Volt booster or not?

The alternator is not nearly as cost effective, but accomplishes the same thing and is supplying a consistent voltage.
It doesn't accomplish the same thing. I puts out no more voltage than my stock generator. The difference is that my voltage goes up when it is needed. The pump,injectors,and ignition get something that makes them all work better only when needed. The only way you can accomplish this is to run 16 volts all the time. You don't dare do that. The volt booster is one of those few things that does everything you want it to do when you want it to do it and it costs pennies in comparison. Nothing compares to it. Nothing replaces it. It's something that all of our cars will benefit from.

...It's something that all of our cars will benefit from.

Simply not true, it's only NEEDED, when your current system can't keep up to current needs. Good grounds make a bigger difference in injector, ignition, and fuel pump reliability/performance than just voltage. 16volts will make up for mediocre grounds to a certain extent but will not provide more performance than enough volts with great grounds. You only need enough volts to do the job. Are you logging voltage from your stock alternator? It wouldn't matter if you were using a vb, but with a good alt, if the volts stay above 14, you get the same results, only it's there all the time. Doesn't your ignition need good power even when you are not getting on it?

Hmmm....two parties expressing opposing points of view...= debate!
My vote is for the volt booster.

im running an upgraded alt,i ended up putting the volt booster back on.everything worked alot better and had to adjust the tune.

Don't wish to throw any fuel to the fire but a healthy electrical system with good grounds is a must. If the alternator is healthy and the injectors, fuel pump and coil pack are hot wired than that should be sufficient for most.

Where the volt booster really helps, IMO, is when your really pushing the limits to the fuel pump. Having the extra voltage to the pump can really make a difference. Of course having that extra voltage tot the injectors and coilpack are just an added benifit.

I have a volt boost on my car but have not activated it yet since I have it set to 30# boost to turn it on. The next time out I plan on pushing it so we will see.......

Allan G.

I almost fogot to mention,

I couldn't believe how bad the voltage supply in may car was. Even with good grounds and alternator, I was only seeing about 12 volts as reported by my XFI. This is when I decided to make dedicated connections to from the ECM to the battery and the hot wired components to the alternator. Doing that alone made a 2 volt increase(from 12 to 14).

Allan G.

turbobitt said:
Where the volt booster really helps, IMO, is when your really pushing the limits to the fuel pump. Allan G.

Agreed. My single deaschwerk was falling off on the big end, threw the volt booster on and all is well.

we4Mateo said:
Simply not true, it's only NEEDED, when your current system can't keep up to current needs. Good grounds make a bigger difference in injector, ignition, and fuel pump reliability/performance than just voltage. 16volts will make up for mediocre grounds to a certain extent but will not provide more performance than enough volts with great grounds. You only need enough volts to do the job. Are you logging voltage from your stock alternator? It wouldn't matter if you were using a vb, but with a good alt, if the volts stay above 14, you get the same results, only it's there all the time. Doesn't your ignition need good power even when you are not getting on it?
The demand on the system is much greater than the factory setup which does fine with the factory wiring. Were asking it to do much more. I have extra grounding/dedicated hot wires and run a volt booster. The main effect I'm looking for is high pressure fuel pump output. Most of these pumps drop volume excessively with 14v at pressures over 70. Increasing voltage has
a huge effect on the high pressure output with no bad side effects that I've experienced. It probably eats up a couple hp but the pumps ability to maintain pressure and volume at high pressures like the top of 3rd where boost and fuel demand is highest is enough of a reason to run it. 14v is probably enough for most but I won't be finding out if its ok on mine.

The vb def does what it was intended to do and electrical is as important as any other system for performance. I just don't need one yet with my current setup. Maybe when I start going faster than 120 I'll need one. To kidglok, with a dw pump falling off at the big end...how fast are you going and what alt do you use?

Thanks.

To kidglok, with a dw pump falling off at the big end...how fast are you going and what alt do you use?

Thanks.

i noticed it on the street when i first got the xfi installed. i was consuming the same amount of fuel that was needed for a 10.7@127, so figure around 580-600hp. its a year old (new)kirban 120 amp. this was at 62psi reported fuel pressure before it fell off.

i noticed it on the street when i first got the xfi installed. i was consuming the same amount of fuel that was needed for a 10.7@127, so figure around 580-600hp. its a year old (new)kirban 120 amp. this was at 62psi reported fuel pressure before it fell off.

Thanks. Good info.

with a dw pump falling off at the big end...how fast are you going and what alt do you use?
The different generators for our cars are putting out about the same voltage. In most cases the difference between the available generators is the amperage output. This makes no difference to the output of a fuel pump. The only way to make it put out more volume is to give it more volts.