You can type here any text you want

Best Converter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
True Test

The way I see this. You would have to take an engine from the Dyno, put it in the car. Do another RWHP Dyno test. Calculate the HP loss. Because I run a AC on my Buick and the ATI on my BBC. I have to say that the ATI is hard to beat.
To each his own..
I would have think long and hard if I will go with a 400 on the Buick and choose right the first time.

I heard months ago that the parts used in the PTC's were the same old parts off the shelf you would expect in any low dollar converter. It sounds like it may not be accurate rumor for sure. Thanks for the response, I don't doubt your knowledge on the PTC units. I would give one of these units a try if anybody is on the fence about it, It doesn't look like you have anything to lose.

This is certainly the case in the street converters. They use oem parts like many others. The fact is, a lot of other companies use the same oem stators and play with the pump to try and suit the stall needs, even in their race converters in which case you are paying $1000 for a $500 converter. The 9.5 and 10" units that are for racing use a hand built stator with a certain pump angle to get the desired spool and efficiency. Thanks for your cival conversation and questions.

Ted A.;1644413I would like to see one of these PTC units in pieces to clear up the rumor that they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts thrown in a converter. [/QUOTE said:
I guess Neil Chance doesnt use shelves at his facilty,
His convertors may use "Out of the showcase parts":rolleyes:

Jason White uses one in TSM and has run within 10ths and MPH with NON Ported heads.

Of all the parts i Broke,The PTC convertor wasnt one of them:biggrin:

In my TSS car I had a 10" n/l that was the early version of the 9.5 race unit now offered. It was a stock motor, JE pistons, ported stock heads, flat tappet 212, TA-64, stock location intercooler.

It took me 5 tries back in 2001 to get the right set-up. I tried several other companies that sold Buick converters before I approached PTC wanting something different. We tried a couple 9" set-ups and 3-10" combos before finally finding the right set-up. This was then moved into the 9.5 housing and is what is offered today.

What did it end up stalling at on the footbrake and 0psi? My current converter was tightened up and it stalls at 3000rpm at 0psi. Unfortunately the car is making more power now and is driving through it past 1st gear.

The way I see this. You would have to take an engine from the Dyno, put it in the car. Do another RWHP Dyno test. Calculate the HP loss. Because I run a AC on my Buick and the ATI on my BBC. I have to say that the ATI is hard to beat.
To each his own..
I would have think long and hard if I will go with a 400 on the Buick and choose right the first time.

This wouldnt ell you much about how it would perform on the steet/strip other than the efficiency. Lower slip will be more hp at the wheels. Spooling abilities and rpm drop on shifts need to be looked at as well as the efficiency up top. Getting all this in one converter is not that easy.

How is it running with the new heads any quicker?

The 8.20 was at BG a few years ago.

I thought you were building a TSM car to put me on the trailer...did you run out of talent or money.

Take your V8 stuff to another board maybe it will impress them, you are still slower than a turbo V6.

You know my issues with headgaskets...Don and I will get over this hump soon. It has equaled my best mph 137 on 8# less boost after 5 passes.

Again, way off pace (.5 second or so) when I was in BG with a car you had been racing for years. I had 3 months of run time when I came to BG. Don't you remember passing me on Scottsville Road a few minutes after the 8.3 pass? I built a streetable, low 8 second car for what it cost to build a top running TSM car. I wouldn't waste my time or money to load you on the trailer. Your not worth the effort.

I'm also slower than the Gallina's, Duttweiler and several other V6's. I didn't expect to set records with a mild street engine.

What did it end up stalling at on the footbrake and 0psi? My current converter was tightened up and it stalls at 3000rpm at 0psi. Unfortunately the car is making more power now and is driving through it past 1st gear.

I don't have the old directscan files to look at but I remember leaving around 12# of boost at 4100rpm or so on the footbrake. 5# would be around 3400-3600.

BTW, those budget converters which are becoming popular in TSM and TSO combinations have the same internals as the one that went back to back 4.4's this past weekend. Nothing budget about it...I guess we could double the price so everyone thinks it's a superior product.

Dusty You must understand,If PTC is not endorsed by ****, These 2 guys wont use them

I guess Neil Chance doesnt use shelves at his facilty,
His convertors may use "Out of the showcase parts":rolleyes:

Jason White uses one in TSM and has run within 10ths and MPH with NON Ported heads.

Of all the parts i Broke,The PTC convertor wasnt one of them:biggrin:

Otto, Dusty did a great job of handling the questions asked, but now to go off on a tangent and answer your question as honestly as possible. I have never been to Neil Chances facility so he may have cabinets from a rinky-dink cabinet guy for his parts, or shelves, or perhaps you are correct and he has a showcase. Who cares? :confused:

I heard some rumors about PTC, after hearing the numbers some thrown down it is clear they are not junk.

