4 inch MAF discovery

Back from the dead.
@Eric Stage I
Hve a car with old skool 5.6
Installed 4" intake and ACD blade maf and brand new translator. Idles like crap. Installed 3.5 maf back on the end of the pipe. Idles great.
Is a new chip specifying the 4" required?

Fwiw:
This is on a buddys car

Last edited:
Back from the dead.
@Eric Stage I
Hve a car with old skool 5.6
Installed 4" intake and ACD blade maf and brand new translator. Idles like crap. Installed 3.5 maf back on the end of the pipe. Idles great.
Is a new chip specifying the 4" required?

Fwiw:
This is on a buddys car
That 4" stick sensor just wouldn't work for me regardless of the chip I used. The MAF numbers were unstable at idle and sometimes it would stall on me. I do know of one fella that uses it with success. Believe it or not he installed a 4" Tornado gizmo in the pipe down at the outlet end near the compressor. He says that cured his issues (same issues I had). He tried a few other tricks as well but only the Tornado worked. He also says the Tornado helped the car pick up a little bit, which makes me wonder.... but he's an old school racer with a lot of experience, no dummy. If he says it worked, then it worked.

translator settings? reset the ECM? BLM info?

Bob
ECM was reset. For 4": Translator 9,0 - on, on, on, off. BLM at 132. Idle hunts.
Tried rich and lean idle setting, but runs best on 9.

Without other changes: 3.5 MAF with previous translator, smooth and stable idle.

That 4" stick sensor just wouldn't work for me regardless of the chip I used. The MAF numbers were unstable at idle and sometimes it would stall on me. I do know of one fella that uses it with success.
Same scenario. Went from 3.5 to 4" and works great on my car. Never had an issue, which is why its puzzling on a car with better heads and 210 cam.

Using a 4" blade style is very inconsistent and highly dependent on intake plumbing, turbulence, etc. It works on some cars and some cars it never works. After all the trouble I've seen, I don't recommend it. You might be able to play around with intake plumbing or air filter type and see if it improves.
There's not much I can do in the chip to help it.

Using a 4" blade style is very inconsistent and highly dependent on intake plumbing, turbulence, etc. It works on some cars and some cars it never works. After all the trouble I've seen, I don't recommend it. You might be able to play around with intake plumbing or air filter type and see if it improves.
There's not much I can do in the chip to help it.
Thanks @Eric Stage I .
Based on the collective feedback I believe to have narrowed down why it works on my car and not on my buddy's.

Thanks @TurboBob & @BEATAV8

Time to let this thread RIP. Lol

I agree with Eric, feeding a 2" or so inlet with 4" piping would cause turbulence in the air flow at a minimum, and would be inconsistent over the RPM range.

Turbo HP ratings are determined by the inducer size, not the inlet plumbing.

Even a 3" MAF and piping would only give small gains near the RPM limit.

On a dyno test with a TA-49, removing the stock MAF with a 3" pipe section and changing to a SD2 chip resulted in only a 8 HP gain well over 5000 RPM.

I'm thinking of going with the ls7 card maf down the line, but I don't like the idea of no screening. In the past, removing both screens from the stock maf caused my car driveability issues to the point I had to keep one of em in. So, I'm just wondering if the same can be said with the ls7 maf?

On the spectre 9705, has anyone tried adding an airflow straightener to it? If so, which one and did you notice any improvement with it installed? I came across saxonpc.com who sells maf honeycombs with various ratios. Any thoughts as to if adding a screen would help improve it? Some guys on the ls forum seem to think so. Below is the ratio chart for saxonpc's honeycombs. Also, they can make custom sizes as well.
uploadfromtaptalk1465713870912.jpg

Last edited:
I've been running a 4 inch aluminum pipe for a while now with the 4 inch slot MAF, haven't had any issues with drivability. No screens.

IMG_4890.JPG