Towing an Airstream

wow, some you guys are brutal....this guy posts up a questions and is asking for feedback, and you guys chastise him...Whats up with that?? Whats wrong with giving him some information in a non insulting manner??? Some of you guys need to chill out...

My two cents...
Nate

wow, some you guys are brutal....this guy posts up a questions and is asking for feedback, and you guys chastise him...Whats up with that?? Whats wrong with giving him some information in a non insulting manner??? Some of you guys need to chill out...

My two cents...
Nate

Because this is a community and we are all hear to look out for each other and the the best interests for our cars. So trying to stop someone from melting their car is all they're trying to do. It may not have been in some of the nicest or ways but in the long run he'll end up thanking everyone.

My two cents...
Nate

The problem is, he would be putting his own life at risk, not to mention, everyone else on the road with him.

I've seen some dumb ideas... and this one is without a doubt one of the dumbest.

700lbs of weight on the back of a G-body would probably lift the front wheels off the ground.

if the hitch that you found for a gbody maxes out at 400-500 lbs then that's probably all, actually more than the car can handle.

however, i'd like to see you try to pull the airstream. please have a chaser vehicle with a camera.;)

but seriously, just rent a truck. do you really want to destroy your TR to save a few bucks on truck rental?

The problem is, he would be putting his own life at risk, not to mention, everyone else on the road with him.

I've seen some dumb ideas... and this one is without a doubt one of the dumbest.

700lbs of weight on the back of a G-body would probably lift the front wheels off the ground.

I am not debating the idea is a good one, bad one or completely insane, but consider this....if this person takes some of these replies too personally, next time this guy or someone else for that matter has an idea and is requesting some input what they think is an OK idea, he/she probably won't ask it because last time he was lambasted, and now you don't have the opportunity to offer your advice and potentially protect him, his car, and other drivers on the road from a potentially hazardous situation......granted some questions/ideas are dumb (and this one may or may not be), but if our goal is to help, i think there are better ways to do it than insulting the guy..... and maybe my take on the replies is all wrong, but I thought they were a little aggressive for a question seeking advice...

Not arguing with anyone here as I know all of us here have the best intention, but just trying to offer a different perspective...

Nate

Years ago I pulled a skid-steer on a trailer (HEAVY) with my Ford Explorer fpr ;ess than 5 miles. That trailer pushed me everywhere but where I wanted to go! I learned my lesson that day! This idea is VERY DANGEROUS! Take everyone's advice...go rent/borrow a truck and save your life and other's life.
Conrad
Hot Air
E85 Moderator

ps...the motor be damned...I wouldn't do what you are proposing if I have a 455 Buick motor in my GN! BTW, my GN has B-car 12" disk brakes in front and Baer disk brakes in the rear.

Are you guys implying that this could be the outcome?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMrYUloMcA [/YOUTUBE]

I don't know if that video is hilarious or just sad but i won't lie i laughed. :biggrin:

This thread made it's way into the funniest headline thread.

Towing with a GN?

It seems you have two questions. Do they make a bolt on class 3 hitch? No, it will probably have to be custom fitted. The other questions seems to be: what damage is gonna happen? Since you already know it will physically pull the trailer down the highway, and you are right, but you maybe should consider what kind of problems you are going to have. If you are just going to move the trailer a couple miles and you live in Kansas, it might be awhile until anything gives, if ever. But if you live in Colorado, a couple of miles could be all mountains. It won't be long until your changing your shorts, or trans, or brakes, or headers.... Too many accidents happen because people push their tow vehicle beyond it's limits. And the problem is, the disaster doesn't happen right away, it takes miles of abuse until it happens and than it seems to come as a "surprise, I can't believe that happened!!"

It's really simple, if your tow vehicle cannot stop the vehicle in ample time without the trailer brakes it's not acceptable. Obviously with the trailer brakes it will stop faster however uncontrollable things happen when towing (trust me!) and control is king. I realize this wasn't your question and i've posted earlier and I do not feel I was being nasty in my earlier reply or this one however safety is very important when towing, actually it's the most important characteristic of towing by far regardless of anything else.

I have to say that although these responses may not be the nicest way to put things they are warrented!! Why should we all sit back tell him what he wants to hear knowing he is tearing up his ride and putting himself and others in danger.... When all is said and done if all the harsh words keep this guy from making what most know is a terrible choice then we have done our job!!!! I've said some harsh things to my son on accoasion (life lessons if you will) and sometimes that's the only way to get through!!!

He'll get used to it, after years on here I know members are as gentle as a charging bull :D

Something that no one has mentioned here

Please look at the door tag if still there or find a car that still has it.

Please check the GVW for the vehicle. You will find it is much lower than 8600 pounds.

In closing this means that the factory is telling you not to do it because it becomes a safety issue.

Please take this into consideration before trying this stunt.

Back in 86 I towed my 20 foot checkmate boat that weight 4000 lbs with trailer. It towed good but would stop very well.