You can type here any text you want

Will this legitamately prevent thefts??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

asrnj77

I was thinking about this attachment to the car alarm...what do you guys think? Its about $350 (for the GPS D4) for the unit and the first year is free. 2 additional years for $49 and theft recovery service for $49 as long as you have the service contract.

I really like this but want to hear what the ups and downs might be..

OmegaGPS: vehicle tracking at its best!~

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong thread...

Prevent the theft... NO.. recover whatever what's left of it after they've ran from the police.. or stripped it... possibly.

Prevention... do some kill switches(home made)..car alarm that pages U... and one of these:
AK2.jpg

That should just about cover it....:biggrin:

Theft Deterrent???

GPS is nothing more than a transmitter to show current location. It is not a theft deterrent. I have a similar GPS tracking system, but it has a motion detector that will notify me, and it also will notify me if it goes 20 meters (I think) from the location where it was activated. I can also arm and disarm the unit from my cell phone. It sends this info to my cell phone via text messages. You can login to the homepage and see real time tracking. Pretty cool, hopefully I will never need it!

Doesn't anybody use lojack anymore? :D Lots of GPS trackers on the market now. Someone needs to do a comparo........;)

Ken

It's up to the police department to outfit their vehicle with a lojack sensor. If a local pd doesn't have one...well then I guess you better hope the bad guy drives past a cruiser that does in another area. It's also more vague..the GPS could help you "Yes, Ma'am (to 911 dispatcher) they are turning west on Main Street going about 29mph". Maybe the police can approach without getting into a chase and damaging your car any more than it already is.

Also I saw the Scytek Vision Guard 8000. This takes a picture of the scumbags face who is in your car and sends it to the lcd on the remote keychain. The camera also takes pics in night vision. I think it's around $299 these days

The GPS blows LoJack away. The LoJack was a good idea at the time but technology has surpassed it

What I like about my GPS is the "alarm" function that calls my cell phone and sends emails to work and home account. If it moves outside a 20 meter range, it sends another alarm, then only needing a PC to access live data. LoJack is pretty cool, but what if you left for work at 5:30AM, got home at 4:00 to discover your car missing. Alot can happen in 10.5 hours! And, as asrnj77 stated, if the local PD does not have LoJack, you are out of luck.
... but then again, not sure what the police response would be to an auto theft in progress, either!
Bottom line is if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to get it!

It's up to the police department to outfit their vehicle with a lojack sensor. If a local pd doesn't have one...well then I guess you better hope the bad guy drives past a cruiser that does in another area. It's also more vague..the GPS could help you "Yes, Ma'am (to 911 dispatcher) they are turning west on Main Street going about 29mph". Maybe the police can approach without getting into a chase and damaging your car any more than it already is.

Also I saw the Scytek Vision Guard 8000. This takes a picture of the scumbags face who is in your car and sends it to the lcd on the remote keychain. The camera also takes pics in night vision. I think it's around $299 these days

The GPS blows LoJack away. The LoJack was a good idea at the time but technology has surpassed it

Lojack for some reason is still popular in some areas. I know in NY it is very popular. In CT not so much. We use to have several Police cars outfitted with Lojack but I only know of (2) now.

It never really worked all that well. The older system just had arrows that would point in the direction the vehicle was traveling. It wasn't useless. We did get into many good pursuits with Lojack but the GPS just seems to be a much better option.

A lot of times it would just be a car driving down the highway and one of our cars would pick it up cause I-95 runs right thru our city. Then we would loose the signal. Had no idea if the car was traveling north or south on the H-Way tho. You use to have to call in some confirmation number thru the dispatcher which was a PITA. But the newer units work differently I hear.

If the police chase a stolen car there is about an 80% chance that it will end up either being rammed or the driver will crash on his own. Atleast with GPS you can track urself immediately and just wait till the car stops moving and get in it and drive it back home "Crash Free".

There are so many kill switches out there I don't see how any thief could steal ones car these days without towing it away. So if towed away then GPS will certainly give peace of mind atleast. I like the picture of the thief option tho. That is actually very kool.

Back