You can type here any text you want

W T B or I needa (used TB)...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GARY HARVEY

A TB that will fit the MONSTER 110 degree Elbow Percision has or an adapter
for a 70MM Buick style TB, to fit the same elbow.

Or am I wasting time, looking for something that doesn't exist (the adapter).

I know this isn't located in the correct thread, but... you know the rest of the story.:p

IIRC, those plenums that Precision sells are to be used with a Ford style throttle body.

That same type of elbow can be purchased from PTE, Wilson Manifolds, and Kinsler. I beleive they are all set up for a Ford pattern.

Your TB selection is limited. Accufab will sell you a 90mm TB that IMO doesn't have enough return spring .....and the linkage is all wrong for a Stage 2 application (and they don't care).

I had Kinsler rework my Accutrash TB with a new throttle shaft and linkage that actually works correctly.

If I had to do it over, I would start with an elbow and TB from Wilson Manifolds.

Dave

I had Kinsler rework my Accutrash TB with a new throttle shaft and linkage that actually works correctly.

Dave,

How much did they get to do that? I have the same deal with my "Accutrash":D

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

It wasn't cheap.... but as Paul Harvey says.... Now for the rest of the story:

I initially made a billet throttle arm that bolted to the existing arm so I could pull the throttle in the right direction. I wasn't thrilled about the lack of spring tension, but it looked great and worked OK.

I had a problem with my cam sensor which caused a big backfire cranking. The backfire bent the throttle shaft quite badly. Now, I could have bought another new Accutrash TB for about what it cost me to fix the bent shaft. I wasn't happy with the way the people at AccuFab treated me and I wasn't going to give them any more money for a new TB.

Since I was already unhappy with the Accutrash TB I figured I would be better off having a new shaft made with linkage designed for my application. The work Kinsler did was outstanding. They were not fast, but they did really nice work.

The only thing I regret at this point was NOT machining the "AccuFab" name off the butterfly.

(Can you tell I'm unhappy with the Accufab people yet??)

I still have the billet arm and hardware to bolt to the Accu throttle arm. If it will work for you, I'll give it to you.

Dave

Being into Mustangs as well I can tell you that the only thing the Accufabs have going for them is they are pretty to look at. The quality of ALL the aftermarket Ford throttle bodies are horrible.
What you might want to look into is finding an older Ford Motorsport 86mm throttle body as it is OEM quality which is excellent. It is cast rather than billet and doesnt have the pretty polished finish, but I can assure you the function far outweighs the form.
The problem Dave ran into with the light spring tension is understandable since the Fords have a spring built into the end of the throttle cable that the GM cars dont have. What you could try to do is find a Ford throttle body in the junk yard and grab the spring off of it. If you were to take apart a stock Buick throttle body you would see that GM used 2 identical springs to add additional tension to it. On the Fords, the Crown Vics and non HO 5.0's have a smaller throttle body which is easy to find. You could grab one off of one of those.

Dave,

I'll take the billet arm and hardware and see if I can get it to work for me. What kind of throttle cable did you use with it?

GNVAIR,

Thanks for the info. My return spring is not that bad. But this is the only one I have played with also.

Thanks,
Scott

Avoiding pot hole(s)

I understand the problem with Ford style after market TBs. That is the reason I'm interested in using a Buick style TB in the first place. I also
understand a 70mm TB of whatever manf., may not be large enough for
a lot of followers of this threads purpose. In spite of this, I'm interested in
putting something together that is functional without having to pull teeth to get what's needed. If locating an adapter to get the very nice TB JC sent,
is not available and from the conversations I've had with him, it does not seem that one is... I'll make one.

I have NO interest in dealing with the problems I have witnessed on this
board, when having to deal with TBs and the trouble some have gone through putting something together that is a headache from the get go.

Is there a place for an elbow for a Buick style TB and a larger than 70mm Buick TB, to help end the bumpy road many of you have been down?

And so it goes. :)

Gary,

To answer your question, No, there is no bolt on part made for a Buick application. I wish there were. When you enter the World of Stage 2, you better be prepared to fabricate all kinds of parts (ask Kendall, he is the undisputed guru of fabricating parts). I like your idea to adapt a big Buick TB to the precision elbow.

I think MAC in SD did something like this too.

I started out with the idea to use a 76mm TB off a late model 5.3 GM truck engine. (I have a couple just laying around). I made a nice billet adapter to fit it to the precision elbow. I found out that the ouside diameter of the TB is 3.89". You can't find an adapter hose in that diameter. I could have had the OD welded up and then turn it down to 4", but the welding could possibly warp the TB housing and that seemed like alot of extra hassle.

Custom hoses are very expensive and I don't want to be stranded at the track with a busted hose and no way to replace it. At least the Accutrash TB uses an common 3" to 4" adapter hose.

Dave

I used a Hemco plenum with a KB (Accufab) 70mm TB. Had an adapter plate made between the plenum and the 4V flange. I know a bigger TB would probably be better ultimately, but I'm not going for 8's or anything. And everything lines up great with stock cables, brackets, etc.

The problem that you run into is when you do need a throttle body larger than 70mm is that the Buick design doesnt allow it since there is not much more room between the mounting holes to allow for a larger opening.
The Ford design is actually a very good design. There are guys in the 6's with Ford design throttle bodies, so it cant be all that bad of a design. Kenny Duttweiller uses the Ford style throttle bodies on almost all of his turbo V8's regardless of whether it is a Ford or Chevy.
To me having to modify a throttle lever or adding spring tension is no big deal. As for bending a throttle shaft because of a back fire;
the Buick shaft is about the same diameter and probably would bend just as easily if enough force were applied to it.

Back