You can type here any text you want

what chip is this

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sixster

Hi ,
I just purchased an 87 t-type last week
& we have 2 problems he knows nothing about the car
( he owned it since 2003 )
& i do not know alot about these car
but i have some of the winter to learn

anyhow the car need a tune up
but i want to make sure the chip is decent

car has blue top injectors & the chip says 36lb on it
also there is a swith connected to the chip
but the owner never touch it
he just put a new ecm in the car 2 weeks ago

heres a pic

thanks rocco

ki.jpg

First...

how does the car run? are you having a missing problem, cuts out,?:confused:
Is there another tr owner close by that can look the car over for you? since neither you or the previous owner are up on the tr's it would be the quickest and safest way, to contact via this forum, one of the locals and they will get you started in the correct direction. in the mean timeread as much as you can to learn how to take care of your big investment. If you are mechanically inclined, go to gnttype.org and search for the spring cleaning post. This will greatly assist you in getting you off on the right foot, as far as the chip is concerned, it is dated and I would check w/ Eric at turbo-tweak, he will fix you up. Full-throttle speed offers a thumb-wheel chip by Bob Bailey as well another good but more expensive choice. but you will have to educate yourself before purchasing either one. If all goes well w/the tune-up, you may not need a new chip unless you want to upgrade w/bigger injectors or turbo:biggrin:

Welcome to tb.com

The chip is old school. Leave it on the lowest setting. Without knowing exactly what it is, you could hurt your motor. As sugguested, a turbo tweak or fullthrottle chip is the way to go.

Are you north or south side?

There are a bunch of great Buick guys all around Chicagoland always willing to lend a hand.

Chip is old school, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it...I have 2 thumbwheel chips and I love them.

PS the lowest setting isn't always the safest, on my chip the lowest setting is the leanest.

I can't really see the label, so I'm not sure who's chip it is.

Chip is old school, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it...I have 2 thumbwheel chips and I love them.

PS the lowest setting isn't always the safest, on my chip the lowest setting is the leanest.

I can't really see the label, so I'm not sure who's chip it is.

We don't know what kinda chip it exactly is. Most thumb wheels Ive seen change timing too. Just trying to give safe advice.

We don't know what kinda chip it exactly is. Most thumb wheels Ive seen change timing too. Just trying to give safe advice.

I understand the logic, I'm just saying your advise could be dangerous.

If the car runs good don't change the setting...Call Caspers and see if they can help you figure which settings are which, then you have a baseline.

Or spend money on new stuff, those are the options.

Looks to be an Ultrachip set for 36# injectors? Little tough to read what is left of the tag. Typical settings for version 3.02 chip are as follows not sure what version you happen to have.
I personally wouldnt run anything higher than setting 3.

Code:
Setting   Maximum       Rev Limit  Speed Limit  W.O.T Spark  Features of Each
           Turbo Boost        RPM        MPH         Timing DEG       Setting

0             N/A               0             0                N/A             Anti-Start
1             12.0            4800         65                22                 Valet
2             14.7            5250        125               22                 Stock
3             15.6            6000        135               18             92 Octane
4             16.2            6000        135               20              Street 93
5             17.8            6000        135               22               Race 98  
6             19.0            6000        135               24               Race 110
7             20.0            6200        160               26               Race 113

thanks - i am located in elmhurst , il
i do have blue top injectors - which i believe are 36#

getting on it a little , it seems to hesitate a little between shifts

but the car was sitting for a bit & may need new plugs
& maybe wires to be changed

i am going to research a bit but how do you now
what setting you have on the chip ? or how do you change it

thanks , rocco

well i drove it & it seems to boost kinda quick but i am not used to these cars
& i do not want to beat on it hard but
it hit 15 on the dash gauge & 13 to 14 on the aftermarket gauge
about 3/4 throttle