3.5" downpipes/external racegate for ATR headers & a/c

Underboost, great looking pipe, but unfortunately, I don't think that the pipe will clear ATR headers.

I wonder though, why you didn't just go ahead and use the Terry Houston 3.5" downpipe as I thought they are still available. Maybe that's false.

The update now is that I have no fabricator for the project. You should feel sorry for him. Most of his equipment has been stolen in the past few weeks - $13,000 worth of welding, plasma cutting, metalwork, and other tools.

Hope someone else steps up, and hope you guys will support him/her with $ if a product is made.

John

John,

I'm just a guy that need a 3.5 Downpipe. I had a great fabricator and a beat up TH3.5DP so i said, I'll make my own! So I have, and this is the finished product. I have the means to make more so why not offer it to some fellow TR owners? I have looked, and looked and could find one so i made my own. ;)

I hope everything works out with you buddy that sucks. :frown:

That downpipe looks great! I've been looking at places where I can buy the pipe needed so I can make one myself. Except it will be made for ATR/E-bay style headers.

Brent, I don't think that will clear ATR headers either. My 3" THDP for ATR headers comes within 1/2" of the a/c line so I can't fit my hand in between them. It comes off the turbo and goes much further over towards the fender before bending down, and almost touches the inner fender right over the rear control arm bushing (I've seen one car where it actually melted the fender a little but mine seems to have a little more room).

That downpipe looks great! I've been looking at places where I can buy the pipe needed so I can make one myself. Except it will be made for ATR/E-bay style headers.

I made my own 3.5" external gate downpipe that fits ATR headers and still maintains the a/c. The downpipe will fit without hitting but it's very close to the a/c box and the headers themselves...about 1/4 inch clearance. I also had to heat my inner fender and move it aside some....isn't even noticeable.

My car sits pretty low in the front and when hitting dips or bumps in the road the stock upper control arms would hit the pipe. About a year ago I bought a set of tubular control arms and finally had to put them on. There's now about 2" of space between the pipe and the control arm now. Out of pocket price was about $275... not including labor. The best part is that it required only three sections of 3.5" pipe...welded together in two spots.

3.5_inch_unfinished.JPG

3.5_inch_downpipe.JPG

3.5_inch_clearance2.jpg

3.5_inch_clearance1.JPG

3.5_inch_clearance.JPG

This was going to be the info on my 3.5'' DP's but after all the China Crap pipes started coming out at the price of $300 I said screw it I can't compete. :frown: But if anyone still wants one heres the info.

Each 304 Stainless Steel Downpipe is hand built within exacting specifications.
Each has been designed in ‘Pre-Clearance’ to optimize the fitment between A/C box and body frame clearances.
Starting with the ½” thick, laser cut hand welded flange, you will notice greater clearance at turbine housing to optimize exhaust gas flow.

No restriction.
The Downpipe is expertly welded and hand formed by professionals who are in the fabrication business using state of the art manufacturing equipment and processes here in the USA.

$865 includes shipping. These pipes are very expensive but you won't find a better one out there I guaranty it.

Let me know

Wouldn't you want that 8'' from the flange for a more accurate reading?

As I understand it, it depends on the manufacturer as per where it should be installed. I used an Innovative WB02 setup, and the directions were pretty specific on where they wanted it. FWIW, mine was placed in the last bend of the downpipe as to not over-heat it.

As I understand it, it depends on the manufacturer as per where it should be installed. I used an Innovative WB02 setup, and the directions were pretty specific on where they wanted it. FWIW, mine was placed in the last bend of the downpipe as to not over-heat it.

I gotcha. ;) I was just thinking. The insides of the DP is smooth and if the A/F mixture is rich you could be getting a wrong reading from the mixture not staying atomized with the fuel sticking to the side of the DP. Maybe I'm reading into it to much. Just a thought. :smile:

I gotcha. ;) I was just thinking. The insides of the DP is smooth and if the A/F mixture is rich you could be getting a wrong reading from the mixture not staying atomized with the fuel sticking to the side of the DP. Maybe I'm reading into it to much. Just a thought. :smile:

The only downside I see with the 02 sensor being so far down is the mixture has farther to travel to reach it. With the larger downpipe area it makes it even worse.