You can type here any text you want

Best Converter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
BTW, those budget converters which are becoming popular in TSM and TSO combinations have the same internals as the one that went back to back 4.4's this past weekend. Nothing budget about it...I guess we could double the price so everyone thinks it's a superior product.

Popular that's great how many records have they set in TSO and TSM or are they just falling short?:rolleyes:

Popular that's great how many records have they set in TSO and TSM or are they just falling short?:rolleyes:

The 9.5 was just introduced to the buick guys late last year. I have no control over how serious someone wants to get...If someone expresses interest in one of their converters, I give them the specs for it to work with their combo.

When will you be returning to back up your numbers?

Dusty. You're a smart fellow and I do greatly appreciate and respect the help you've extended. If you have any other tuning ideas, please shoot them past me. I think I've tried everything over the last 6 years, but I may have overlooked something.

If the internals of the PTC impress me, believe me, I'd be the first to say you have a fantastic deal going on there. But, I'm a difficult critic when it comes to design and craftmanship.

I've seen the Chance, they are a great piece..no doubt. I see them broken apart almost every weekend. Lynch had his broke apart making some changes when I saw them at the last race. I haven't paid much attention to the insides of them without fluid on them to compare the two units. I can say, the outside of them straight out of the box...the Chance gets the nod as it looks like it's on display at PRI. Things like that are not what I'm after....if I were I'd have my rods airbrushed for the wow factor.

They are both proven to put the power down and stand the abuse behind big power...more than any Buick will ever be able to make.

I've seen the Chance, they are a great piece..no doubt. I see them broken apart almost every weekend. Lynch had his broke apart making some changes when I saw them at the last race. I haven't paid much attention to the insides of them without fluid on them to compare the two units. I can say, the outside of them straight out of the box...the Chance gets the nod as it looks like it's on display at PRI. Things like that are not what I'm after....if I were I'd have my rods airbrushed for the wow factor.

They are both proven to put the power down and stand the abuse behind big power...more than any Buick will ever be able to make.

I've never been impressed by the outside of a T/C and never will be. It's the insides that's important. Take the time to check it out more closely next time. You'll find some interesting features. Some that I've never seen before in any other. They addressed some inherant weak points of a racing T/C very well.

The 9.5 was just introduced to the buick guys late last year. I have no control over how serious someone wants to get...If someone expresses interest in one of their converters, I give them the specs for it to work with their combo.

When will you be returning to back up your numbers?

The only "backing up" I have to do is if I line up next to you in fear of your car crossing the line and taking me out.:eek:

Good idea. So it's VSC but controlled by the GEN7. You can run a very tight converter and not worry about spoolup. I still think it's not required to have something like this until you get into the thumper sized or large twin turbo combos on the V6.

No its not VSC. VSC is F&B performance. The letter that their attorney sent me months ago was very clear on the term VSC. Concept of increased stall is same.

The only "backing up" I have to do is if I line up next to you in fear of your car crossing the line and taking me out.:eek:

HAHA. I don't bracket race. Even when you borrow the old twin turbo car you'd still be too far behind me to worry about that. I have to stay in front...that way when you pull the fire system from an exhaust back fire I won't get caught in the smoke.

No its not VSC. VSC is F&B performance. The letter that their attorney sent me months ago was very clear on the term VSC. Concept of increased stall is same.

Sounds bad ass either way. We're going to try this PTC in Fiscus' car without VSC but if he steps up to a thumper sized turbo, I bet he'll end up using it.

HAHA. I don't bracket race. Even when you borrow the old twin turbo car you'd still be too far behind me to worry about that. I have to stay in front...that way when you pull the fire system from an exhaust back fire I won't get caught in the smoke.

Hmm we have been 8.20's with that car on a 5 year old DLS engine build. How long did your V8 last?? Better get back on the phone with Don Baily 8.30's are lack luster for a turbo V8.:rolleyes:

Outrunning little V6 isn't a way to stroke your ego. :rolleyes:

Outrunning little V6 isn't a way to stroke your ego. :rolleyes:

Better read again Ted. I was replying to Dave stroking his..as usual.

Another thread polluted by the twins

Dave 110 passes in a few months...Then I decided to swap heads.

