any advantages to open rear?

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
Just curious,
Say you had a turbobuick that was just a daily driver, mostly stock, and won't ever see the track. Is there any advantages to a open rear vs. a posi? Any chances of better gas milage with the open rear? Wouldn't you'r chances of the rear not sliding, be better with non-posi when your zipping around on hilly curvy roads?

The only advantage that I found was that when you fry the tire, it's easy to maintain control of the car. Now that I have posi, when I fry the tires, it will fish tail pretty easy. It was fun with a peg leg getting on the expressway by my home, a slight incline of maybe 15 degrees, at about 40 mph, stump it and look out the rear view mirror and see one long black streak on the road and some smoke. Of course this is not good if you come up on some smart a** punk that is messing with you in there rice burner.... that's when you want the posi and the street radial slicks.

Chuck

open craziness

Hi,
The original intention a posi axle was supposed to be better traction, but I beg to differ, in certain situations. Our cars are Horrible in wet or snowy conditions.I would say,stay off the road in these circumstances. But I'll bet the open axle does better in these situations. At least ONE wheel isn't spinning like crazy.What do you guys think?

IMHO the posi is much better in the rain/snow. With the peg leg it is horrible in the rain, trying to pull out on a slight grade, posi is the only way to go on our cars.

Chuck

Just curious,
Say you had a turbobuick that was just a daily driver, mostly stock, and won't ever see the track. Is there any advantages to a open rear vs. a posi? Any chances of better gas milage with the open rear? Wouldn't you'r chances of the rear not sliding, be better with non-posi when your zipping around on hilly curvy roads?

go ahead and put a mini spool in it for your daily driving needs...

I dont think it matters much either way. The torque is equal at both axles till one starts to slip with an open diff. At that point traction is already compromised. The type of tire you are driving on would be more important in the rain or snow. Not if the diff is open or not.

I liked the "one long black streak on the road and some smoke" comment. :biggrin: funny stuff. I guess I'll just get my posi rear fixed. I was debating getting a open rear because I found one cheap, and was trying to find other plus's, besides price.
thanks for all the input.