thinking about checking this car out, what do you think

loki993

ok I was crusing on auto trader last night and came across an 87 GN for a really good price, so it seems. I want to know what you all think of it.

also any of you from the florida area, have you seen this car and do you know anything about it. herese the link. need some quick answers, may go check it out this week.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

it says the car was damaged in wilma last year. from the pics, which are limited, it looks like a tree hit it or something, there is damage pretty much all along the right side of the car. also I see the transformer sticker in the back window, dont know, but normally when ive seen this it was kids and imports. I just dont want a car that has been beaten. other than that the car looks perfect, what do you guys think?? is the price a bit high for a car with that much damage?? how much will it cost me to get it all fixed or do it my self?? also whats a fair price to offer?? also you guys here in florida, any reason I shouldnt go see the car, you know anything about it. thanks

ok I was crusing on auto trader last night and came across an 87 GN for a really good price, so it seems. I want to know what you all think of it.

also any of you from the florida area, have you seen this car and do you know anything about it. herese the link. need some quick answers, may go check it out this week.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

it says the car was damaged in wilma last year. from the pics, which are limited, it looks like a tree hit it or something, there is damage pretty much all along the right side of the car. also I see the transformer sticker in the back window, dont know, but normally when ive seen this it was kids and imports. I just dont want a car that has been beaten. other than that the car looks perfect, what do you guys think?? is the price a bit high for a car with that much damage?? how much will it cost me to get it all fixed or do it my self?? also whats a fair price to offer?? also you guys here in florida, any reason I shouldnt go see the car, you know anything about it. thanks
looks like a great deal,do a carfax and make sure it dont have a rebuilt or some crap like that...if its comes back clean its woth it easy,imo...3k in paint and body and you have a mint car,heck part it out and make even more...

I think the price is good. Make sure the engine is as stated. Would make a great street car for sure.

Are you nucking futs!? $6900 aint a bargain if you cant see the damage. I'd ask to see some more photos with some detail in them. That sunroof is aftermarket. Any car in FL with a home made hole in its roof is going to leak water. I can guarantee it. I've never seen a rust free T-top car in the years I've been down here. I'd pass on this dandy unless you can inspect in person.

No pictures of the engine either. 90% of these cars are the engine. What mods? Have parts been replaced with the correct ones? Plenty of things to look for in other words.

Are you nucking futs!? $6900 aint a bargain if you cant see the damage. I'd ask to see some more photos with some detail in them. That sunroof is aftermarket. Any car in FL with a home made hole in its roof is going to leak water. I can guarantee it. I've never seen a rust free T-top car in the years I've been down here. I'd pass on this dandy unless you can inspect in person.

No pictures of the engine either. 90% of these cars are the engine. What mods? Have parts been replaced with the correct ones? Plenty of things to look for in other words.

By his post I assumed that he was local to the car and therefore would check it out before purchase. But you do bring great ideas of things to look for in that roof.

yeah 1/4 damage gets expensive... unless youre a body guy.... i would look closer and in person....or have a TRUSTED Body guy look at it.. JM2Cents

yes im about an hour and a half away from the car. yes I would go check it out in person before I bought it. I spoke to the guy on the phone today and it seems to be as advertised, basically some large tree branches fell on it during hurricane wilma, thats what caused the damage. the front fender, rear quarter, maybe the hood and right behind the quarter window. he just put it up recently and said he will post more pics, mainly of the engine, which i asked him about. he says the inteior is excellent, it runs great and shifts hard, he thinks there is a shift kit in it because he says that 1-2 is really hard. the car is from tennesee and the previous owner was a stickler for maintinence. the only mod is a full flowmaster cat back. everything else is bone stock, the previous owner even sent the turbo back to turbonetics to get it rebuilt. I asked him about rust, he said the only place where there is rust is one small spot below the quarter window. doorsills and the bottoms of the doors are fine. he also said the the quarters have some bondo work on them, you can see it well in the side shot, its right under the quarter window back, the tree cracked the paint and bondo on that side, he says its also on the other side as well, bondo, not cracked paint, im taking that as the car has probally been painted. he also said that he had gotten an estimate for the body work and it was around 3k and thats with the bodyshop getting parts. he said the title is clean. the sunroof was a question I had, I didnt ask him, not really sure if he knows. GNs did not come with sunroofs, did they??? just the astroroof that didnt open right?? he said it dosnt leak, but aftermarket sunroofs always worried me. could it be possible it was an astroroof car and they took that out and made it a sunroof??? dont know. Im still really thinking about looking at it, it seems like a good deal, if its what he says it is, which I do.

yeah 1/4 damage gets expensive... unless youre a body guy.... i would look closer and in person....or have a TRUSTED Body guy look at it.. JM2Cents

yeah one problem, I havent been here that long, dont have a trusted body guy.

