Best Converter

What part number is that converter Clayton? I will be shopping for a new one for my car soon enough. What rpm do you see at 60mph or so? I don't want to give up the lockup too badly but....

There is no particular # that works in every car. Each unit is spec'd for your set-up.

The A/C unit was last year. The PTC is the first run this year, plus I have a new engine management and I haven't had any tuning time on it yet.

ET's for both the A/C and PTC were 10.4's, and 60' times for both were 1.46.

Also, the tranny is only shifting @ 5100 rpm so I am not even in my powerband yet. I need to tweak the govenor to get the shift rpm up into the 5700 -5800 range which is where I was shifting with the A/C.

There's lots of power left with this combo, so I'm interested to see what it can do with this converter.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Chris,
Yes.
Kenny Ford is a former TCI guy and I believe started PTC.

I've been recommending PTC on several sites for years. You can't beat their converters for quality and price IMO.
I've also been recommending Edge lately. They seem to work extremely well.

Neither are the cheapest converter you can buy but pricing is very reasonable for what you get in terms of quality and customer service.

PTC got my vote when they took care of me after BTE screwed up and missed the requested stall for my mild 427 BBC by 1000 rpm a few yrs ago.
BTE couldn't even hit the stall on a 425 HP 427, car slowed down using the $380 BTE piece. It was faster with a $99 Summit 2200 converter. :mad:
I requested a 3400-3600 flash and got a 4500 flash setup and they wanted FULL price on a restall and "Bubba" was a dick on the phone.

I told BTE then, that it would cost them 100 times in sales what that one converter cost. As far as they knew I was just another customer, not a guy who gives advice on several internet forums and builds a few transmissons ;)

When Steve Oldani (the dealer) called them and told them I was pissed, their tune changed. Too late after I experienced their customer service.

I figure I'm at least halfway there on meeting my goal of costing them converter sales.

Every customer of mine who has used PTC has been very happy AFAIK.

I guess I should call them about being a dealer since I've probably sold a few converters for them. :D

Well, I used the t/c slip calculator on the TCI site. I have to say, I really liked the answer, but it's not accurate. No tire growth variable.

The answer was 4.51% for a N/C. There you go. Damn good sales tool.

What is the tire growth percentage variable that you're using in your T/C slippage calculation?

You need to understand that if your calculator does not include a tire growth percentage variable, you will not get a true T/C slippage answer. It will be fine for comparing one T/C to the next if using the same calculator, but if a person is comparing an answer where tire growth percentage was used to another where it was not used, you will not have a true comparison. An answer where tire growth was not taken into consideration will be artificially low.

I understand completely. Most of the guys I have seen reference slip % are using the TCI calculator. So, as you mentioned, it may not be totally accurate, but it works as a comparision tool. I have used it to compare all of the different converters I have used and the various"re-stalls" when I had them changed.

So in my case it's accurate enough to tell me there's a huge difference, and the Art Carr was not right for my setup and the PTC is a much better choice.

True, but if someone is using those numbers as a sales tool, promising the same slip number when used in a different car that may have a different tire construction and growth characteristic, I just feel it's a little misleading. I hope you see my point. Most converter manufacturers will use more accurate slip numbers than your TCI calculator and it can be misleading for a new buyer.

On a side note,You can almost buy 2 PTC weld togethers for hte price of a Neil chance and 3 PTC weld togethers to 1 bolt together.

I agree Neil Chance is a great peice ALSO.
But from what i have seen it wont out perform a PTC at almost double the price

Don,PTC also sells a bolt together for those that feel they need that tunabilty

On a side note,You can almost buy 2 PTC weld togethers for hte price of a Neil chance and 3 PTC weld togethers to 1 bolt together.

