You can type here any text you want

tb.com nats proposed new heads up class "Grim's Real Street"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
don't think Charlie meant anything by it. I understand his reasoning yet no performance advantage/disadvantage in any way. Charlie are you coming to NC and if so will you be running one of these classes??

I would love to but the time issue is the thing for me Clint. Hopefully I'll have enough in the bank to shut the shop down and take my first vacation in 5 years. Granted, it's still a slow carb turbo car. but it should be fun if I can make it.:cool:

.5 Pro tree / Pro ladder
----------------------------
4. Turbochargers up to and including TA/TE 44

So someone will be teching both sides of the turbo? Or just the inlet of a 58mm wheel?

Maybe allow any 58mm turbo with a .63 housing? Either PTE or Garrett housing?

K.

So someone will be teching both sides of the turbo? Or just the inlet of a 58mm wheel?

Maybe allow any 58mm turbo with a .63 housing? Either PTE or Garrett housing?

K.

Not exactly sure. Working with Joe from PTE so whenever the final decision is made he will make something specifically on the 44 turbo to somehow measure it. I would say .63 housing only but whatever the masses decide with what is currently listed in the rules. Gonna try to stay away from the hair splitting as it were

This sounds very interesting! I love the fact that a 44 turbo will be the limit. Weight sounds about right and couldn't agree more with Dusty whether it has a/c or not. The 275 radial sounds good too.Saying that I haven't got a car that will fit this class right now. However I have my current car for sale and when/if it sales would like having a class like this to to join. Was thinking about another kind of car besides a Buick. If there were a class like this I would stay right here at home with my Buicks.

Wow been away for awhile and was really surprised with all the new looks to the board....Looks Great!

Seen the weigh tossed around on the 1st page of the thread and just want to chime in that my Gray Regal w/ astro roof weighed 3509 on the scale down there year before last and it's not had any weigh removed. Heck that was with spare tire & jack, laptop & case as well as all the original sound dampner.

Wow been away for awhile and was really surprised with all the new looks to the board....Looks Great!

Seen the weigh tossed around on the 1st page of the thread and just want to chime in that my Gray Regal w/ astro roof weighed 3509 on the scale down there year before last and it's not had any weigh removed. Heck that was with spare tire & jack, laptop & case as well as all the original sound dampner.
Weights are with driver. So that would put you around the 3700 mark if you are around 190 or so

PROPOSED TURBO RULE CHANGE!!

.5 Pro tree / Pro ladder
----------------------------
1. 3600lb Car/Driver
2. Regal / TTA / Hybrids
3. Turbo V6 (no stage or TA blocks) no nitrous. E85 ok, Alky spray ok
4. Turbochargers up to and including 58MM Compressor as measured at the inducer, with E (type) cover (3x2) and up to 62mm Turbine
5. Tires up to and including 275 series, no slicks

Thoughts??

Here is my thought, WHY!? now a guy has to buy an expensive new turbo instead of a turbo that tons of people have laying around or can be bought for under 700 new. I don't get why every time someone whats to put a class together they just want to keep making is faster and more expensive so less guys will come in. So please explain the logic here and why this is a better choice?
Mike

Here is my thought, WHY!? now a guy has to buy an expensive new turbo instead of a turbo that tons of people have laying around or can be bought for under 700 new. I don't get why every time someone whats to put a class together they just want to keep making is faster and more expensive so less guys will come in. So please explaine the logic here and why this is a better choice?
Mike

Mike it is a simple recommendation, thats it!! The thread almost ground to a stop so thought I would ask. Shane said he was good and thought the turbo rule as the only holdout to making a class. There is no problem with the 44, just throwing around ideas :). If there seems to be no problems with the rules regarding the 44 then Im all for it. Keith also made a suggestion around the same turbo as John had mentioned, I believe that to be the case... We will keep this thread going until after BG is complete. If the basic rules seem to work just fine then I say the 44 will be the victor..

Mike it is a simple recommendation, thats it!! The thread almost ground to a stop so thought I would ask. Shane said he was good and thought the turbo rule as the only holdout to making a class. There is no problem with the 44, just throwing around ideas :). If there seems to be no problems with the rules regarding the 44 then Im all for it. Keith also made a suggestion around the same turbo as John had mentioned, I believe that to be the case... We will keep this thread going until after BG is complete. If the basic rules seem to work just fine then I say the 44 will be the victor..

