You can type here any text you want

tb.com nats proposed new heads up class "Grim's Real Street"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
NOTHING is remotely set in stone here guys so IDEAS ONLY are being tossed around...

My whole intent was to have a simple MM max as mentioned.... Nothing specific to one product...

I TRULY want this class to INCLUDE as many people as possible.... I have said from the beginning the less amount of rules the better IMO...

As far as the turbo, I think its a great idea. Just a question, with the 58mm limit this means you'd be able to use TA49/TE44s, Turbonetics 44s, and newer PTE billet 5857s, each with a with a .63 or .85 housing as longs as its no bigger than 3" in/2" out?

I'd love to bring my Red T down for this class.

See this is what Im talking about, Throwing ideas around for someone that might drive 500+ miles to run this class. The ONLY thing I see that in what you have listed here that I think would be the best is the .63 A/R only. Then again still want lots of participation in the class with minimal cost to the racers. Requires no teardown that I know of and is visible on the 3bolt housing.. No matter what is decided on rest assured that there will be a way to verify the size. Already asked for help with this and it will be a non issue. Only thing that I can say that will be certain is the 3x2 cover.

Speaking of ideas. Would you consider opening the turbo rule up to allow a 4 bolt, it's a small enough turbo?? I'm thinking specifically about Borg Warner EFR turbos.

There are two I'm thinking of. The 6258 which has a compressor inducer size of 49.6, and a .64 undivided turbine housing.
Or the 6758 which has a compressor inducer of 53.9, and a .64 undivided turbine housing.

I doubt you'd see one at the next race, maybe one if any. But just wanted to open the field up even more. As you can see, these are even smaller than the 49/44's.

I like the ideas being thrown around. Personally I think the 275 tire limit for drag radials is generous as thats what I usually run anyway and woldn't really limit anything. I like the 235 drag radial and 275 street tire limit better. I don't think I'd be able to hit it as hard off the tbrake with the 235s. With 275 DRs I was able to lift the tires even with a stock turbo and hit 1.5 60fts.

As far as the turbo, I think its a great idea. Just a question, with the 58mm limit this means you'd be able to use TA49/TE44s, Turbonetics 44s, and newer PTE billet 5857s, each with a with a .63 or .85 housing as longs as its no bigger than 3" in/2" out?

I'd love to bring my Red T down for this class.

I understand your point, but my counter is that you can get the 275 series tire in 15, 16 and 17 size at least.

If you allow a 4 bolt turbo and wish to be competitve you will HAVE to have one. 99% of the guys will not convert their cars, instant dead class with no car count. As much as I think that billet wheels, ESR, different brands and all that is cool the simple facts remain. There has been more 44/49's sold over the years than anything. I will bet money than I personally have sold more 44/49's than all 5857's sold by all Buick vendors combined. Limit also makes them so it is not "one brand". I really dont care guys I was really hoping that we could just one time see a heads up class that the majority of people could get into cheap and easy without politics and testing the limits of new tech to go way faster than they need to for fun. A billet 5857 with an .85 housing is IMO a very interesting choice and from a personal perspective would be great. At the same time it is IMO another class killer due to the power it will create and the high cost which will stop people from coming in. As far as "limiting this to one brand" let get get real here folks. In the end if you make a 58MM limit there is going to be one turbo from one company that makes the most power and that is the one you will have to buy if you really want to be in the game, so lets say a guy has a 6262 and then goes and buys a 58 from whoever to run and finds out he bought the wrong one. Do you really think he is going to run out and buy another? Or buy a new one every year as these companies keep coming out with new products? Do you want a product showcase or a race class? Most guys will sell the 58 at a loss and say this sucks, another class dead. I had my say thanks for the discussion I will you the best of luck with this I really feel it could be great
ML

Mike, the 4 bolts I was referring to aren't exactly the typical monsters one thinks about. These are pretty small turbos by comparison to the 49/44. But yes you're right, very few are going to run out and modify their header to a 4 bolt and their downpipe to a V band just to run these. I was just asking, what if somebody showed up with one?

if they just showed they would not be allowed, the rule would state a 3 bolt .63 housing.
Mike

or maybe the rule could say: any non-billet 58mm 3 bolt .63 housing

I'd be all for not allowing the more expensive billet 58 turbos and keep this a cheaper class. Lots of 44/49 turbos out there and even new ones are relatively cheap. This would still allow a Turbonetics 44 too (which I think is similar powerwise).

Keeping the 275 limit for all tires except slicks makes it easy for the rules. Might want to specify that they need to be radials (drag radials ok) to get rid of some of the tweener tires.

Sounds like fun.

Back