snuckin futs or not its worth it...easy...also what makes you think its not a factory roof,id bet 2k it is......it may have some dumb lund wind visor on it,but its factory foo sure...;)

so they did come with power sunroofs??? I always thought they just came with moonroofs, meaning to me at least, that it was basically just a window in the roof, that didnt open.

it may have some dumb lund wind visor on it,but its factory foo sure...

well that would come off about 2 minutes after it got home, I hate those things, plus they screw up the paint, just like bras. Im sure theres a ring underneath it. unless its a stick on :eek:

so they did come with power sunroofs??? I always thought they just came with moonroofs, meaning to me at least, that it was basically just a window in the roof, that didnt open.

well that would come off about 2 minutes after it got home, I hate those things, plus they screw up the paint, just like bras. Im sure theres a ring underneath it. unless its a stick on :eek:
yes they came with it..i had a 86 t-type with the power sunroof/moonroof or whatever you call it:confused: and my car had the factory crank handle you could put on and use if the electric messed up(if i remember right),but i know they come with it,so im guessing this is factory..i mean it could be aftermarket added on one,but then again it could have had electric windows and they took them off and made it manual crank,anythings possible,but odds are its factory...

I'm looking at that cheapa$$ wind deflector on the roof! Not enough detail to see but it looked like an NON-OEM astroroof. I didn't say you couldn't get one as an option. I'll stand by my statement. FL cars with holes in their roofs will leak, sooner or later. Check that floor pan real close. And I'll say $6900 is way to much for a money pit like that. Even with body work and new paint you will never break even.

thanks again kenny, appriciate it.

Check that floor pan real close. And I'll say $6900 is way to much for a money pit like that. Even with body work and new paint you will never break even.

I will, but I dont think it would be a money pit. yes it needs some body work, but the rest of the car is mint, the interior is supposedly excellent save for a crack in the dash by one of the speaker holes, that just about every GM car in that age group has, the car supposedly runs and shifts perfectly also and is bone stock, not that it would stay that way if i got it :), but still. if its as advertised and as good as the pics look, which it may not, but it also could be, than i think its worth it. if it wasnt for the body work this car could go for 10-12k easy with the milage on it and the condition it looks to be in. am I wrong?? plus there just going to keep going up.

do you know of any other cars in the area, that are in good shape for around the same price?? if so I can take a look at them too, I was looking at that one because I thought it was at a dealer, the guy is a dealer, but its his car and he said he couldnt finance me throught the dealership, so im looking at outside financing. so anything in the area, in that price range could be fair game. 86-87 T or GN dosnt matter, if its a T just about any color except black, unless its a we4, or red, not many of those anyway. white, grey and silver are the ones I like best though. hard top or astroroof, no T tops, prefer hardtop. no digital dash and if its a T it has the have the blackout package and posi. highly doubtful but if anyone has a wh1 around in that price range I would probally be very very interested.

If that car was local to me i would buy it if....

There was no damage to the door
No rust on the doors, 1/4s, decklid, or rocker panels, floor ect
Pretty much stock, no birds nest wiring under the hood
Rest of the paint was fair to good
No hail damage
Motor and trans were original, stock trans and drives out AOK.

Im sure you could talk him down 1000.00 with cash in hand. If he is a dealer, he bought it for 2000.00 at the auction and a easy transaction is what he wants.

I have a GN fender or 2 with original trimming and badges if you need.

The 1/4 panel opera damage doesnt look bad at all in the picture, about 2 hours of work and its fixed.

If it was local, id put a new fender and get that fixed. Then fix the 1/4 and spot paint it.
Drive it for 100,000 miles and sell it for more than what you paid for it.

If you paint the car, then everyone will try and pick it apart, if the paint is presentable, then its a driver!!!:biggrin:

BW

You get what you pay for. Why would anybody spend $7K on a 90K GN that he knows nothing about, other than a tree fell on it?

Is that really the market for GNs now? They never go below $7K, or above $15K? Might as well buy a mint one. A lot less pain down the road...

strike

You get what you pay for. Why would anybody spend $7K on a 90K GN that he knows nothing about, other than a tree fell on it?

Is that really the market for GNs now? They never go below $7K, or above $15K? Might as well buy a mint one. A lot less pain down the road...

strike

Well, the car seems to be fairly decent other than the new obvious damage.

His asking price is what, 6900.00?
Buy it for 5900.00, repair the damage for less than 900.00 and have a decent original Driver GN for around 7000.00 plus tires and maintenance.

I purchased my dads WE4 in 10 minutes, i didnt know the owner the car or much about it when i drove it home.
I saw it, liked it, it was a deal and been happy for 4.5 years:biggrin:

The WE4 isnt perfect, my dad drives it as much as possible. Now he wants a limited.

These cars are fun :biggrin:

BW

Attachments

• 100_1077 (Small).jpg
    100_1077 (Small).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 104