10 Point Cage for 8.50

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
I am doing some research on how and where to start. I would like to get a Cage for it to be legal 8.50.
Up here I did some checking on prices and I think they have lost their minds or I am far off in time.
One guy asked $3500 and another $5000 for a Chrome Moly. Chit man the kit costs $500.
So I am leaning on doing it myself and having my Tig Master friend do the Welds. But if some of you can show me a few tips on how it should look while retaining my full Interior and the back Seats...Or NOT Possible??

Thanks in advance
Joe

That's about what they cost installed Joe. There's a lot of fitting involved as well as stripping the insides out so you don't catch something on fire or melt parts.

I was quoted $2200 for a chromoly 8.50 legal cage from the guy that did Dusty's 25.3 upgrade. $5000 is not far away from getting you a 25.5 in chromoly.

I"ll get some pictures of the mild steel 8.50 cage in my new car tomorrow. I was told it was done by Big Head Chris who I belive has a couple cage threads here. It fits very well and I wouldn't have done much of anything different.

Slightly off topic: Seems that labor prices are getting pretty high. My brother is restoring a 72 Chevelle and a local body shop wanted $3k each side for new quarters. 6 grand, just for two quarter panels, NOT painted either. What a load of crap.

I was quoted $2200 for a chromoly 8.50 legal cage from the guy that did Dusty's 25.3 upgrade. $5000 is not far away from getting you a 25.5 in chromoly.

I"ll get some pictures of the mild steel 8.50 cage in my new car tomorrow. I was told it was done by Big Head Chris who I belive has a couple cage threads here. It fits very well and I wouldn't have done much of anything different.
A guy up here charges $12K for something close to a 25.5. That would be great Mike if I can see some pics to give me an idea. If I feel up to it and my back feels right..I might just start doing it myself.

Joe

I have done quite a few looking around and seeing what some of you guys have done. So I think I will be OK and know what has to be done.

Thanks for the help................................."AGAIN"!!!

Joe

Joe..come up to Toronto and measure up mine and duplicate for your car . :)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!lsE5ZUojfCgBOcL8l(0LQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!lsE5ZUojfCgBOcL8l(0LQ~~60_3.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 492
according to metal stamped ID tag on cage it was done by "John Moton Race Cars" . Anyone know of him ?

JW Racefab in Connecticut is installing my 10 pointer in about 6 weeks...$2400 in Chromoly. i asked him why he's so much cheaper than others and he said he can tig as fast as most can mig so no upcharge :) He did my buddies car too, looks beautiful. You may want to give him a call if CT is a reasonable distance, his name is Joe and he's a really cool guy to talk with. Here's what else I really liked, he has your car for 4 days...done, not weeks. he has a 2-3 mo waiting list though and when it's your turn, you gotta move quick!

I guess every area of the country is different...$1400.00 for chromoly with swing-outs was what I was quoted last year with certification.I need to save some money and just get it done, of course getting the engine to stay in one piece would be a good start...

Bryan

I guess every area of the country is different...$1400.00 for chromoly with swing-outs was what I was quoted last year with certification.I need to save some money and just get it done, of course getting the engine to stay in one piece would be a good start...

Bryan
At that price I would not think twice about it. The cheapest I got was $1500 for just a Mild Steel Cage.

Joe..come up to Toronto and measure up mine and duplicate for your car . :)
That is just about I am looking on doing. You have the Swing out side Bars? That is what I have now with my 6 Point. Looking into deciding if I will do it again or not.