10 Point Cage for 8.50

I was quoted $2200 for a chromoly 8.50 legal cage from the guy that did Dusty's 25.3 upgrade. $5000 is not far away from getting you a 25.5 in chromoly.

I"ll get some pictures of the mild steel 8.50 cage in my new car tomorrow. I was told it was done by Big Head Chris who I belive has a couple cage threads here. It fits very well and I wouldn't have done much of anything different.
Mike,

Looks like it would be cheaper to bring my car to the US and have a Cage done than up here. Their is a guy in Quebec that does really nice work. But I would have to give him my House for it...:(

So what`s the deal. I heard that for an 8 sec car it has to be a Chrome Moly Cage and not Steel!! Is this correct?

No, my 6 point was steel, and what they added to it was cro-mo and it passed NHRA cert.

Mild steel or Chro moly. You can even mix them all the way up to 25.5 SFI spec.

I am in the process of having a 12 point cage installed in my 1969 Chevelle race car and by the time the cage is done, with the motor/mid plates, and the trunk structure that houses the fuel system and goes into the chute mount,seat mounts, cutting the front stub for oil pan clearance, and building a trans crossmember, I will be at about $4500 in chrome moly. chrome moly is not necessary, but the cage will weigh less. Chrome moly will also make the more appealing if ti was ever to be sold also.

Bringing this back up. I am paying $3500 for a 8.5 cage. All CM, being done by one of the best chassis guys in the industry, a legend in NE OH. This is going way beyond the 8.5 cert, doing what he feels should be done, front bars, helmet bar, ass saver bar (not X'ing the doorway), rocker bar, dash bar, gussets, 3 crossbars in the rear, 14 point in all, custom window net, parachute, harnesses, etc.
397666_3903234631186_402840170_n.jpg

I'm sure there are other qualified fabricators but in Ct JW are the best! They have done a couple of cars for me and if I stop breaking s##t and get under 10.0 consistently ,I'll have Joe change my roll bar into a cage .Joe and his dad are great guys .They are not only great craftsmen ,they have integrity.They charge what they need to do the proper job and make a reasonable profit.Whats wrong with that? No BS and salt of the earth people too! Jim Maguire

I'm sure there are other qualified fabricators but in Ct JW are the best! They have done a couple of cars for me and if I stop breaking s##t and get under 10.0 consistently ,I'll have Joe change my roll bar into a cage .Joe and his dad are great guys .They are not only great craftsmen ,they have integrity.They charge what they need to do the proper job and make a reasonable profit.Whats wrong with that? No BS and salt of the earth people too! Jim Maguire

I just dropped my car off at JW this past Saturday for an 8.50 cage...impressive shop and Joe is a great guy, just make sure your Trans in your tow vehicle is up to par because u have to climb a 1+mile hill that seems to go straight up to reach his shop :)

I just dropped my car off at JW this past Saturday for an 8.50 cage...impressive shop and Joe is a great guy, just make sure your Trans in your tow vehicle is up to par because u have to climb a 1+mile hill that seems to go straight up to reach his shop :)

Another thumbs up for JW in CT, great guy and awesome fabricator.

Bobby - Looks like you should have borrowed my F-150 for the tow...I cruised up the hill.

looks nice ... i want my rear bas to co closer to the roof
I originally wanted that, but after going with Kirkey seats, and the side bars are getting the back half of the X out, rocker bars, the driver's side is getting a helmet bar and kidney bar, and the hoop has a crossmember over the trans tunnel with downtubes, the rear seat is for show. Maybe a kid can get back there. It is all about making the car safe, and make the chassis work. At these speeds giving that up for using the back seat, which hasn't been sat in since the 90's, or not cutting the factory stuff up is being irresponsible. I am at the point of no return with this car.