Best Converter

That is 6mph at that level , thats close to 75hp at the wheels. There had to be more than just a converter change? Maybe colder weather?
No! I was there when the car broke, and I was there and seen him thrash to repair it and I was there and saw the run! "Old converter out, new converter in" Big smile on Otto's face when he got out of the car.......:biggrin:

Not in this case because gearing stayed the same and the engine was driving through the previous converter a lot harder and it wouldnt couple effectively compared to the PTC even at over 7k. In the post i stated that the engine speed was around 6500 after the swap and mph went up. Engine speed down and mph up tells me converter is working a lot better. If he was to add more rear gear the efficiency probably would have gotten even better. I doubt this TSO engine was out of breath at 6500 rpm. The car was being propelled like a rocket up top after the swap. 147mph before and 152.9mph after the swap.
Sounds impressive. What model was his previous T/C?

That is 6mph at that level , thats close to 75hp at the wheels. There had to be more than just a converter change? Maybe colder weather?

No same weather. Air inlet temps were in the low 120's on comparative runs after the intercooler. Ive never seen such an increase with a converter change.

I think this will clear up the confusion Don.

Attachments

• Untitled-3 copy.JPG
    Untitled-3 copy.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 474
  • Untitled-1 copy.JPG
    Untitled-1 copy.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 465
  • untilled-2.JPG
    untilled-2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 493
It went from 147.11 to 151.99
the trap RPM changed from 7000 to 6450

This is Billy T's convertor,I had it freshened and sent it out to Fiscus
I just talked to Natalie and she said they would be putting it in tomorrow and shooting for running the car thursday.

I went from an Original Art Carr that I had tightened to the Dusty Spec'd PTC

Nope. Not yet.

I'm serious about pulling out the N/C for inspection. We could make a little 'get to know each other party' out of it. I need to change out the stator to a different one anyway. N/C sent me a stator that will give me a tad more stall. It's the last option before having to change to a negative angled pump. I'd rather stay away from that option. Negative angles make high stalls easier to attain, but efficiency is compromised.

I hate neg. Pumps...

What Stall Speed are you trying to aquire?
My AC 19930 is a perfect example of a Positive Fin that
stalls at 4000 RPM with 10 0r more PSI of Boost= Foot Brake
4500= Brake
You should not have a problem with NC
Good Luck

Joe

What Stall Speed are you trying to aquire?
My AC 19930 is a perfect example of a Positive Fin that
stalls at 4000 RPM with 10 0r more PSI of Boost= Foot Brake
4500= Brake
You should not have a problem with NC
Good Luck

Joe

If I could get the stall to 3200 before nitrous, the thing would be killer. I think the stator change I will be doing might get me 200 more rpm. Same fin angle, smaller window. Oh well. A little is better than nothing. With the new strategy of letting the nitrous come on with a WOT switch instead of waiting for it to come on at a particular rpm/map, the lower than optimum stall is not going to be a problem. In fact, with a three amber tree, I'm concerned that I may have too much boost built up before releasing the transbrake. I guess that's not really a big problem though.

Not in this case because gearing stayed the same and the engine was driving through the previous converter a lot harder and it wouldnt couple effectively compared to the PTC even at over 7k. In the post i stated that the engine speed was around 6500 after the swap and mph went up. Engine speed down and mph up tells me converter is working a lot better. If he was to add more rear gear the efficiency probably would have gotten even better. I doubt this TSO engine was out of breath at 6500 rpm. The car was being propelled like a rocket up top after the swap. 147mph before and 152.9mph after the swap.

Spoolup was also improved;)

Fiscus was having alternator issues yesterday. As soon as that's fixed he'll be at the track.

Nitrous and Turbocharging

You guys really need to start learning to use nitrous. Whenever you try a different turbo, exhaust headers, fianl drive and transmission gearing or change any other major tuneup item, the question always arises, "what will my turbo spoolup be like?" Then countless hours of tweaking a/r housings and T/C configurations, etc., is spent trying to get the optimum spool up from your new tuneup. With nitrous, that concern is out the window and valuable time can be spent on other aspects of your tuneup. It amazes me how slow the Buick community is at catching up to the rest of the turbocharging world. Nitrous injection and turbocharging is the perfect marriage. You really need to experience it to appreciate it better.

As commented earlier, the point at which a T/C works for a turbo application and it doesn't is a very, very fine line. And that line changes from one engine configuration to the next, requiring how many transmissions r&rs and testing and the expense of it. Nitrous does away with that. It smoothes out the small engine (off boost), big engine (on boost) dual personality that 4 cylinder and small 6 cylinders have with turbochargers. I'm aware most are scared of using nitrous, but really, there are plenty of people, even on this board that are using it with fantastic success. And I'm sure they all would bend over backwards with advise to help you all get caught up to the rest of the turbocharging world. Keep a close eye on the import crowd. They are at the cutting edge of turbocharger technology and the Buick crowd seems to muddle around with old school for painfully long periods of time. Just look at alcohol injection. Just recently did we all discover the miracle of it and it's been around for how long? WWII or earlier? Too much time and energy is wasted IMO on finding that miracle T/C that will magically work for all configurations. So much more is possible by just using a tighter, more efficient T/C and nitrous. Then the T/C setup becomes so much less important. Nitrous does away with the 'latest flavor of the day T/C' that is so prevalent on this board.

don your use of nitrous to spool the turbo is very effective and allows a tight converter to be used without sacrificing starting line rpm or big end coupling efficiency.we use a dry 50 or 75 shot into the intake manifold to do this as well.(and turn in on again up top if theres enough fuel)the use of shutting off converter charge oil during staging also reduces spool up time although it has not been perfected and is still under development here.alot of classes dont allow 2 power adders and i think this poses a problem for class racers,as well as the usual fear of the unknown from poorly informed racers.

Well said Chris. It's just so frustrating to see people spending so much time and energy on T/Cs when the easier answer is right in front of their noses. A .4 second shot of nitrous is all that's needed and a 10 pound bottle will last through most of the season. The T/C manufacturers must love you guys.

I would love tou use nitrous, but its illegal here in Canada if you drive on the street with it in the vehicle, $2000 fine and /or 6 months in jail. Even having solenoids and hoses there could be a potential for huge fines.

Well then, I feel for you, you're just missing out. You guys are making the T/C manufacturers crazy or rich, or both. The reason why other people in the turbo community are making so much progress is because they're not stuck on T/Cs. Think about it.