Why Are HotAir Cars Slow?

Damn,that's an old thread...2001...good read tho.

As far as the cam goes,all I can really point at is that the proof's in the pudding.Look at the fastest hotair cars and they all have cams,most of them way bigger than the average 87 guy would even consider running.

Out of the cars on this board who have turned decent times I think my car probably has the smallest cam at 208.Lee,Drew and I'm pretty sure Jamie have cams in the 212-218 range and they all run the number.I'm probably forgetting some too.

Cams might just be another one of those weird hotair things...:confused:

If it were me there's no way I'd put it back together without one.

cam

ok so whats a good cam choice for my car. mods listed in sig and add max ported heads to the list

If youve got the intake off and push rods loose for heads pull the front cover and do the cam. Whether its more of a hotair thing or not :confused: All I know is these cars respond to bigger cams as much as any NA vehicle Ive ever put a cam in. If youve upgraded the air intake and fuel system, not to mention heads! Its only right to upgrade that puny cam.
I have experimented/abused my car for years. Played with Poston's gn107t cam , a stocker, and then finally the 204/214 Speedpro. Im talking day and night difference once moving to the 204/214. I remember entering an event at the track some years ago with the same unrebuilt shortblock thats still in the car. If memory is right previously I ran 14.1 @ around 100mph (I think). Only change I made before this event was to pull the stock cam and throw in my slightly used 204/214 from my .030 over block that spun a main bearing. First time trial run I ran a 13.5 @ I think 103.5 with no chance to tune on a 85 degree day. This was before progressive alky. I was still using my DIY kit though with F150 pump, hobbs switch and NOS nozzle and jets :cool:
For the new setup thats in the works I have a 208/224 Schneider.
I started following this thread late and havent had time to jump in. Glad to see some of the old crew did though. I am not going to even start on the topic title because Ive already given my opinion many times about how I dont think there is much difference between the 84-87 cars performance wise and that that is the way you should approach your project.
I have always said that alky injection was at the top of the list for additions for a hotair car. For me a bigger camshaft proved high in the ranking as well. Its all about moving that air. I cant say much as far as the intake because I put my engine together from the beginning with a ported one (bought the car with no drivetrain), so have no back to back comparison. I just used common sense on this part, sticking with the moving air idea (nothing but a big air pump right?). There are plenty of other mods that can be talked about to death (see sig) but I dont think I have to even mention them. They are common upgrades that everyone does, NA cars too, and yes even 86/87 so whats the big deal when a HA car does it? (that should really include the upgraded intake idea too shouldnt it?:rolleyes: ). Only other thing I will bring up now that matters is the "wall" I felt I keep running into when it came to easily upping performance. That "wall" is the turbo. The TA33 has not been enough turbo from the day I installed it. I mentioned before the dillema I had with turbo choice limitations due to configuration etc, not just recently but years ago. I feel this is the one great advantage of the 86/87 configuratioin, I couldnt care less about the stinkin IC (what is an intercooler again anyway:confused: ). I researched spending $1200 to make a custom HA turbo stuffed into a inefficient TA style housing and finally made the [duh??] decision to grab a new GT6152 turbo on sale for $675 shipped. With the money I would have spent I bought a MAFT-PRO/chip, with cash to spare to go towards other parts (60lbers, 3400 vigilante, etc). Okay now I have to mention one other point, other than the turbo. With how seriously important I believe tuning is, the other issue Ive always pondered was engine management. Looking at the various ricers out there and the power they squeeze out of those little engines made me think about how more advanced their tuning and engine management must be. Tuning with the MAFTPRO hopefully will help a little ;) Planning on connecting a WBO2 to it too. Doesnt cost as much or as involved as other options out there (FAST etc). Should be interesting.

