You can type here any text you want

TH350 or 2004r?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sams86gn

My 2004r needs rebuilt but my question is, should I just get a TH350 or have the 2004r rebuilt? I'm thinking a lot of people will suggest a Th350 and if so, how much trouble is it to put one in?

sams86gn said:
My 2004r needs rebuilt but my question is, should I just get a TH350 or have the 2004r rebuilt? I'm thinking a lot of people will suggest a Th350 and if so, how much trouble is it to put one in?

IMO you would be better off with the 2004R, but then again I don't know how you use or plan on using the car. By installing a TH350 your losing overdrive, not to mention you will need to replace your trans crossmember with either one from a non OD car or an aftermarket piece. I'm not exactly sure on this but the driveshaft may be a different length, I know they are different as far as G body's with 7.625 ring gears vs the 8.5 ring gear. Hope this helps.

That's a weighted question. If you're making less than 700hp and driven a lot it's probably best to keep the 200-4r. If you are going to go faster the 350 or 400 might be a better choice. There are some advantages to the 3 speeds that make them a better choice than a 200 at. certain level and the valve body selection is better if you want reverse manual with electric trans brake. All depends on the needs.

I did forget to mention, the car will be for mostly cruising with a few visits to the track a year. I'm concerned with the reliability of the 2004r. PTC quoted 850-1000 to rebuild and that comes with a 6 month warranty.

My buddy just called and said he has a trans out of a 95 v6 3.8 camaro. Will that work in my GN or not? I can basically have it if it does

I believe that is a 4L60E transmission? I believe it may bolt up, but you are going to need to swap converters, have a driveshaft built, and most likely you will need a transmission controller, because it is electronically controlled. Its going to cost more than that rebuild on the 200, and it probably won't hold up to the power in stock form. I suggest just having the 200 built. What kind of times/HP are you running?

Zack

Stock motor with TT chip, 60s, Ls MAF with translator, and plan on alky in the near future. Plan on keeping the stock turbo for awhile though

I'd just have the 200 rebuilt. 800$ is cheap for a rebuild. Most range from 1500 all the way up to 4k for fully built billet trans. If it's the PTC Dusty works for, I am sure its going to be a quality build. The 200 will last forever with the power you are putting down.

Zack

It is the same PTC and that price is including them going through the torque converter and adding a little more stall.

I agree. I just hope I'm not pulling this thing back out in a year wishing I had of gone with a th350 the first time. I think I am going to take the 200 to PTC tomorrow

X2, Rebuild the 2004R.
+ The 700R4/4L60/4L60E Trans only bolt up to Chevy engines, it wont fit a BOP/BuickOldsPontiac engine unless you have an Adapter Plate. 95 Camaro 3.8L is Chevy not Buick.

Performance Torque Converters in Alabama. It was started in the mid-90s by Kenny Ford who, at the time, was a 20-year TCI employee and was heading up the race converter dept. You couldn't find a nicer person and he knows his stuff.

Meanbuicks is correct. They stay very busy and most of the time it's hard to get Kenny on the phone, but luckily for me I live 5 min away!

It's the same one he gets his converters from, not sure how he is involved with them because he lives in Decatur which is 45 min away but yes it's the same PTC

It's the same one he gets his converters from, not sure how he is involved with them because he lives in Decatur which is 45 min away but yes it's the same PTC

The trans shop can rebuild it for you. I personally stay away from the 200r rebuild business. They are a headache for the guys who specialize in them. I keep my distance. lol

If your just looking for a stock type rebuild they can handle it and will stand behind it. I had my fill of 200's years ago and am happy to say I will run a T-350,400 or glide everyday of the week unless I buy a GN for a daily driver. It's just my personal preference.

Back