Turbo LS w/stock PCM - Anybody running one of these?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Just wondering if anyone had a turbo LS conversion going that retained the stock PCM.....

What did you use to tune it?

What PCM?

Do you use a wideband?

Did you convert to speed density?

Overall, how did it turn out? drivability? tunability?

Are you using the PCM to control a 4L60E or 4L80E etc?

There's a

Just wondering if anyone had a turbo LS conversion going that retained the stock PCM.....

What did you use to tune it?

What PCM?

Do you use a wideband?

Did you convert to speed density?

Overall, how did it turn out? drivability? tunability?

forum on Chevy | Camaro | Firebird Reviews, Performance Parts, Modifications - LS1Tech.com, devoted to FI conversions, tuning, etc.
As for the stock PCM.. Works great.
Can be tuned in SD w/ a "cos". [custom operating system.]
Tuning the trans is a big + when using the factory PCM..4L60, 4L80, 6L80...
We use EFILIVE....Goto: EFILive Web Site, and download the program for free. The EFILIVE forum has some REAL savvy tuners, including the guys that wrote and produced the system.. Nice guys!

As for the performance... Many engines are producing 600-800 FWHp w/ good reliability,, And, you don't have to run at 27psi to do it!:biggrin:

We could tune it with SCT stuff. I dont know how consumer friendly any of this stuff is. The SCT is big coin.

What did you use to tune it? HP Tuners MPVI Pro

What PCM? Stock 2002 3/4 ton pickup

Do you use a wideband? Of course

Did you convert to speed density? Yes, used the 2-bar OS

Overall, how did it turn out? drivability? tunability? Drove like a stock car, even with the big cam, turbo and stall. Still on the car up and over 700whp no problems

4l80 with a 3200 stall. Using the stock PCM and trans is the key to a nice street car, everything is tunable and works great

We use Hp tuners And my buddy has tuned his truck to well over 700 at the wheels with plenty more left in it. His name is QUIK on here and could help you out with any tuneing you need.

We use Hp tuners And my buddy has tuned his truck to well over 700 at the wheels with plenty more left in it. His name is QUIK on here and could help you out with any tuneing you need.

Thanks.... but I'm mearly daydreaming at the moment.... I have a fresh 109 motor that is giving me fits with a hot idle oil pressure issue..... got me spending my spare time on the puter reading and learning all I can about going to the next level for a street car.

In my honest opinion.... I think you can make an honest 10 sec (say 10.50's @ 128) pump gas/alky street car with a 109 based full weight car....... and you can take a second off that (I'd say 9.50's @ 140) by converting over to a relatively low budget (at least in the longblock)... on a LQ4 based LS turbo setup.... again on pump gas and alky. It sounds sooooo tempting.....

If I was to go pull the trigger today....I would drop a bone stock LQ4 in there.... maybe a single used 70 GTQ turbo (4"inlet/3" outlet) w/ precision 85 turbine housing (low budget)... or a billet 71 turbo with the big turbine housing......(honestly...I hate to go away from the old 3 bolt Buick turbo's... due to the availability of so many used ones on the board). I would also go with the '99 - '04? PCM..... with a 3 bar SD converted COS5.....probably a 4L80E with a transbrake.....gotta have A/C..... etc..... crap.... I gotta quit thinking about this stuff........:eek:

i am right in the middle of doing this swap now and after much research i found scads of info at ls1tech.com those dudes are into turbo v8s. my combo is lq4 4l80e t76 fmic 80lbinj. and stock pcm. looks like hptuners is the most intuitive tuning for stock os. truck components are a little more convienent for g bodys. also truck pcm has ability to use 4l80e with a segment swap unlike some f and y computers. heres some pics of how it fits.

Attachments

• regal 003.jpg
    regal 003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 569
  • regal 004.jpg
    regal 004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 569
robby what exh manifolds are those? and keep the pics going would like to see it once its done:biggrin:

Robby do you have room to run the plug wires with the manifolds turned up like that

sorry for the late reply i didnt get a notice in my email. yeh it looks like the plug wires will be fine. i got a bead on a set of edelbrock shorty headers and i am gonna see if they make a better fit.

Why not..

sorry for the late reply i didnt get a notice in my email. yeh it looks like the plug wires will be fine. i got a bead on a set of edelbrock shorty headers and i am gonna see if they make a better fit.

a set of stainless Moosetangs turned around?? E-bag... cheap.

ive definately considered but there is still some expense. flanges headers and time. thats the road i may go down if i can't get the trucks to work

nothing wrong with mild steel headers and crossover thats what I'm going to do.I'm looking at 94-95 mustang instead of 87-93 they look like they might work better
patriot makes mild steel header flanges cheap

i am right in the middle of doing this swap now and after much research i found scads of info at ls1tech.com those dudes are into turbo v8s. my combo is lq4 4l80e t76 fmic 80lbinj. and stock pcm. looks like hptuners is the most intuitive tuning for stock os. truck components are a little more convienent for g bodys. also truck pcm has ability to use 4l80e with a segment swap unlike some f and y computers. heres some pics of how it fits.

You can use a Fbody pcm to control the 4l80. the Pcms are the same, just need the segment swap