8.20's in cool MI air...you were way off pace in BG......gotta compare track to track remember. And you're still benchracing someone else's car..get back with me when you have something.

I've never been impressed by the outside of a T/C and never will be. It's the insides that's important. Take the time to check it out more closely next time. You'll find some interesting features. Some that I've never seen before in any other. They addressed some inherant weak points of a racing T/C very well.

I agree 100% Don. I have inspected my unit and I would like to see one of these PTC units in pieces to clear up the rumor that they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts thrown in a converter. I find it hard to believe a off the shelf part will live long running 4.40 1/8th mile ET's.

Somehow I don't think there will ever be closure to which is better, so each to their own.

Where do the ATI units rank in comparison to the PTC, aren't they price comparable?

I agree 100% Don. I have inspected my unit and I would like to see one of these PTC units in pieces to clear up the rumor that they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts thrown in a converter. I find it hard to believe a off the shelf part will live long running 4.40 1/8th mile ET's.

Somehow I don't think there will ever be closure to which is better, so each to their own.

Where do the ATI units rank in comparison to the PTC, aren't they price comparable?

Did you actually here a rumor the PTC's were thrown together from off the shelf parts? What exactly are you referring to by "off the shelf"?

Just some more info to add to this thread. The 9.5 that I spec for the Buick guys has the exact same internals as the converter that goes 4.40's. We use the same converter with a custom stator with varying stator specs to work with the V6. You won't see anyone at the Buick races breaking one of these units. The only exception is I still use a 3 bolt pattern to work with the flexplate, these extreme duties use 6 bolt pattern.

Another PTC bolt together set the Limited Street mph record with a 4.86 at 164mph lap on a true 29.5x10.5. Don't let the price fool you.

Did you actually here a rumor the PTC's were thrown together from off the shelf parts? What exactly are you referring to by "off the shelf"?

Just some more info to add to this thread. The 9.5 that I spec for the Buick guys has the exact same internals as the converter that goes 4.40's. We use the same converter with a custom stator with varying stator specs to work with the V6. You won't see anyone at the Buick races breaking one of these units. The only exception is I still use a 3 bolt pattern to work with the flexplate, these extreme duties use 6 bolt pattern.

Another PTC bolt together set the Limited Street mph record with a 4.86 at 164mph lap on a true 29.5x10.5. Don't let the price fool you.

I heard months ago that the parts used in the PTC's were the same old parts off the shelf you would expect in any low dollar converter. It sounds like it may not be accurate rumor for sure. Thanks for the response, I don't doubt your knowledge on the PTC units. I would give one of these units a try if anybody is on the fence about it, It doesn't look like you have anything to lose.

Better read again Ted. I was replying to Dave stroking his..as usual.

Another thread polluted by the twins

Dave 110 passes in a few months...Then I decided to swap heads.

8.20's in cool MI air...you were way off pace in BG......gotta compare track to track remember. And you're still benchracing someone else's car..get back with me when you have something.

How is it running with the new heads any quicker?

The 8.20 was at BG a few years ago.

I thought you were building a TSM car to put me on the trailer...did you run out of talent or money.

Take your V8 stuff to another board maybe it will impress them, you are still slower than a turbo V6.

I heard months ago that the parts used in the PTC's were the same old parts off the shelf you would expect in any low dollar converter. It sounds like it may not be accurate rumor for sure. Thanks for the response, I don't doubt your knowledge on the PTC units. I would give one of these units a try if anybody is on the fence about it, It doesn't look like you have anything to lose.

I'm sure in the lower cost units they are off the shelf pieces. PTC sells a 12" converter for $140, you can be sure that is a mostly stock re-stalled converter.

However when you get into the "real" converters like Dusty is speaking of, it is obvious they are competitive by the ET's, efficiency, and reliability already posted here.

There are lots of good converter companies. Most of my customer base runs NA cars, so my knowledge of what is required on a turbo'd car is limited and until recent posts here I wasn't aware PTC was also able to build a good turbo converter, but it seems to be the case.

All the more reason to keep recommending the PTC stuff.

Nothing wrong with an ATI, Coan, Chance, or other good converter. Each company has a loyal following, and there is a reason for it.

I would like to see the insides of both the PTC and Chance setups.

Back