Turbo ID

apttype

Can someone help ID turbo please. Stock??? A/R 60, M10 stamped on compressor.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Misc.a 280.jpg
    Misc.a 280.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 342
  • Misc.a 284.jpg
    Misc.a 284.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Misc.a 281.jpg
    Misc.a 281.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 298
you cant really tell from that angle w/o looking at the compressor wheel - but if i had to guess, judging from how the exhaust hsg and elbow have the exact same amount of rust i would say STOCK w/ aftermarket inlet bell... JMO HTH

Looks pretty stock to me if i had to guess. its always hard to tell.

Look inside at the inlet bell. Has the compressor cover been ported to match the ID of the inlet bell? If you pull the turbo to intercooler hose off/back, are there any numbers engraved on the compressor cover discharge? Numbers like 4931A perhaps? Here are a couple of pictures of my TA-49 that I took off of my car.
Does your compressor wheel look identical or smaller?

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

And one from GNTTYPEs site.

ta49comp.GIF

As you can see, without really looking at the compressor wheel and turbine wheel or without any engraved numbers (the M10 A/R 60 and Garrett verbage were on every TA series turbo) it's very hard to properly ID the turbo.
If the compressor cover has been ported to match, but the compressor wheel looks smaller and different, then chances are it's a stock turbo with a port matched inlet bell.

And here are a couple of pictures of a stock 86/87 TBO-348 turbo.
stkcold.gif

Stocker with stock inlet bell next to a TE-44.
44stockcompbell.GIF

Stocker w/o inlet bell next to a TE-44.
44stockcomp.GIF

Hope some of this helps a little.

Patrick

Do any of these pic's help. I tried to peel back the turbo to intercooler hose as far as I could (without removing intercooler) to look for #'s, I didn't see any.

Thanks for everyones help.

Attachments

• Misc.2 167.jpg
    Misc.2 167.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 267
  • Misc.2 169.jpg
    Misc.2 169.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Misc.2 171.jpg
    Misc.2 171.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 257
It looks really close to a TA-49, blade count and shape are the same.
If you don't have any engraved numbers on the compressor cover discharge, the last thing you could do would be to take the compressor cover off and measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor wheel.
Mark the orientation/position of the compressor cover to the backing plate with a black marker. This will help you reinstall it back to the same orientation. Take the bolts and backing plate clamps off, along with the vacuum hose and actuator, carefully tap around the perimeter of the cover and pull it off the turbo straight. We don't want to hit the wheel with the cover, and don't twist it off, because there is an o-ring that seals the cover to the backing plate.
Here are the specs from PTE website.

Compressor wheel
Inducer 2.290"
Exducer 2.950"
Wheel trim 60

Turbine wheel
Inducer 2.559"
Exducer 2.228"
Wheel trim 76

Here's a picture that shows you where to measure the wheels to get your inducer and exducer measurements.

tech102.gif

Your pics show a Garrett turbine housing, which was available on the TA-49 from other vendors.
When you put the cover back on, use your marks to line up the cover, install the backing plate clamps and bolts and hand tighten in a criss cross fashion hand tight. Make sure the O-ring is intact and not torn before putting the cover back on.

HTH

Patrick