You can type here any text you want

Which Rear Control Arms--Best for Street Use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BASS

Ok, while I have my entire rear off, I want to replace both the upper and lower control arms, and was wondering which would be the best to go with in terms of ease of installation, best fitment, etc for stock-style setup (i.e. non-adjustable arms)? Car is street use only, with limited track use. Im thinking the H&R upper and lowers would be the best to go with? I also see metco and UMI as popular brands..

How often would I need to grease the poly bushings? Are they noisy on the street?:confused:

H&R seems to be the measuring stick. Hard to beat the quality.
or you could just box your stockers with new bushings.

x3. I've had boxed stock with good bushings, Southside's and Metco's in the past. H&R has by far been the best.
John

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the new style with poly bushings. I personally have run UMI on both cars and love them. Im beting you will get the same experience with HR or Metco. Any shocks ideas yet? Theres a can of worms right there.

I bought UMI uppers (non adjustable round ones) and lowers (rectangular) complete with poly bushings (even the set for the rear) for $299 plus shipping from gbodyparts. I'm quite happy with them. Easy install if the rear is already out anyway. GBodyParts.com Online

OK, I just ordered the standard H&R uppers and lowers..cant wait to install them! :cool:

Bass, I'm sure you will be very happy with your hrparts uppers and lowers. I just placed an order last week as well. I got the hr double adjustable uppers, lowers + 1/4, frame braces, tranny cross member bushings, got the hr bar at the house, and I also ordered some qa1's for all 4 corners, moog front suspension parts, kirbans coil springs all 4, and I'm about to order some aerospace brakes for all 4 corners and sc&c uppers and spc lowers. So ya. You should be happy I know I will be once I get this crap installed

Just got all the arms today...They look really good and shipping was lightening fast! Cant wait to install them, hopefully by the end of this week! :cool:

My hr parts are still in route. Mine should arrive on Friday and be installed on th 8th or so

Ok guys, I installed my rear with all the arms after sweating my a$$ off tonight in this humid nasty NJ weather today...everything fit fine, and alls I have left to do now is put the brakes back on..ill let you know how it turns out tomorrow night when I take it for a spin!!:p

Update..Just finished installing the brakes, and took the car for a spin and it rides very good! No noises, etc...No complaints from the H&Rs here..Next up is the H&R sway bar, I cant wait!:smile:

update

Well to give you all an update I to installed my hr double adjustable uppers, hr +1/4 lower, and hr bar as well. Didn't get to drive it yet as I had to change the plugs and do a few other things and didn't get to finish. I also installed new qa1 single adjustable shocks as well as new kirban rear springs. I can tell you one thing for sure is the rear stiffened up ALOT . Not sure what made the change but it was a major change. Anyways parts where shipped super fast and install went smooth as glass. I also installed some hr trans cross member braces as well. All went in super easy. The hardest part of the whole install was drilling the holes for the anti swaybar. I will let you all know if this helps my 60 foot and how I like them on the street. Best 60 so far is a 1.60 leaving at 3psi on 275/60r15 MT et street radials.

........ I can tell you one thing for sure is the rear stiffened up ALOT . Not sure what made the change but it was a major change. ........................ I will let you all know if this helps my 60 foot and how I like them on the street. Best 60 so far is a 1.60 leaving at 3psi on 275/60r15 MT et street radials.

Being stiffer on the street may be good, but may not help 60's at the track. :confused:

Some people use poly bushings for the upper rear arms, again not good for the track launch as they help put the rear suspension in a bind.

Best rear springs we have used for the rear are STOCK GN springs.

Your problem Brent is that you want a low 11 sec. G-body and a good handling street car. What is good for one goal, is NOT good for the other. :biggrin:

Nick, I agree. Its hard having a street car and wanting good track performance as well. As far as springs I wasn't sure what was in the rear of my car and I wasn't sure about getting the moogs stock replacements. I went with kirbans to see how I like them. As far as the car being stiffined up now it might be because I had 100% worn out parts. Uppers where in ok shape but lowers where In real bad shape. Bushings where shoot and the shocks I had on there where old checker specials from 13 years ago. I'm sure changing all the things I did at once was huge. O well. I will keep pluging along till the buick event

Back