I am unaware of Jasons buildup, his car hauls the mail whatever he has done that's for sure.

BTW, I think it was pretty cool of Billy T. to loan out his converter.

Here are my results after going to a PTC. I was using another "brand name" converter. First time out with this brand name converter I blew right through it. I was told by the company they missed the set up. It was tightened up and again it was still way too loose. It was tighten yet again but now took way too long to come up on boost, yet still slipped 13% on the big end. At that time I wanted to try another company but they wanted to try a completely new converter for me to try. I figured well at least they are trying so what the heck. I gave it another try. Spooled great but 18% slippage up top :( By the way the slip % numbers that Im getting are coming directly from my DS sensor data logger.) At this time I was refunded most of my $. I then tried another Brand company who I gave all my data and they used all their tech math and said they "gaurenteed" me no more than 8% slip up top. Long story short spool up was good but 22% slip up top...So much for all the tech math he used...That unit was returned as well. Being very frustrated. I spoke to Dusty about the PTC as well as a buddy of mine that competes in the drag radial classes and is using a PTC as well, ( hes run a best of 7.99) and said trust me you wont regret it. Dusty said I believe we can get you a unit that will work well also. Needless to say I tried the PTC and I was shocked. I picked up 4.5-5 mph and went through the traps 550-600 rpm less. Data log showed 4% slippage!!! I also ran my best 60' time.
Just posting my results. Hope that helps someone.

Otto, Dusty did a great job of handling the questions asked, but now to go off on a tangent and answer your question as honestly as possible. I have never been to Neil Chances facility so he may have cabinets from a rinky-dink cabinet guy for his parts, or shelves, or perhaps you are correct and he has a showcase. Who cares? :confused:

I heard some rumors about PTC, after hearing the numbers some thrown down it is clear they are not junk.

I am unaware of Jasons buildup, his car hauls the mail whatever he has done that's for sure.

BTW, I think it was pretty cool of Billy T. to loan out his converter.

Jason and Roy/Laz were the first TSM guys to try the 9.5. Jason has ran 143 or so with a hyrdraulic cam. We will be trying something else soon since we've learned a few things from early testing. Dick K has a bolt together unit that has yet to be run. We tried swapping stators in BG but had an issue with clearance so he left the Pro-torque in the car. He wants to wait until myself and Chris Hogeland are around before testing it again.

Here are my results after going to a PTC. I was using another "brand name" converter. First time out with this brand name converter I blew right through it. I was told by the company they missed the set up. It was tightened up and again it was still way too loose. It was tighten yet again but now took way too long to come up on boost, yet still slipped 13% on the big end. At that time I wanted to try another company but they wanted to try a completely new converter for me to try. I figured well at least they are trying so what the heck. I gave it another try. Spooled great but 18% slippage up top :( By the way the slip % numbers that Im getting are coming directly from my DS sensor data logger.) At this time I was refunded most of my $. I then tried another Brand company who I gave all my data and they used all their tech math and said they "gaurenteed" me no more than 8% slip up top. Long story short spool up was good but 22% slip up top...So much for all the tech math he used...That unit was returned as well. Being very frustrated. I spoke to Dusty about the PTC as well as a buddy of mine that competes in the drag radial classes and is using a PTC as well, ( hes run a best of 7.99) and said trust me you wont regret it. Dusty said I believe we can get you a unit that will work well also. Needless to say I tried the PTC and I was shocked. I picked up 4.5-5 mph and went through the traps 550-600 rpm less. Data log showed 4% slippage!!! I also ran my best 60' time.
Just posting my results. Hope that helps someone.

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear this kind of news.

Where do the ATI units rank in comparison to the PTC, aren't they price comparable?

Ted,
I cant comment on the PTC units as I have no experience with them but the ATI converters are real tough to beat in a Buick V6. They are proven winners in multiple classes, deadly consistant and very reasonably priced compared to other converters of much lesser quality. I have several different units on the shelf I am willing to let you try one when you are ready. I am sure you wont be disappointed. For the record, ATI uses all brand new components, even the front and rear case, no used or recycled parts.

Ted,
I cant comment on the PTC units as I have no experience with them but the ATI converters are real tough to beat in a Buick V6. They are proven winners in multiple classes, deadly consistant and very reasonably priced compared to other converters of much lesser quality. I have several different units on the shelf I am willing to let you try one when you are ready. I am sure you wont be disappointed. For the record, ATI uses all brand new components, even the front and rear case, no used or recycled parts.

Bill,

I have one question, since you are pushing ATI converters are you a supporting vendor on this board?:biggrin:

Back