Who Wants To Be Mentioned in a Turbo Buick Tech Article for Street Legal TV??

02WS686GN

GM EFI Founder/Editor
OK,

So I'm having a little trouble diagnosing my car. After I installed my new set of headers, I've been having general running issues. Yes, I installed the Hookers, but apart from the obvious lag, my car barely wants to run.

It stalls, sputters, misses, and has a rough idle. It seems to run better when it's cold, but the more it warms up, it progressively gets worse. It's not the mass airflow sensor, I've already checked.

That's my main issue...

But to add insult to injury, I have a very limited amount of tools, and zero place to work on my car since I've moved into this 'luxurious' apartment complex. Of course we have techs at our office/shop, but thanks to strict time restraints, we really don't have the time to schedule it in for diagnosis.

So if anyone or shop who knows Turbo Buicks inside and out, back to front in the SoCal area is willing to lend a hand with our project car, I'd be happy to mention you and/or your shop in the story (think of it as free advertising).

If you're interested, send me a PM, and we'll see what we can come up with. Thanks! :)

-Rick

Unfortunately, no.

Next on my items to buy - apart from whatever is mechanically wrong with this car, obviously.

O2 sensor....Sounds like as soon as it hits closed loop its crap. O2 could very well be shot...IMO get a heated o2 sensor kit and be done.
Could be a coil pack and module as well from the heat.
Do you notice it like all of a sudden idling fine and then bam start idling rough after a few minutes from cold start up. And if it seems to do it each time then I would lean toward the o2 sensor. Could also be a leaky IC hose...how is the connection from compressor to IC ? ANy signs off oil?

Rick,
The first thing you should check is your lease agreement. See if you can get out of it and get a house with a big-ass garage. :D
Next thing on the list would be to check the cam sensor. Let us know what you find.

O2 sensor....Sounds like as soon as it hits closed loop its crap. O2 could very well be shot...IMO get a heated o2 sensor kit and be done.
Could be a coil pack and module as well from the heat.
Do you notice it like all of a sudden idling fine and then bam start idling rough after a few minutes from cold start up. And if it seems to do it each time then I would lean toward the o2 sensor. Could also be a leaky IC hose...how is the connection from compressor to IC ? ANy signs off oil?

Nick Micale suggested it was the either the coil pack or the or module when he heard it at the Bates car show. However, I didn't take him for a ride in it.

Is also possible that the O2 was somehow damaged during the header install?

I'll check the IC hose this weekend... It idles a little rough when it's cold - not bad, but enough to notice. But once it warms up, it eventually gets to the point o where it's barely drivable.

Rick,

I'd give you a hand with it if you think you want to drive it down to San Diego.

Neal

I'd appreciate it, thanks, Neil! I'll see if she'll cooperate enough for me to limp it down there if necessary.

Where do you live?

Hemet/San Jacinto area.

Rick,
The first thing you should check is your lease agreement. See if you can get out of it and get a house with a big-ass garage. :D
Next thing on the list would be to check the cam sensor. Let us know what you find.

Ha! No doubt, and I'll let you know what the problem is. Once I do, I'll be calling you up to schedule my bumper filler installation. ;)

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Bryan

No. That's on my list, though. The fuel system is stock apart from my Walbro pump and Racetronix hotwire harness.

I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, brand new in the box from Kirban that I still need to install too, though.

Sure its possile for the o2 to get get jacked during install...many things...was close to the edge of reading before and now its done, contamination from any gasket dressing or antisieze that got blown through from header install, etc.

It totally could be the Coil pack and module...you can ohm out the coil packs and post up the readings. and then let it warm up and ohm again.

Fuel PSI?
What Chip?
Batt Voltage?

Get that scan tool man...

Oh the chip could use changing for sure...way better idle and open loop character

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well who's available this weekend? :)

I'd like to get this thing sorted out as soon as possible!

Well who's available this weekend? :)

I'd like to get this thing sorted out as soon as possible!

I would but you are so damn far away, :( I would make sure the chip matches the injectors, Ohm coil pack or change module, you could also have a bad MAF sensor or check the cam sensor, and just like others mentioned bad 02 sensor could cause problems as well, I always say that if in doubt, change it. :) good luck.

I would but you are so damn far away, :( I would make sure the chip matches the injectors, Ohm coil pack or change module, you could also have a bad MAF sensor or check the cam sensor, and just like others mentioned bad 02 sensor could cause problems as well, I always say that if in doubt, change it. :) good luck.

The injectors and chip are still the original ones from the factory. Never been replaced. Probably never even been removed from the car, come to think of it (car only has 67,000 miles on the ticker).

The MAF sensor was my first suspect, since it's displaying pretty much all of the symptoms of a faulty MAF. But it's good - or at least should be. I replaced it not too long ago. I unplugged it while it was running, and it stalled out. Plugged it back in and tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver while it was running - nothing happened. Not very technical, sure, but that's the only way I can readily test it.

I'll check the O2 sensor next. I know the heated versions are recommended and are a worthy upgrade for these cars. The GNX came with one from ASC, if I'm correct. Who sells a good one for not a ton of money?

No the gnx had a different o2 sensor number but was a single wire still.
Factory AFS20 GNX AFS22

No the gnx had a different o2 sensor number but was a single wire still.
Factory AFS20 GNX AFS22

96 Corvettes and 96 Caprices had different part #'s for the pwr antenna motor even though they were identical; but the price wasn't! $260 vs $85 or something like that.