So yes with the GT6152 I will be moving the TB off of the turbo but it will still be hotair. Call it a '85-1/2 setup if it makes you happy:rolleyes: I might take my current setup and put it into my other car. Hoping to lay down some very nice #s in the not too distant future on what I like to think is a "evolved from common sense" '84 hotair setup. Not even close to a "sell out" '87 motor swap so dont even start. It will continue to be the "different" setup at the Buick meets.
Im willing to confidently bet that I could squeeze a 11sec pass out of my current combo but why? Although I would like to, just to say I did, my ta33 is dead and Im not going to rebuild it just for that. Its not worth it. Ive already made a name for myself in the area with my hotair car picking up where Dan Smith left off and passing him with nothing special (plus no slicks, no race gas). In the scheme of things not much more money into the setup (havent spent anything in years anyway) and should be relatively easy to run the #s I want to without having to squeeze.

lee had told me to go with the 208/224 Schneider as well. im not sure its really worth doing at the moment. i was think of doing the heads do alot of tunning then do the cam but i dont know. hummm

If that's the cam Lee recommends I'd go ahead and take advantage of his experience and do it now.You'll have most of the motor apart already anyway...

. Tuning with the MAFTPRO hopefully will help a little ;) Planning on connecting a WBO2 to it too..

Now that's what I'm talking about.:cool: The wideband control on that thing looks unreal.

See,I knew I was forgetting more of the big cam crew...:D

Back in the the day, Louie was also using a Scheider 208/218 just like Leeo. Louie was also above sea level in Colorado. Drew Carlton was using a Comp Cams 268 (212-212) and had go success out of it. If I remember right, Red (Red's Hot Air) was using a Edelbrock (Speedpro 204/214) in a Hot Air, which was later converted to intercooled and went into the 10.60's @130... still using a HA bottom end. Back when Buick DOMINATED the INDY 500, those cars were HOT AIR. 4 liter giants running on pure Methanol. Don Wang is the current Meth Guru and his car is in the mid 9's, but it is intercooled and has a small nitrous system:eek: Running mid 220's to 230mph in a Hot Air Buick must have required 35-40+lbs of boost. Running Methanol cooled the charge.

Camshaft designs have changed. We are finding split duration is better. Old design were good (204-204, 210-204), but better exh duration is producing better results (204-214, 200-220, 208-218).

Hey now,Geno went 9's with my cam.Literally.I bought if off him for $100 when he went stage...:D

Regardless,if I was gonna pay new money for one I'd jump on one of those split grinds for sure.:cool:

well i got some bad news. motor is out of the car getting a full rebuild from zimmerman. 4 out of the 6 pistons where bad so im doing new pistons bored over,heads,cam,all new bearing,balanced,stock rods and crank,and billet center caps, i really didnt want to do this as i want to build a 4.1 but o well.anyways the motor is over at zimmermans and im getting ready to go over seas so i hope to have the car running in october. it would be nice to see more of you hotair guys up at the WCN this year NOV. 23,24,25. im going to run some 11's so it would be nice for you guys to show. anyways im still trying to figure out a few more things. also im going to have my v1 intake for sale if anyone wants it send me a pm. i wont be able to get it to you till the end of the year since it will be with the motor till i get back.

brent

well, why are h/a cars slow

Well, after all this reading, and listening to the vast amounts of knowledge and opinions, and personal statements of what works and what doesnt, what does this whole thread boil down to? It definitley is a thought provoking thread. Is it that each of us as individuals finds out what works for us and our cars, or is there one specific formula that is the Holy Grail of the Fastest Possible Speed.
I think that it justs boils down to a formula that works for the individual person and their car. Each car is its own entity. Good luck to all.
Fred

.......... I think that it justs boils down to a formula that works for the individual person and their car. Each car is its own entity. Good luck to all.
Fred

Yeah, what it really boils down to is:
How many gr/sec can you get into the cylinder at the end of the intake cycle, and burn it efficiently at max advance without KR. :biggrin:

