You can type here any text you want

What to do while the motor is out?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I lost a factory head gasket the other night and pulled the motor. I'm going to pull the oil pan and clean any gasket material out of it and the oil pump pickup. I was going to pull a few bearing and check them out.

It's a stock bottom end that is in real good shape. The piston tops are clean, no ridge on the cylinder walls, and still have plenty of cross hatch. I plan on at least installing a set of heads and studding the motor.

What do you all recommend I do while I have the oil pan off?

Thanks

That all sounds like a plan. I'd also clean up your wiring while you have room. Re routing stray wires etc. Also nows a good time to remove, or mask as much as possible and mask stuff off to paint the engine bay. Underhood black is one of my faves. Makes a huge difference.

Here is a shot of why the motor came out:

photo.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

What do you guys think of the bearings? I pulled both crank and rod bearings.

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

A set of HR motor mounts. I didn't and now i going to have to try to get them in without taking half the motor out.:D I think from a stock rebuild on up to a Stage engine they are worth the money.

I would just hone it, re ring it, new bearings since its apart, and get some new towels so there is no lint on the surfaces.
You might want to polish the crank, and check your tolerances.

Might want to find out why it popped the head gasket, looks like it had been eating away for awhile on the one that went. Maybe too much boost?

Nice to see some sticky head gaskets for once, dont see that much anymore...

Probably never blew up before because they were on like glue

BW

bearings look good. i would just clean the bottom end up real well (get all that lint out) and put it back toghter. i wouldnt pull it apart anymore then that.

I have been running the car at 28-30 psi of boost since I installed the TE45A. I'm constantly tuning it, so I have had some detonation.

What do you mean sticky head gaskets?

They look like the original head gaskets, when you pulled them off the material was stuck to both surfaces. Thats what i meant by sticky...

You have less of a chance popping a factory set of head gaskets over a set of new ones, new ones like mine, they come off and barely any sticks to either surface.

Which gaskets are you going to go back with? Cometic?

28psi, i bet that felt great :cool:

BW

Stroke that motor...

Bigger is better, its hurt, its out, thats ur excuse to go crazy.....stroker crank, at least 2 steel main caps, rods, pistons, ported irons, make it as bullet proof as possible. Its only money right? Good luck.

They look like the original head gaskets, when you pulled them off the material was stuck to both surfaces. Thats what i meant by sticky...

You have less of a chance popping a factory set of head gaskets over a set of new ones, new ones like mine, they come off and barely any sticks to either surface.

Which gaskets are you going to go back with? Cometic?

28psi, i bet that felt great :cool:

BW

I was going to use RJC head gaskets:

RJC Head Gasket Kit

Are those good?

If the stock ones are that good, couldn't I use a stock of ones?

Stock head gaskets were good for stock applications, they were sealed up real good and many many heat cycles over the last 20 some years. If you put a set of stock ones in, they would pop tomorrow with your current tune.

I would go with the rjc gaskets, at least you wont be doing any head gaskets anytime soon, nothing worse than blowing a head gasket when you start tuning.

With his gaskets, if they lift, you can retorque them, with the stock ones you have to replace them if the head lifts.

Since you are studding the motor, might as well stuff a cam in there..

BW

A set of HR motor mounts. I didn't and now i going to have to try to get them in without taking half the motor out.:D I think from a stock rebuild on up to a Stage engine they are worth the money.

Ditto on the HR mounts. A SUPER investment !!!

I replaced mine with motor in the car and had a buddy work the hoist while I was underneath with no problems. An hour and they were all done.

Mike

I lost a factory head gasket the other night and pulled the motor. I'm going to pull the oil pan and clean any gasket material out of it and the oil pump pickup. I was going to pull a few bearing and check them out.

It's a stock bottom end that is in real good shape. The piston tops are clean, no ridge on the cylinder walls, and still have plenty of cross hatch. I plan on at least installing a set of heads and studding the motor.

What do you all recommend I do while I have the oil pan off?

Thanks

How many miles on the motor and how often did it see the track?

I would of put a set of stock gaskets on it with motor in car, resurfaced the heads.. and back to beating on it.

Snowballs are a tricky thing to keep from growing when they're going downhill.

Did I miss rear main oil seal? If not, that's a must. If it was me, bearings look good, but I would Plastigage a few to be sure.

To be safe if you just put it togrthrt I would use an assemble lube like Royal Purple

Now is your chance to clean the engine compartment. I cleaned the steering box, frame rails, etc. Then, I replaced the body bushings and cleaned the complete underside of the car front to back (because I was already working on it, wth?) I also replaced my tie rods, idler arm, ball joints, control arm bushings, and coil springs! Basically, use the down time to do as much or as little as you want to the car. My stuff was all showing its age, so I freshened plenty while I had the car apart. Thanks, Rudy.

Do the Caspers ground relocation kit while the motor is out. I just did it on my GN with the trans out, made it a lot easier.

Already have one H&R mount on the driver side, passenger is stock and in good shape. I may add the second one.

I'm going to replace every gasket in the motor. Only makes sense after so much boost went into the crankcase........

Motor has 89k miles on it, 100's of track passes.

Since the wife is 8 months pregnant, I'm on a real tight budget.

Got a buddy of mine that has a roller 215/220 cam kit that will go in the motor. Plan on porting my stock heads the best I can (first time doing it). I'll have a machine shop make sure the heads are not warped or cracked and do a 3 angle valve job after I port them. Plan on staying stock valve size. Going to use RJC head gaskets and ARP studs. I'm also going to attempt to blue print the oil pump, was told it fairly easy to do and should be done while the motor is out.

Sound like a good plan?

Back