WTF E-85 is the same priced as 87 octane gas

onefastgn

$1.98 for regular gas and so is E-85, it is usually $.50 cents cheaper does anyone know why?

they probably don't sell nearly as much E85 as they do regular gas so they've still got some older Ethanol in the tanks that they bought at a higher price. with the way the price of gas has been crashing lately, the two prices ended up the same.
also, i don't think the price of ethanol is going down like the price of gas.
in Fergus Falls, MN, 87 octane is right around $2.00, and E85 is something like $1.69 or so.
look at it this way- your cost per mile on E85 right now is probably about the same as running 93 octane. and even if it is a little more, it's worth it just for the way the car runs.

87 oct is $2.02 and E85 is $1.79 here in big rapids, michigan. The week before it was $2.05 for 87 and $2.02 for E85.

i think it is just due to the fact that the 87 tanks get refilled more than the E85 tanks so the older, more expensive E85 is still in the tank. make sense?:)

its weird how E85 has always been about $.30-.40 cheaper than 87 octane, throughout this whole price drop?! when only 15-30% of E85 is gasoline?

I wouldn't look at it like that at all, more like this.

110 Octane = $5.29
E85 = $1.99
:eek:
:D

At least you guys can still get it. The price here was always about 3 bucks a gallon. with Regular at $2.39 right now, they just stopped selling E-85 all together. We haven't had any for about a month now. Good thing I didn't get hooked ;)

At least you guys can still get it. The price here was always about 3 bucks a gallon. with Regular at $2.39 right now, they just stopped selling E-85 all together. We haven't had any for about a month now. Good thing I didn't get hooked ;)

Very true - not to mention the plant in Portales has ceased production for the time being.

Do the research...Ethanol only has anywhere between 30-40 energy content, which yields about 35% less gas mileage than gasoline. That's why guys running 100% E85 run a lot bigger injector per their HP level.

Do the research...Ethanol only has anywhere between 30-40 energy content, which yields about 35% less gas mileage than gasoline. That's why guys running 100% E85 run a lot bigger injector per their HP level.

all common knowledge- but not always true. the best mileage my T Type ever got was on a full tank of E85. got 24mpg on a 130 mile interstate jaunt, normally only ever get around 17.
and what does your post have to do with the price of E85?

E-85 is only a good deal when oil is sky high when oil is cheaper like it is now E-85 is not cost effective,
Mike

all common knowledge- but not always true. the best mileage my T Type ever got was on a full tank of E85. got 24mpg on a 130 mile interstate jaunt, normally only ever get around 17.
and what does your post have to do with the price of E85?

His post justifies the background behind the 1.4x calculation that goes into the total cost of E85. What does yours? One data point of mpg for ~5.5 gallons of E85 consumed?