Fred- Well spoken and I agree with you completly. Good luck- Brad

Well, after all this reading, and listening to the vast amounts of knowledge and opinions, and personal statements of what works and what doesnt, what does this whole thread boil down to? It definitley is a thought provoking thread. Is it that each of us as individuals finds out what works for us and our cars, or is there one specific formula that is the Holy Grail of the Fastest Possible Speed.
I think that it justs boils down to a formula that works for the individual person and their car. Each car is its own entity. Good luck to all.
Fred

well i wanted to give this thread a bump. its 5:04 am in the UAE and i was thinking with all the little stuff thats wrong with the hot airs why cant we get them out of the mid to low 11's? well my guess is we need a bigger turbo. theres stock block 87s run 9. i know theres one that runs 8's but that would be far from stock even thow it uses a 109 block. anyways if you look at the basic setups the only thing becides the intercooler then have is a very large turbo. maybe we need to get more air in there once we open everything up. my whole motor is getting re done so im going to have a awsome flowing intake and the best iron heads i can run maybe we need to get a huge turbo on there. i dont know maybe im wrong here. well bump to the thread anyways. now im going back to my room and try to think about this more. i cant sleep since my roomate my as well be running a chain saw in there.i have never heard anyone snoor as long as this guy. i beat on the walls throw things at him and he doesnt miss a beat. well gnight

I would say the intake and turbo are the culprits! Of course, the intercooler has a hand in it as well since you have to keep boost in check with the hot air.
Conrad

a couple questions on this topic

1.What psi do the 86/87 10 second cars run?
2.Has anyone ever had the intakes and heads on a flow bench to actual measure the difference in flow?
3.Has or does anyone offer a aftermerket intake manifold if not WHY?
4.Do the hot air cars with the 86/87 conversion match the performance of the actual 86/87 cars?

4.Do the hot air cars with the 86/87 conversion match the performance of the actual 86/87 cars?

i am also wondering this same thing since i am thinking about doing a conversion?

i am also wondering this same thing since i am thinking about doing a conversion?

Of course they match performance. They're the same car. When I added an intercooler and filter, I matched performance.

I honestly think it's a numbers game. There's more Intercooled car out there than hotair cars. More people are working on intercooled cars and trying to make them faster than hotair cars. The more buyers for intercooled parts than hotair.

I personally didn't buy my car for the sole purpose of going faster than everyone else. I always liked the styling of the G-Body cars and the Grand National had (In my opinion) the most attractive of them all. It also had the "Legendary" status of being a fast car.

My first goal was to make my car as fast (if not faster) than a stock 86-87. I wanted to feel the same power and speed of a 86-87 setup and make sure I could lay smack down on cars that should be beaten by a Grand National.

The satisfaction I get is when people that know that I have a hotair car say "WOW, I've never seen a Hotair go that fast". I also get satisfaction when I take it to car shows and people stare more at my engine bay setup than the intercooled cars. It's not that it's pretty than their cars, it's just that there's 10 cars and I'm the one that looks different out of then 10.

You guys that are taking hotairs to new performance levels are my personal heroes.

Just my .02 worth

Eric is a cool guy! HE has a very valid point and a very nice car. Hot air cars can be made to run very fast. I made the decision to convert my 84GN to I/C after much thought. My problem boiled down to the fact that the availability of high performance parts for the hot air cars was/is virtually non-existence. Sure, there is a limited upgrade on turbos available and the hipo cat back exhaust can be retrofitted with a little work. The roller cams are all interchangeable. V1 had some great stuff for the hot air motor several years ago but they went bankrupt. Their stuff appears for sale ocassionally on this and other TB sites. If you are curious and a good fabricator, a hot air car can be made to keep up with many I/C GN's. As you climb the HP ladder, the I/C becomes more of an advantage. Chemical intercooling (alcohol) can level the playing field to some exten

Conrad

i want to get my car in the 10's but im not sure that will ever happen with the 3.8 liter. i know if i went with a 4.1 , 4.1 stroker or a ta alum block i could get there but it sure would be nice to get to the 10's with a 3.8. anyways im thinking we need to go to a huge turbo and see what happens. o well in a few more months i will see where my car sits and what i can do to get more power out of it.