You can type here any text you want

Anyone running solid lifters and utilize a knock detector?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WIKEDV6

Please help, this is an on center 274 cubes stage II motor with stage II heads and a street roller cam. I have heard stories about how you can't run solid lifters and trust your knock gauge to not having any issue with the combo period. I need input from the people that actually tried it.

TIA

Prasad

I've been toying with the idea of hooking up the knock sensor this next time just for testing. I understand that at higher rpm (how high, don't know) the lifter noise can start to interfere. If you're running an aftermarket ECU, you should be able to turn off the knock sensor after a certain rpm. I would figure after peak torque rpm, turn it off. Peak torque rpm is where you really need to worry about high cylinder pressures and detonation the most.

It can't hurt anything. Try it and let us know how it works out.

I've been toying with the idea of hooking up the knock sensor this next time just for testing. I understand that at higher rpm (how high, don't know) the lifter noise can start to interfere. If you're running an aftermarket ECU, you should be able to turn off the knock sensor after a certain rpm. I would figure after peak torque rpm, turn it off. Peak torque rpm is where you really need to worry about high cylinder pressures and detonation the most.

It can't hurt anything. Try it and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for your input, I have the first Gen Big stuff. This car will be driven on the street 99% of the time. I know what most of you guys are thinking, why stage heads and solid lifters on a street car, well let's just say that I have all the stuff on hand and I don't want to spend any more than what I have too. The car may see 500 street miles a year. I would like to make sure that I am not detonating at any point and at the same time not to react to false knock.

Prasad

I too am interested in knock sensor effectiveness with solid roller cams, as well as cam gear drives. I will be doing some testing when my junk gets running, but am very interested in others' experience.

Don's advice about turning off correction after peak torque is spot on with my tuning experience (not with solid roller Buicks, however:frown: ) - I'm far more interested in datalog display of knock rather than closed loop timing adjustment.

I'm also investigating tuned knock sensors (adjusted to filter out valve train/lifter noise and pass true knock signals) such as the J&S, with an interface into the ECU's knock input.

I'm far more interested in datalog display of knock rather than closed loop timing adjustment.
I'm totally with you on this one.

I'm also investigating tuned knock sensors (adjusted to filter out valve train/lifter noise and pass true knock signals) such as the J&S, with an interface into the ECU's knock input.
Let us know what you find.

happy new year people,
i can also credit don's idea, but if your running forge pistons, especially half skirts, your wasting you time.
but i dare say it would give some good data.
:)

Back