You guys talked me into e85 now need advice...87 GN

jbaker

Ordered TT 6.1 e85 chip and the 340 pump today.
Running 60# inj, Bosch stock looking adj reg, gbody slic, bison 60-1 stage 3, Rjc boost controller, hot wire kit. Other usual stuff.
Installing -8 or -10 Teflon to front and -6 return.
Goal of low 11 or around 450-500 rwhp. With good voltage and unrestricted lines my calc shows the pump should do the job, with a bit of margin.
Need advice on the following.....other comments welcome. Going to see how this goes and maybe do rt 430 setup next year if I'm happy with e85 or because I want more performance.
1. Decently priced after pump filter? 10-20 micron, or what you guys have proven to work.
2. Running aem wb...is there a chart to convert gas a/f to e85 a/f.
3. Boost start point and limit to meet my goal or max out fuel system, as that will be my restrictor.
4. Timing start point.
5. Trash current reg? If so go with what?
6. A/f start point on aem....10.5?
7. Storage, do you guys run it down and put gas in for the winter, or extended non driving time. Add marvel?
8. Sure I forgot stuff, so fill me in.
If I can't meet my goal please comment on what I can do with this set up. Car runs 12.3 now on stock turbo 22#, 42 inj, stock pump, 100 octane. Love it's current street manners so anything more will be great even if I can't meet my stated goal.
Thanks, Jeremy.

eromotive makes a 40 micrton stainless steel filter element. You will want an adjustable
fpr. I would crank boost down to 15 psi and build up slowly. You do have a scan gauge, don't you?
Conrad

My should have stated boost gage, aem gage, 3 bar, and power logger with my lap top.

What parts are on the car now? BTW your stock lines will do just fine you dont have to change your fuel lines.

Chris, is there something specific your wondering? Currently set up for gas, TT 5.7 chip, PL, AEM wb, stock fuel pump hot wired, 42 inj, CAI, ported exh elbow, 3" Kirban DP, test pipe, w pypes 2.5, stk turbo, RJC contoller, RJC plate, stk intercooler, bosch fuel reg.
Update after speaking with Eric.
Looks like I'm going with 80# Injectors to keep duty cycle and the wb 6.1 chip function in line. No 340 pump.
Stepping up to the Racetronix E85 approved, 430 single set up.
1. Decently priced after pump filter? 10-20 micron, or what you guys have proven to work. HOLLEY PAPER or AEROMOTIVE SS? OTHERS?
2. Running aem wb...is there a chart to convert gas a/f to e85 a/f. ANSWERED....NO
3. Boost start point and limit to meet my goal or max out fuel system, as that will be my restrictor. START @ 16, STEP UP SLOW KEEPING DUTY CYCLE IN LINE.
4. Timing start point. ANSWERED........
5. Trash current reg? If so go with what? LOOKING @ ACCUFAB.
6. A/f start point on aem....10.5? ANSWERED....11.0
7. Storage, do you guys run it down and put gas in for the winter, or extended non driving time. Add marvel?
8. Sure I forgot stuff, so fill me in.

#2 On the AEM WB to convert readings - theres no need to try to convert the readings..the sensor originally reads in lambda then converts to a gas afr on the wideband..lambda never changes.

#3 You aint going nowhere without pumping air into the motor - your going to have to crank it up.

#4 Timing i start @ around 23-21 + or - depending on your engine if it knocks or not you have to play with your setup.

#5 I run a stock modified regulator works great

#6 This is the tricky part 1st of all you have to make sure your E85 is actually 85% not less and again your going to have to play with it i would say 10.6 - 11.0 to start out with fatten it on 3rd/ 4th

For #7, I switched back to gasoline in October and have been running it since. I just changed the oil and sent a sample to Blackstone, so I'll have some insight into if the wear is OK or not soon. It ran fine on the gas, though. Got as high as 25mpg on a recent trip to Mississippi, even, so I'm pretty sure it's going to come back healthy and ready for another season on the corn juice.

If you're going to park it for awhile, I would fill it up with gasoline. The E85 absorbs water from the air, and our fuel systems aren't stainless steel, so if it sits, you will get corrosion in the tank.

OH for #1 i used the stock filter for a long time no problems, but i did recently swap over to an aeromotive stainless filter just because i did some spring cleaning and it was already on my shelf.. My car runs fantastic.

Ive left my car sitting with e85 in the tank for over 2 months maybe even 3 no problems with corrosion

Ive left my car sitting with e85 in the tank for over 2 months maybe even 3 no problems with corrosion

And you know this how? Did you stick a camera down the filler tube? It'll take more than two months to rot a hole. The point is to make sure it never starts rotting in the first place.

Alchohol + water + steel = corrosion. Period. It will happen. That's why the OE's put all stainless fuel system components in their flex fuel vehicles. We can get by by keeping the fuel fresh, which keeps the water content down.

Ive been playing with E85 for a long time, i 1st started playing with it a few yrs ago when it wasnt very popular with my Turbo Rotary Rx7 i had a standalone system and i started playing with the Ethanol most stuff ppl say about E85 is pretty comical :D ive used it for awhile it's my choice to use it. Works great

And you know this how? Did you stick a camera down the filler tube? It'll take more than two months to rot a hole. The point is to make sure it never starts rotting in the first place.

Alchohol + water + steel = corrosion. Period. It will happen. That's why the OE's put all stainless fuel system components in their flex fuel vehicles. We can get by by keeping the fuel fresh, which keeps the water content down.

It isnt pure alcohol. its 85% there is some pump gas in it already dont worry about the corrosion trust me one thing i wouldnt do is drain it and keeping the tank dry, Leave it decently filled and you'll be good

It isnt pure alcohol. its 85% there is some pump gas in it already dont worry about the corrosion trust me one thing i wouldnt do is drain it and keeping the tank dry, Leave it decently filled and you'll be good

That doesn't change the chemistry. Water will mix with E85, and it will eat out the lines and the tank if it takes on too much water and sits. It could take years, but that stills means a rotted tank where there didn't need to be one. I plan on keeping my car for as long as possible, and I'd prefer the parts on it last as long as possible.

Ok well if there is a corrosion issue im assuming the pump would start to give out since it would be clogged with junk so it might start to give you FP problems, and im assuming if the seams on the tank start leaking then you would know. But so far so good for me no problems, Make sure you have a FP gauge to monitor FP when in boost etc.. That's all i do..

Im sure the next thing on your list sooner or later is going to be the plugs, if there is one thing ppl agree to disagree with E85 is on the spark plug heat range / gap. Not sure who stated on here to run the coldest plugs available but everyone runs with cold plugs on here. I dont

Was just going to run AC R42TS's at .032-.035 and read them and keep an eye on them. I tend to put new plugs in every spring, they are cheap.
I'm most likely going Accufab on the FPR just to be safe. The one on there came with the car. Anyone happen to know the thread fitting type in the bottom of it? Idnetical to factory and accepts factory return line with no problem. Need that fitting for it and AN/JIC on the other for my fuel lines.