What thermostat should I run?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Presently I believe my car has a 160 degree t stat as the temp doesn't seem to get much above 162 degrees.

Would there be any kind of gain by going to a 180 degree t stat? I'm guessing at best my heater would run a little hotter? Would the engine run any more efficiently with a 180 degree t stat?

What t stat was stock? A 195 degree?

Presently I believe my car has a 160 degree t stat as the temp doesn't seem to get much above 162 degrees.
Would there be any kind of gain by going to a 180 degree t stat? I'm guessing at best my heater would run a little hotter? Would the engine run any more efficiently with a 180 degree t stat?

What t stat was stock? A 195 degree?

In cold weather I would run a 180* stat. Warm weather a 160*
Depends on what part of the country the car was delivered to. Some came with 180* some with 195*

Well as an NC resident it doesn't get ball shattering cold, but here lately we have had our share of 30 degree weather.

In 2 months I'll be moving out to Missouri, where it's even colder.

Seems my heater only takes the edge off of the cold.

Why can't someone develop an electronic thermostat where you simply use a screw driver to adjust the temperature?

Look at the moto-rad I beleive it is called, they do make a 160 for our cars and those are the ones that are supposed to if they ever fail in the open position which I beleive is a good idea, part # 203-160.

Ron

The whole "160-degree thermostat idea" came way back
20+ years ago to "trick" the ECM into delivering more fuel.

Today, with Turbo-Tweak chips (& more people running
injectors w/safe duty cycles), it's totally not purposeful.

Not only not desirable, it's actually not the healthiest
idea for the engine. Ideal oil temps are in the 180-200
zone, with 180 just being into the minimum threshold
required for maximum engine efficiency.

Hard to finally shake-off all the "ideas" of the 1980s.

(If anyone can't get ice-cold A/C w/a 180 even
in the Mojave, they might need to get a better
radiator & better fans or have the A/C checked.)

Why can't someone develop an electronic thermostat where you simply use a screw driver to adjust the temperature?

Thermostatically-controlled radiator fans accomplish the same thing.

Set the temp you want, from under the dash or engine compartment,
and forget it. Keeps the motor within a 5-degree range.

Check Jeg's. They have several controllers. The "PAINLESS" block mount
(non-rad-probe) was our choice. Not very expensive & use your fans.

HTH

Jack

I agree with you on the 160 degree thermostat. I have always ran a 160 degreee thermostat till i recently had to go back intot he engine and when i did that i replaced the thermostat cause it was several yrs old. I replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree chevy SBC thermostat that has been cut down with a hole drilled in the top of it for air bypass. Since i have done this i have noticed that my engine oil seems to stay cleaner looking @ my oil changes.

I would run a 180 theremostat guys i have not had any heating or cooling problems with my car.

The 160 thermostat lets you run a little more boost for the same octane. Every 20 degree drop in intake air temperature is roughly equivalent to one octane number (say 92 to 93 octane). For best gas mileage and oil life a 180 would be better, or maybe even the 195. I'm in Maryland and have driven plenty of miles in sub-30 degree temps with a 160 thermostat and have more than enough heat. If you do go to a 180 make sure you have your chip modified or it will keep the fan running all the time trying to get the engine back down to 160ish.

The 160 thermostat lets you run a little more boost for the same octane. Every 20 degree drop in intake air temperature is roughly equivalent to one octane number (say 92 to 93 octane). For best gas mileage and oil life a 180 would be better, or maybe even the 195. I'm in Maryland and have driven plenty of miles in sub-30 degree temps with a 160 thermostat and have more than enough heat. If you do go to a 180 make sure you have your chip modified or it will keep the fan running all the time trying to get the engine back down to 160ish.

Carl, IMHO I really don't agree at all with your first sentance as having any kind of effect at all. Afterall, the coolant temp running through the engine isn't going to have that much of an effect on the air being crambed into the engine. Unless you go from one extreme to another. Things are just happening far too fast to have much of an effect on air temp.

There've been many articles written over the years by people a whole lot smarter than I, that the ideal coolant temp for port injected cars (like ours), is 180-185.

As for the chip thing, I know the Extenders run the fan way up in the high 170's (178 or so IIRC) so that's not much of an issue in that respect, even if running a 160 Tstat (although it also has a race setting in it). Can't vouch for TT chips.

Those seem to be the predomenent chip's on today's market.

Jack

I replaced the thermostat with a 180.

Since i have done this i have noticed that my engine oil seems to stay cleaner looking @ my oil changes.

I would run a 180 theremostat guys

i have not had any heating or cooling problems with my car.

You definitely did the correct & best thing for your engine. :smile:

Old ways, no longer "useful" (& never optimal) die hard.

Obsolete ways retain a momentum
and life of their own for a long time.

Human nature hates "change"
from former ways of thinking,
even on a ten-dollar thermostat.