Update: I really do have 0 degrees timing, and run 12.3 @ 113

Berman

Well I snagged the GM scan tool from my friend's shop and hooked it up to see what my timing really is. Damn the GM tool is nice, I think I might buy one ($495), expensive but 1000x better looking than a scanmaster or something similar. Anyway, at WOT, the timing advance is 0.

With this same setup, the car has run 12.3 @ 113 on radials pump gas and 22 lbs, gets 25 mpg on the highway, and never ever gets past 175 degrees even in the hottest weather with the ac on full stuck in crazy traffic jams.

So my car does what a bunch of guys on here say is impossible. ???

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
so give it some timing and run 11's

Yup! That's my plan. Timing + Alchy. A converter would help as well. (PT52 and a stock converter that I don't even think is the correct converter I think it's a junk monte-carlo converter, waay tight) Also it's running extremely rich (like .880 mV). If I turn the regulator one turn the car feels like it gains a half a second. I need to hook up my EGT before I mess with that again though.

Oh and get this. My bad ass mechanic friend (he's so good it's sick. Talking to me and messing around he had the heads off in about 3 hours) took it apart last night to change the head gaskets, timing chain, and springs for me (screw the buick junk, I got some real nice fel-pro gaskets) and the headgaskets were blown in TWO places. Fairly minorly, but hey a blown headgasket is a blown headgasket. And the car went 12.3 @ 113.

So I'm real anxious to get it back together and run it at the track the way it sits, before I mess with it.

I remain unconvinced.

What does the scan tool show for advance at idle?

I'd bet that a timing light would reveal differently.

Any chip maker can make your scantool read anything he wants......

TurboBob

just a simple question! If your timing is 0 and your knock is zero why are you replacing a head gasket. Just a thought ;)

Yeah none of this adds up. I'm not the expert here, but I have a hard time believing this one.:confused:

Originally posted by Gn-Krazzie
just a simple question! If your timing is 0 and your knock is zero why are you replacing a head gasket. Just a thought ;)

I was doing it as a preventative measure - I didn't know it was blown. I just built a nice computer for my friend and he agreed to do timing chain, valve springs, and the gaskets for me in exhange. My guess is my friend would boost it to 25 and that likely blew it at some point. A stock headgasket from '86 isn't the strongest thing in the world.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Where are you located and who is this mechanic.

I am in South Florida. The mechanic is Donald Olmstead, he works for Route 66 Performance.

Originally posted by striker_29
Yeah none of this adds up. I'm not the expert here, but I have a hard time believing this one.:confused:

ME TOO. It seems like some guys are attacking me. I don't believe it either! I origionally posted about this because I didn't think it made sense, and wanted to know if maybe anyone else had a car set up the same.

Berman,
You need to hook up with the South Florida Turbo Buick Club. We meet at the Tower Shoppes on the last Friday of every month.

www.sftbc.org

So are you saying that Rick Harper did your chip, or did he have it burnt for you by someone else. Or is this some other Harper?

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Berman,
You need to hook up with the South Florida Turbo Buick Club. We meet at the Tower Shoppes on the last Friday of every month.

www.sftbc.org

So are you saying that Rick Harper did your chip, or did he have it burnt for you by someone else. Or is this some other Harper?

I don't know :( I bought the car like it is from my friend. Rick Harper is from Harper Racing, I assume? I thought it was from them..

ok, I know where tower shoppes is. I'll stop by this month. Look for a white t-type with drag stars, and a thin dude with a ponytail (me).

I am sorry, but I still don't believe it. :) the thing would have flames shooting out the tail pipes... :D

Originally posted by Steve Wood
I am sorry, but I still don't believe it. :) the thing would have flames shooting out the tail pipes... :D

Like I said, I really don't believe it either, but the scan tool did say 0. Tonight I will use a timing light and settle this.

I am by no means an expert, i have learned alot from having to work on my own car and maintaining it. I am open to any new way of thinking or theory. I want my car to last and still go fast therefore i would never consider going to 25 lbs boost unless i had the octane to support it and was sure the knock was zero. My pockets arn't that deep( checking for holes). I wish they were ;)

have fun no attack intended !!

I'm out at the tower shoppes on most fridays. We have around 40 guys in the club. I've never heard of this Donald Olmstead, is he familiar with the specifics of turbo buicks? If he treats you well, and knows what he is doing, then you can't ask for more.

I'm definately not attacking you. That is what our south florida group is about, helping each other out.

chip test

Get someone to burn another chip matching your injectors and have them put 0 ° timing in it and see if it runs the same . Maybe someone in the South Florida Turbo Club can burn one with 0 ° . :) If it works , great , if it doesn't...well :rolleyes:

alan