I don't have a problem with it Clint, but I do have a question for ya though. Mines a hybred, but, it is using the stock 86-7 exhaust housing (.63 AR) and an M-10 Garret inducer housing (.60 AR). I believe this would fit in the class and I've tried to get someone to give me an idea of what it's equal in the 86-87 design is but no dice.

Here is reality, whatever turbo you pick, if you don't have one your going to have to buy one. I got no dog in this fight but it just seems to me that if it cheap and easy more people will do it. This propsed rule is actually better for me in the end I may get to sell some turbos. Have fun boys :) FYI no one has answered my question as to WHY this is a better choice.
Mike

Here is reality, whatever turbo you pick, if you don't have one your going to have to buy one. I got no dog in this fight but it just seems to me that if it cheap and easy more people will do it. This propsed rule is actually better for me in the end I may get to sell some turbos. Have fun boys :) FYI no one has answered my question as to WHY this is a better choice.
Mike

Exactly.... Would you say as a vendor that you sell more 44's than 5857 or 5862's?? One vendor told me the have sold lots of 5857's... Im saying that if they are already out there and the have the same inducer size as the 44 then someone would not have to spend the money to buy them in the first place. The 10 HP diff between the 57 and 62. 62 means wouldnt have to remove downpipe to look at numbers stamped in the housing. And just as you say, I have no dog in this fight either.. Just suggestions.. And as for why it would be a better choice.. I personally can't answer that one. Also Charlie I wouldnt see why the turbo you have on your hybrid wouldn't be allowed at this point. Maybe call and try and get more info about it.. Mike might could help you with it. Give him a shout.

I just wish that more people who would like to run this class give their input as well...

PROPOSED TURBO RULE CHANGE!!
This turbo is only available in a .63 A/R with multiple compressor covers. Multiple Vendors sell a lot of these turbos and has the same compressor wheel as the 44 and essentially and upgrade from older 44's and would make a good fit for what this class is trying to accomplish...

Turbochargers up to and including 58MM Compressor as measured at the inducer, with E (type) cover (3x2) and up to 62mm Turbine

Thoughts??

Sorry, have to tell what I think. :mad:

How can ANY class rule include a specific item from one manufacturer?

I am confused, first there were rules made by so-called racers, now we are going to a manufacturer to define rules?

If they have a turbo with wheels the same size as 44/49 turbos, who cares, but why specify their product?

I agree. Why specify ANYTHING about the turbo other than size? You restrict it to a manufacturer and things really get questionable. I mean, what if I or my Son-In-Law wanted to run a Borg Warner EFR turbo????

If if fits the size, who cares? I'm sure it would be outlawed though because it's a 4 bolt, even though it would meet the size requirement.

I agree with Nick, For clarification the wording needs to reflect the size in MM for the compressor and turbine wheels and not the using a specific vendors nomenclature.
If the limit is going to be 58MM it should read that with a slight buffer.
To answer previous questions I have no agenda, I just believe people should be able to use a turbo that was designed less than 15 years ago in a new class.

Am I assuming correctly that the 58MM limit is the compressor inducer?

Am I assuming correctly that the 58MM limit is the compressor inducer?

No, Simply throwing ideas around to generate more interest in the class, And also to your previous post no as well. Not looking for this class to be vendor / manufacturer specific in any way. If the class is going to be successful it needs racers

I like the ideas being thrown around. Personally I think the 275 tire limit for drag radials is generous as thats what I usually run anyway and woldn't really limit anything. I like the 235 drag radial and 275 street tire limit better. I don't think I'd be able to hit it as hard off the tbrake with the 235s. With 275 DRs I was able to lift the tires even with a stock turbo and hit 1.5 60fts.

As far as the turbo, I think its a great idea. Just a question, with the 58mm limit this means you'd be able to use TA49/TE44s, Turbonetics 44s, and newer PTE billet 5857s, each with a with a .63 or .85 housing as longs as its no bigger than 3" in/2" out?

I'd love to bring my Red T down for this class.

I don't mind such a limit, I was merely looking for clerification. 58mm inducer or exducer? I guess I can assume inducer since there's no way to measure exducer without a turbo tear down.

Back