You can type here any text you want

tell me about pistons...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Does anyone here, have measurements I would need, to go shopping for pistons?
I guess things like pin diameter, compression height, ring lands width, and bore. And what are the tolerances for these measurements? This would be for a mild build up in a stock 109.

Does anyone here, have measurements I would need, to go shopping for pistons?
I guess things like pin diameter, compression height, ring lands width, and bore. And what are the tolerances for these measurements? This would be for a mild build up in a stock 109.

You would have to measure these things. No one can do it from behind a computer. You need to know you rod length and desired compression ratio. Plenty of off the shelf pistons will likely fit you application. If your doing a mild build up you should retain the stock pistons. Stock rods are 5.95", stock stroke is 3.4"

I see. (I knew you'd chime in. and glad too) The reason I'm seeking extra's, is because I want to build at my own pace, while I learn. So that the buick isn't down while I'm tinkering. Her bullet's going to Mr. Diers for a real rebuild. These parts I seek, is at my own pace, when it's convenient. When I finally assemble the short block parts, I will begin my first journey into the lower half of engines. (hopefully, it'll be in school, which I've just signed up for)

The deck height on untouched stock blocks has been measured by a couple members recently. Im not sure what it was. Id definitely measure it carefully before ordering pistons if your looking for exact numbers. If you want to have 9:1 compression with a piston that has 25-27cc dish you will need to be at or very close to zero deck on a 3.8 bore and have smaller than 50cc heads and thin head gaskets.

The deck height on untouched stock blocks has been measured by a couple members recently. Im not sure what it was. Id definitely measure it carefully before ordering pistons if your looking for exact numbers. If you want to have 9:1 compression with a piston that has 25-27cc dish you will need to be at or very close to zero deck on a 3.8 bore and have smaller than 50cc heads and thin head gaskets.

Uhh, do I want 9:1 compression? lol. Actually, bone stock would be fine with me. (which is...? i forgot lol)
And 50cc heads? Is that stock I'm taking it? :redface:

Uhh, do I want 9:1 compression? lol. Actually, bone stock would be fine with me. (which is...? i forgot lol)
And 50cc heads? Is that stock I'm taking it? :redface:

More compression = better everything but will reduce the detonation tolerance a lot. If unsure about it then stay around 8:1Stock is a tick under 8:1. Stock heads are 49cc's i think. Not positve though could be 47. Maybe someone will CC a stock set. I would but all mine have different valves and combustion chamber mods so they arent stock cc.

Yea, I hear that "better everything" thing on raising compression... Though, tell me this bison; Why is the phrase "NA, run high compression. forced induc, stay with ultra low compression." soooo prevalent? I read it everywhere.. and while talking to a guy at the car show a month ago, he was considering putting a turbo on his sbc 73 camaro, and he said the same thing. I said that I heard different. I remember reading someone on this board typing, "there is no down side to raising the compression". So now I'm confused. Though, I believe you, over most other people.
Can you explain to me exactly how raising the compresison on our engines, helps us benefit? Because I may want to take advantage of this as well. Plus I really want to step up my technical knowlege of engine internals and nuances. (if you have the time)

Yea, I hear that "better everything" thing on raising compression... Though, tell me this bison; Why is the phrase "NA, run high compression. forced induc, stay with ultra low compression." soooo prevalent? I read it everywhere.. and while talking to a guy at the car show a month ago, he was considering putting a turbo on his sbc 73 camaro, and he said the same thing. I said that I heard different. I remember reading someone on this board typing, "there is no down side to raising the compression". So now I'm confused. Though, I believe you, over most other people.
Can you explain to me exactly how raising the compresison on our engines, helps us benefit? Because I may want to take advantage of this as well. Plus I really want to step up my technical knowlege of engine internals and nuances. (if you have the time)
There is a detonation limit for every combo/ engine design based ont he type of fuel they are running. You can gain a decent amount (especially in heads up racing) bumping the CR. You cant run 12:1 and 20 psi on gasoline though. If you have 2 engines nearly identical the one with the higher CR up to a certain point will have the most potential. My stage 2 is 10:1. Its a high octane application though. Most likely a straight diet of C16 over 20psi. Dont let the NA thing full you either. They have a detonation limit too. They will tolerate a higher CR than a boosted engine but still require a lot of octane in high CR applications

What about, if I plan on running 15 psi, on slightly bigger turbo than stock, with alky. What do you think I could get away with?

What about, if I plan on running 15 psi, on slightly bigger turbo than stock, with alky. What do you think I could get away with?
You would be better staying around 8.5:1 for an alky 93 application and run more boost. 3 psi more boost will make a lot more power than a jump from 8:1 to 9:1. Big jumps in compression ratio is one of the last things you would do. You do it when you have exhausted other options. My 9.3:1 engine will detonate at 14-15psi on straight 93 even with aluminum heads and conservative timing.

May i ask a ?? in this post. Im wanting to put together a stroker 4.1, but all the stroker kits i see are for 3.8, and i need a larger diamiter piston for the 4.1. What would the piston dimentions be for a 3.65 stoke crank? Also i was wondering if using a 4inch chevy piston would save on cost, and what over bore size would that be on a 4.1?

May i ask a ?? in this post. Im wanting to put together a stroker 4.1, but all the stroker kits i see are for 3.8, and i need a larger diamiter piston for the 4.1. What would the piston dimentions be for a 3.65 stoke crank? Also i was wondering if using a 4inch chevy piston would save on cost, and what over bore size would that be on a 4.1?

Need a lot more info to answer the first question. Need to know desired comp ratio, deck height, and rod length. 4" equals .035 over on a 4.1. That is a common thin to do even though it doesnt really save on cost because you need a quality turbo piston. In reality you need 6 vs. 8 so that is savings in itself unless you want to 2 spares which is a good idea.

how much would he actually gain, strokin a 4.1. is it worth it to you bison?

Depends on his goals. There is some considerable gain with the cubes. A waste on a production block though. Stage block or TA block id be stroking it. No pun intended.

Need a lot more info to answer the first question. Need to know desired comp ratio, deck height, and rod length. 4" equals .035 over on a 4.1. That is a common thin to do even though it doesnt really save on cost because you need a quality turbo piston. In reality you need 6 vs. 8 so that is savings in itself unless you want to 2 spares which is a good idea.
Ok, the comp ratio as long as i stay below 9;1, and the 3.65 stroker kit i see for 3.8 come with 6.35 rods. Any stroker kit they are sell for the 3.8, i just want to know what the piston would be for the 4.1, same comp ratio, same deck height, i hear the 4.1s deck is .025 taller than the 3.8. I have inexpensive pistons in the engine i have now. Was thinking all chevy stuff is chaep and plentyful.

Ok, the comp ratio as long as i stay below 9;1, and the 3.65 stroker kit i see for 3.8 come with 6.35 rods. Any stroker kit they are sell for the 3.8, i just want to know what the piston would be for the 4.1, same comp ratio, same deck height, i hear the 4.1s deck is .025 taller than the 3.8. I have inexpensive pistons in the engine i have now. Was thinking all chevy stuff is chaep and plentyful.

Do you want the pistons in the hole, at zero deck or out? Without that info you cant aquire a compression height. The only short deck 3.8 is the 109 casting all others were taller production or stage blocks. Theres nothing cheap about building a 4.1

Back