and you guy's would be more than welcome to take the class over and run with it... I still believe it will be a very popular class just by the amount of PM's I receive on a daily basis..

Just a thought..

Scot W.

I got an Idea Clint & Shane, Why don't you just take the TSR class and make it what you want? Clint you know I don't have the time to mess with running a class right now and you guy's would be more than welcome to take the class over and run with it... I still believe it will be a very popular class just by the amount of PM's I receive on a daily basis..

Just a thought..

Scot W.

Is the Road Course going WELL!!!

I hope!!!!

JD

ps I think it's a GOOD IDEA!!!

Just a thought..

Scot W.

No thanks, TSR will be what it is. This class is different. Just get the 2012 rules buttoned up and I will be glad to assist you best I can

I'd say that you'll see someone running 10.40 or faster with the rules you have proposed. Sounds interesting, makes me wish I hadn't upgraded the turbo.

....................These are 5-6 things that really should be enough to make a good side by side race. This would represent a low 11 - Mid/High 10 class. (.63 housing will keep it choked down on purpose). This would represent a 7.10 - 6.70ish 1/8th mile time at maybe 99-102mph...

What say you all??
Lets begin...

My opinion is that you need one more item to level the playing field, and that is a tire limitation.

You have weight [which I think is too light] type car, turbo [which I think is too big for a street class], and tires, which is critical is how well the car can leave the starting line for a good race.

This called is called "Real Street", remember when TSM was "Turbo Street Modified" and was thought to be a 10 sec. class? who would have thought at the time it would touch into the 8's with a 70 MM turbo. Actually the first proposal for TSM was a 67 turbo limit. :(

With what is proposed, I do NOT see this as a "REAL STREET" class and doubt that most owners will either.:(

Back