I agree Neil Chance is a great peice ALSO.
But from what i have seen it wont out perform a PTC at almost double the price

Don,PTC also sells a bolt together for those that feel they need that tunabilty

Actually, I not in the market for a T/C. My setup has been decided. The reason I won't class race is because of the limiting factor of one power adder. There are a lot of rule makers that just have to handicap the turbo guy. If I wanted to class race, I would need to go bigger cubes to make a T/C work with my setup without nitrous. I'm not prepared to go through that expense. Besides, I enjoy the challenge to make this small stroker work like a bigger cube V6. It just erks me when people start quoting numbers to sell me, or the unsuspecting new buyer, a T/C that aren't accurate. I don't mind people giving me figures to sell me on something, but they had better be accurate.

If you're so sure a PTC will work in my small cube, small stroke application, put your money where your mouth is. Lend me an example, I'll provide all the labor, and I'll try it. It's much harder of a match than you know, as I'm sure Dusty realizes.

Im not trying to sell anything,Just making points from my own exp

The PTC convertor spooled a non BB 80 mm real fast with 276 cubes

I understand completely. Most of the guys I have seen reference slip % are using the TCI calculator. So, as you mentioned, it may not be totally accurate, but it works as a comparision tool. I have used it to compare all of the different converters I have used and the various"re-stalls" when I had them changed.

So in my case it's accurate enough to tell me there's a huge difference, and the Art Carr was not right for my setup and the PTC is a much better choice.

Most guys use their trap mph when checking converter slip. This is not accurate either since the car will be going a few mph or more faster depending on how fast the car is on a full pass since the trap mph is an average over the last 60 ft. If a drag radialed car came up with 5% using the TCI calc and trap speed as the mph the actual is really less than 5%.

Otto's slip numbers were very accurate since he was using driveshaft speed vs. engine speed.

Presently, I'm having to spool a 76mm, soon to be 80mm, with 224 cubic inches. A T/C manufacturers nightmare.

Racers in heads up classes use all tools available to them. 2-step, 3-step, timing and a/f adjustments...to get a decent spool. It's not unusual to see Outlaw 10.5 cars capable of 3000hp now with twins. There are a couple reasons the big power guys made the switch to big blocks. The first was reliability but the other benefit is to help the car build boost and compete with 870ci nitrous motors. It's pretty much impossible to make a converter to spool twin 91's and be able to transfer the power when limited to 450 or less inches. That's another example of building an entire combo that will work together to meet your goals.

Actually, I not in the market for a T/C. My setup has been decided. The reason I won't class race is because of the limiting factor of one power adder. There are a lot of rule makers that just have to handicap the turbo guy. If I wanted to class race, I would need to go bigger cubes to make a T/C work with my setup without nitrous. I'm not prepared to go through that expense. Besides, I enjoy the challenge to make this small stroker work like a bigger cube V6. It just erks me when people start quoting numbers to sell me, or the unsuspecting new buyer, a T/C that aren't accurate. I don't mind people giving me figures to sell me on something, but they had better be accurate.

If you're so sure a PTC will work in my small cube, small stroke application, put your money where your mouth is. Lend me an example, I'll provide all the labor, and I'll try it. It's much harder of a match than you know, as I'm sure Dusty realizes.

I can all but assure you Otto won't put anything where his mouth is. I wouldn't be surprized to see Dusty send something out though. He does seem to have a pretty good thing going with these PTC's and some happy customers.

Otto's slip numbers were very accurate since he was using driveshaft speed vs. engine speed.

The most accurate number would be engine speed vs. driveshaft speed. Taking mph, tire size and growth completely out of the equation. In fact, it is best to setup your data acquisition modules to use engine speed vs. driveshaft speed to determine converter or clutch slippage.

Presently, I'm having to spool a 76mm, soon to be 80mm, with 224 cubic inches. A T/C manufacturers nightmare.

What version 76?? What rpm range do you run the motor in?

Don't you run the car on alky or something as well? There is a lot to spoolup just in the tune up as well. Compression, timing, a/f all play a major role when you get down to sorting out a tricky converter situation.

224 and an 80mm is no doubt difficult.