You can type here any text you want

aluminum driveshafts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thessman

Hey guys...

Just letting you know. I just bought a low mileage HD drive shaft off EBAY for a hundred bucks. 52" (1/2 inch longer than a GN shaft but will work fine.)
from an 08 LS2 trailblazer SS 2WD . Light weight and
the heavy trailblazer with 390 HP rating I'm sure it will hold up to my GN street car. Light weight and rotating mass. For a hundred bucks I cant see how you can go wrong.
Just order the conversion joints. See Ya Steve :)

Attachments

• P1010243.jpg
    P1010243.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 922
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 916
Now you say that it's half an inch longer but will work fine . . . Is there that much allowance in the slip yoke? Will it matter if the car is slightly lowered? And what joints are you using?

1/2 inch longer. theres still plenty of room left on the front yoke. I'll know tomorrow if the yoke that came on the new shaft will fit in my 200r4. If not I'll get the correct joints so it will fit in my GN. No biggie.

I'm just thinking I need to get my driveshaft shortened anyway to fit the 8.5" rear I'm putting in; screw it might as well upgrade and be done with it.

I'll have the part numbers for the conversion joints tomorrow. I'll post them up here just incase someone here wants to do the same . Steve :p

Hey guys...

Just letting you know. I just bought a low mileage HD drive shaft off EBAY for a hundred bucks. 52" (1/2 inch longer than a GN shaft but will work fine.)
from an 08 LS2 trailblazer SS 2WD . Light weight and
the heavy trailblazer with 390 HP rating I'm sure it will hold up to my GN street car. Light weight and rotating mass. For a hundred bucks I cant see how you can go wrong.
Just order the conversion joints. See Ya Steve :)

Steve, although it's a great idea, I wonder if it's made to withstand the abuse and handle the power of our GN's...:rolleyes:

Happy new year! :wink:

Claude. :wink:

Nice that its close to the same size, does it work under a load?

100.00 fits the bill, we need to keep this down low, under wraps, and dont let anyone know about it....

BW

I'm sure GM tests the hell out of the driveshafts before they put them into production. 390 hp LS2 in a heavy trailblazer with the 1350 joints in it.
beefy piece. I promise if I spit it out the bottom of my GN you all will be the first to know. :) If I was running a 9 second 3700 lb car I wouldnt use this.
My car is 3260 with me in it and has a fairly mild motor. Still a great car on a budget. thanks ! Steve

Attachments

• P1010063.jpg
    P1010063.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 731
subscribed.

what i would do is take the rear springs out and use a jack to put the rear axle through the suspenton sweep and see if the yoke hits the output shaft in the trans.

and see if the shaft is the same diameter as the gn shaft because if someone like me has the hooker exhaust there is a finger space at ride hight from the muffler to the shaft.

see if the ujoints are the same diameter so the gn yoke can be reused have to use a press to change the joints or a hammer will crack the aluminum.

Hey, I'm wondering how you got your car car to weigh 3260 with you in it? Al's (V8Killer) lightweight T is heavier than that and he did just about anything you could think of to lighten it...

Has anyone ever used Denny's driveshafts? They make an aluminum one for our cars that seems pretty cool. I ordered the aluminum 3.5 1350 serious with a 4130 yoke. Should be here next week :cool:

Shaft works great. No rocket science here. My car weighed 3088 before I pulled the iron heads and installed the GN1 aluminum heads. Basic stuff.
Its alot easier to pull a 60' time in a lighter car. Still has A/C full glass,interior,power seat ect... I'm going to rescale it next week. I would really like to see a 2999 weight. I dont think it will happen though.
The shaft hit the exhaust in one spot but I just scooted it over a little and was all good. See ya ! Steve :)

Has anyone ever used Denny's driveshafts? They make an aluminum one for our cars that seems pretty cool. I ordered the aluminum 3.5 1350 serious with a 4130 yoke. Should be here next week :cool:

did ya get the rear end piece so you can use 1350 bearings ????
Dennys has a very nice product line.. Used both the alumin "matrix" mid 9 street car . Mazda has a "Nitrous 3 1/2" Dennys driveshaft . "Should" run 12s :p

Back to the original thread.. Did you get it in the car yet ??? How much is the yoke sticking out the trans ??

did ya get the rear end piece so you can use 1350 bearings ????
Dennys has a very nice product line.. Used both the alumin "matrix" mid 9 street car . Mazda has a "Nitrous 3 1/2" Dennys driveshaft . "Should" run 12s :p

Back to the original thread.. Did you get it in the car yet ??? How much is the yoke sticking out the trans ??

Denny's just called me about it! After talking with him h wants me to go with the 3.5 nitrous ready piece also... so no aluminum I guess!

Back