Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

Just look in the first page of this thread if you want/ need more pics of intake/ accessories.
Thanks, I went back and checked them out and I clearly see the GN accessory bracket mounted.
Great project. Too bad I found one of my great interest in life, so late. If I would have known I'd be so interested cars, I would have bought a garage with a small house attached to it, instead of the inverse. Oh, I also wouldn't have gotten married or had children - lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian I'm not sure who your sourcing your header flanges through right now, but I have a supplier who is a good friend that I'm having laser cut flanges in stainless and carbon steel that are much heavier duty than ZZPs in my current design that I had waterjet cut for proto.

,Dan

Attachments

• flange_head.jpg
    flange_head.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 137
  • flange2.jpg
    flange2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 138
They look good but I cannt see me making another set of headers. The zzp's that are on my headers are working great. Make a run of them if there cheap enough . Eventually they will sell.

They look good but I cannt see me making another set of headers. The zzp's that are on my headers are working great. Make a run of them if there cheap enough . Eventually they will sell.

Ok, I remembered you were talking about producing a kit with headers, I figured it might be a better option rather than ZZP. My connection also mentioned if I wanted, when I built my headers they would be able to reverse engineer them and supply me the pre-bent tubes and other parts for production a pretty reasonable price. I just don't think there is enough market for the 3800 to make it worth it. The hardest hurdle would be the fabrication work on the intake and front cover and having replica castings made are big time $$$$.

,Dan

Honestly there's not enough demand to warrant making headers, intake or the front cover. People might still build with the stock fbody accessories which some have. I don't like the set up in a gbody but it is what it is. But it's a case of many liking the idea but not supporting it financially. Or me and cam would have had our headers to market along time ago. Same with intake and cover. I'd just concentrate on finishing yours.

Last edited:
I agree, nothing is holding me back on mine. This whole build though any custom part short of the castings is virtually modeled to make duplicates easier since a local friend would like to do the same on his.

,Dan

I agree, nothing is holding me back on mine. This whole build though any custom part short of the castings is virtually modeled to make duplicates easier since a local friend would like to do the same on his.

,Dan

I'm in process of having a 109 block rebuilt. Once it is built, I may sell it and go with a 3800 Series II or III block. With the money I've put into the 109 block, I could've built a 3800 and a gotten a transmission and met my performance goals without reliably coming into the question. When I told my engine builder I was looking to make 600rwhp RELIABLY, he told me that I would need to go to a stage II or TA performance block. Although from what I have read, I should be able to reliably make 600rwhp with my 109 block, as long as it is tuned. God knows I have spent enough money on it.

Got the hubs I designed from the shop yesterday they fit very good and the puller bolt clearence is perfect, and pressure tested (70psi) then powdercoated my front cover. I'll be busy this weekend with a wedding but here is an idea.

,Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20151113_200626.jpg
    IMG_20151113_200626.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20151113_200548896.jpg
    IMG_20151113_200548896.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20151113_215247923.jpg
    IMG_20151113_215247923.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20151113_215258303.jpg
    IMG_20151113_215258303.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20151113_162459.jpg
    IMG_20151113_162459.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
We just found the limit of the speedway motors adapter plate. Was fine at 460rwhp and two 10.80 drag runs.then we fitted ported heads lunched the plate fitted a brand-new one thinking it was just old and soft killed the New plate testing before the drags

We just found the limit of the speedway motors adapter plate. Was fine at 460rwhp and two 10.80 drag runs.then we fitted ported heads lunched the plate fitted a brand-new one thinking it was just old and soft killed the New plate testing before the drags

This is interesting, do you have any pictures of the failure?

I can't remember since its been a bit but I was thinking a couple bolts went through the trans and block.

Thanks. Dan

That sucks- I remember asking the adapter company what the plate was safe at( company escapes me) hp wise and they couldn't give me a number so I got discouraged with it.

Running 10:80's with 460rwhp is doing good.

This is interesting to me hence why I want to see the failure. With it bolted to the engine in at least one spot I'm assuming it broke the trans case as well? It blows my mind it wrapped the plate up at that kind of power with a light weight car.

,Dan

I talked with the trans adapters guy about his $500 adapter and its power capacity and he gave me some smart ass response about "we build big block adaptors, how in the hell do you think your little V6 would break this". It really turned me off on dealing with the prick so I went this way. If it isn't strong enough I will design my own.

,Dan

Gearbox was 10mm off the block at the top and flexplate broke as well case survived than God had just fitted a brand-new mikes transmissions ultimate 350 with transbrake would of been pissed if it broke lol.now have 10mm thick plate being made

Had stretched the plate off the block between all the bolts possibly from converter pressure trying to push both apart

Had stretched the plate off the block between all the bolts possibly from converter pressure trying to push both apart

That is actually the first thing I thought of, this was a big problem in the LS world with big RPM 4L80E applications, guys were killing thrust bearings in their engine left and right. I think they found restriction problem causing pressure. Not sure how similar your trans is to an 80E but that was just my initial thought.

,Dan

Regardless it seems like an axial force problem created by your trans/converter not a power problem.

Thanks, Dan

I was just looking at mine and I also drilled/tapped the block in the 10 O'Clock position and put a bolt through. I'm assuming you did not do this since it would have had to broken the bolt/case to move out at the top at all?

,Dan

I talked with the trans adapters guy about his $500 adapter and its power capacity and he gave me some smart ass response about "we build big block adaptors, how in the hell do you think your little V6 would break this". It really turned me off on dealing with the prick so I went this way. If it isn't strong enough I will design my own.

,Dan
Have you checked w/ Lonnie Diers on his adapters, to if he has one for the 3800's.