Towing an Airstream

Sixxshot87

Hi guys i need to know if/where i can get a class 3 or 4 hitch for an 87 turbo limited to pull an airstream with. the tongue weight is no more than 740lbs. (try not to sidetrack on weather or not the car's drivetrain can do it I know what can and can't pull one of these please). I found a class 3 but it maxes at like 400-500 lbs which isn't enough. However any info or storys about towing will help TY.

Towing not recommended since you will most always be on boost and that won't be good for the engine (headers will be glowing most of the time for example). If you still insist in this, get a weight distribution hitch and that will take the load off the tongue.

The original owner of my car towed a small, light, 15 ft. Cajun bass boat with my car about 500 miles, and only made it 400, when the cherry red glowing exhaust melted/shorted a bunch of wires and left him on fire/smoking/stranded on the highway... Luckily he had a fire extiguisher in the boat! :eek: I had the class 3/4 (?) frame mounted hitch (it was BEEFY) removed when the car was painted and let the body shop keep it.... but I'm pretty sure you can get a standard generic frame mounted tow bar/hitch from just about anywhere? :confused: Maybe JC Whitney or similar? Definitely not recommended though... bad idea...

First, what's the tounge weight of the trailer. Airstreams are extremely heavy. if the trailer will out weigh the car so I wouldn't even attempt it.

towing

Ok, i'll say it. Why in the hell would anyone want to tow with a Turbo Buick?? :rolleyes:

In 87, I bought a new Regal T with the 307 V8 for a daily driver. We used it to tow a 1500 lb camper. It pulled it just fine. But we went through ALOT of brakes and 2 transmissions on that car before we traded it in on a new truck.

Don't tow the Airstream w/ a Turbo Regal. Get/Purchase/Rent a full size pick -up, with a frame mounted hitch (preferably a 3/4ton)

Airstreams AND Turbo Regals - protect and enjoy them.

Popcorn time...

Ok guys.. back off. He's already stated he knows what can/cannot be towed w/ his Regal.:rolleyes:
"the tongue weight is no more than 740lbs".:eek:
"Experience" is his best teacher....:D

From airstream.com - trailers weigh between 3000 - 8000 lbs :eek:
Hooking it up to a 3200 stall :rolleyes:

lol the trailer weighs 4600. tounge weight is 700. I can definitely see having to watch the EGTs among other things I mean that is a given. Is the main problem being in boost or? I mean i know turbo diesels exist for a reason but at the same time I cant see what the problem is if I open my wastegate up and just keep boost at around 5lbs on hills and 0 on flat land and just watch ETGs and Cooling of both engine and transmission. Keep shooting holes in it i need to know this stuff even if I don't want to agree with it.

lol the trailer weighs 4600. tounge weight is 700. I can definitely see having to watch the EGTs among other things I mean that is a given. Is the main problem being in boost or? I mean i know turbo diesels exist for a reason but at the same time I cant see what the problem is if I open my wastegate up and just keep boost at around 5lbs on hills and 0 on flat land and just watch ETGs and Cooling of both engine and transmission. Keep shooting holes in it i need to know this stuff even if I don't want to agree with it.

Lets see if I understand what you're planning to do. Tow a non powered item with a vehicle that weighs 1K less? And on top of this with inferior brakes? You've got to be kidding, right?:confused:

IMHO, it will be impossible to keep boost below 5#'s and still be able to move at anything resembling any highway speed, unless you plan to only drive downhill. You will melt lots under the hood.

This has got to be darn near the top of the list of the dumbest ideas I've seen on TB.com.

Are you really serious ? This is such a ridiculous idea, it HAS to be a joke.

A 4600lb trailer will be a chore for a 1/2 ton pickup truck. You are out of your mind if you think a G body will tow it.

My enclosed car trailer weighs 4200lbs without a car in it, and I wouldn't want to pull it with anything less than my 2500HD pickup.

I wouldnt tow anything bigger than a jetski with a turbo regal... Or mabye one of those baby u haul trailers if you were in hot rod drag week or something lol...I dunno if you wanna ride that train i wouldnt risk destroying either one the regal or the trailer....

Turbo Regals are just too damn fast to tow anything!

To learn how to tow, rent the movie "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Ricky Recardo in it. Very educational.:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yeah I gotta agree...I tow one of my trailers about every other day and while your car may move/pull the trailer your jeapordizing your safety pulling that trailer (Like having a 4x4 in the snow...u can take off fast but can't stop fast!) w/ your car and by the way...I've had those electric brakes fail on more than one occasion due to an electrical issue...of course w/ a 3/4 to 1-ton truck I can still get it stopped but in your case it would just lock-up your brakes as the trailer just pushed you forward skidding. A 700 lb tongue weight will push down the rear some on my 1 ton dually, I couldn't imagine what it would look like or do to your suspension on the Buick let alone completely throw off the weight balance of your car making your steering light and front brakes lock-up easier as well. You can pickup a used truck cheap, like a 1/2 ton 2wd...it will be alot safer than what your going to attempt, just sharing my .02 cents as I have alot of towing miles under my belt. Good Luck