You can type here any text you want

What stall for my combo?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jarredsoon

Ok I have read the stckys but still need help choosing a stall.

Here is my combo

Weber stroker with standard bore
218 212 roller cam
Champion ported heads and intake
Jim dunn stock location intercooler
Precision 74 HPQH with .85 a/r
200-4r trans with trans brake

I want to drive on highway and get the best ET possible at the strip

What do you guys think??

I have read that with the74mm turbo you need 4000 stall to get it goin but the guy I bought the turbo fromsaid he got 60' times of 1.5X with a 3000 stall??

Yes I called Dusty Bradford but I want to know what you guys think.

Thanks

I would say get something custom made by Dusty for your combo, you are going to need some serious stall speed for that big a turbo.

74HPQ with .85 turbine is a lot of turbine for your motor.
You will need a lot of exhaust velocity to get that up.
I would want a 38-4000 minimum.
What is your compression?

It's definately going to take a looser non lock to get the job done and it still won't be lightning quick to spool.

A smaller turbo would make your combo much quicker from a kick. Not sure what your et goals are though.

I have a PT61 but bought the 74 to go along with my new stroker motor. Do you think the 61 would be better cause I could just keep it and sell the 74, I would like to use what ever is faster.

On my current set up (standard stroke unported intake/heads, 61mm turbo, 2800 stall) I have a best Et of 11.2 leaving with about 15# off the trans brake.

Which turbo would be better for a stroker motor to reach my goals?

My goal is to get to mid tens.

To me this is a tough deal because the 61 is too small for your goals and the 74 is too big.

Can you sell them both and get a 6765?
With that turbo you would not need that much converter too.

...........................I have read that with the74mm turbo you need 4000 stall to get it goin but the guy I bought the turbo from said he got 60' times of 1.5X with a 3000 stall??...Thanks

The guy that sold you the turbo probably also shovels BS for a living, or does not know truth from fiction? :mad:

Even a TE-60 turbo needs more than a 3000 stall converter? :confused:

With a 74 turbo you cannot satisfy both street and strip performance. If you want to be competitive, you need a 4500 stall at least, and that should give you a 9 sec. ride.

I use a 5000 stall with my 70mm turbo and can kick-ass with the big-blocks even with a pro light. With even reaction times, I can pull them off the line every time! :biggrin: That is NO BS as I have the time slips to back it up

Like Dusty said, if it is mainly a street car, get a smaller turbo.

It amazes me that guys want good track performance, but are scared of high stall converters. Mine started out as a 5500 stall, and noticed little difference when I had it tightened to 5000. :)

We have 9 sec. street GN's running Dusty's converters, and they love them. :cool:

Well I am not afraid to get a high stall, I just need the car to be streetable enough to drive to the track. About an hour away from my place. So should I get a Converter from Dusty that suits my 74mm or should I get a new turbo AND converter??

I would kinda like to keep the 74 but want what's best for 1/4 mile ET.

What do you guys think??

Well I am not afraid to get a high stall, I just need the car to be streetable enough to drive to the track. About an hour away from my place. So should I get a Converter from Dusty that suits my 74mm or should I get a new turbo AND converter??

What do you guys think??

I vote for a new turbo and converter from Dusty.
That turbo can make 1000hp.
So if your car weighs around 3700lbs you have a 8.9 -9.0 turbo.
If you want mid tens why would you suffer all the downsides
and not get the benifits?

Down Sides:
-External Wastegate and Down Pipe Set up
-Minimum 80lbs injectors
-HO external pump
-High Stall, makes the tranny hotter on the freeway

IMO you are better off with a PTC 9.5 and a 6755 (you still could need the external gate)
At minumum you will need to port out the wastegate hole.
It will give you enough room to go mid 9s or better on kill.

What sucks is your existing turbo is just a little too small.
I know some one that is trying to go low tens on a 6265

What do you guys think??

For mid 10's get a 67mm version. You will be much happier with the way it spools and responds. The 74mm is a 8.90 capable turbo and way overkill for your needs. Nothing kills a combination faster than too much turbo.

Back