You can type here any text you want

Best Converter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Otto,

One question for you. What the Fuk have you EVER done in the Buick community besides blow up YOUR car and EVERY other one you come in contact with?

Otto's is the latest member of the "Internet Jack Off" club

Dave maybe your posts would be so off base if you posted them before you hit the nightly 8 ball.

CHILL OUT GUYS!!! DO NOT POST ANYMORE PERSONAL ATTACKS IN THIS THREAD!!!

It has gone far enough off course. I do not want to close this thread but we will if this continues. Please for the members trying to learn something don't cause that.

The only thing that i don;t like about the ptc converters is that there is no drain plug? Any reason for not having one?

I usually drain mine by letting it sit snout down overnight. I'll put a couple wooden strips across a container and sit the converter on the strips so the fluid will run out of the converter overnight. There's really no good way to clean one though without a flush or cutting it apart. Changing fluid is one thing but if you suspect metal contamination it needs to be cut apart and cleaned.

The only thing that i don;t like about the ptc converters is that there is no drain plug? Any reason for not having one?

Alot of converters are this way. I don't know why. Very simple mod the manufacturer could do.

My E4OD for the Powerstroke had one. Then I got a Suncoast and didn't have:frown:

Dusty, was one installed in my converter when Otto sent it back?

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I agree. I have been in talks with admin about vendor status already so I can jump in threads;)

It cost me some $$$$ today but I have re-negotiated a price with PTC to become WD and have spoken with 2 of the 3 well known vendors on this site to distribute PTC products as well.

Way to go. You're a good addition to the list of vendors.

Drain plugs are convenient, until you run into a problem with some bad threads. Potential source for a leak also. There's enough of those with an automatic transmission already.

Alot of converters are this way. I don't know why. Very simple mod the manufacturer could do.

My E4OD for the Powerstroke had one. Then I got a Suncoast and didn't have:frown:

Dusty, was one installed in my converter when Otto sent it back?

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

No, we did not put a bung in it. It's really a false sense of security. You can drain the fluid with it but the stuff you really need to get out will not come out with a drain. I'd like to know how the manufacturer's utilize the drain. I'd guess it's for some sort of flush.

No, we did not put a bung in it. It's really a false sense of security. You can drain the fluid with it but the stuff you really need to get out will not come out with a drain. I'd like to know how the manufacturer's utilize the drain. I'd guess it's for some sort of flush.

Ford vehicles are more known for having drain plugs in their T/Cs than any other. One good reason could be how sensitive they can be to fluid quality. Particularly certain transmission models such as the 4R70W and AODE. It makes for a much quicker fluid change, rather than having to go through a commercial type flushing procedure.

Some AODE and 4R70W can develop converter clutch engagement and disengagement chatter when the fluid quality goes south. A complete fluid change can remedy the situation in some cases.

I agree. I have been in talks with admin about vendor status already so I can jump in threads;)

It cost me some $$$$ today but I have re-negotiated a price with PTC to become WD and have spoken with 2 of the 3 well known vendors on this site to distribute PTC products as well.

If the GT67wheels were not on back order your check would already be in the mail.

I'd have to agree with Dusty on the plug. I wouldn't want one. If there is cause to have it "flushed" I would want it disassembled and cleaned... Leaving it turned over does about as much good IMO!

The other option is a bolt together!

On Topic

I have used PTC convertors for years and have recommended them to all of my transmission customers. Never had any issues with Kenny or Lane at PTC. They always do good work and are straight shooters when you discuss convertors.

When I swapped to a TH400 I used one of their "Off the Shelf" 9" convertors and after a restall it worked well. I ran a best of 9.70 with it at 139 mph at 64-6500 rpm. After that run, I was pushing the car pretty hard and I knew there had to be more in the setup. After talking with Dusty about my setup and what he had been working on at PTC I decided to swap convertors. Dusty confidently stated to me that if it didn't work like I wanted they would take it back and make it right. With Dusty and PTC's help, I got a convertor that did everything I was looking for consistant 142-143 mph. I went 9.57 at 143 at BG in the heat crossing the line at 6050 rpm.

If you don't know my setup, I will tell you it is VERY budget minded... :eek:

Small hydraulic cam, unported 8 bolt GN1 heads, and a DLS stroker, and Hartline tune. I credit my times and mph to the people who have helped me in the past year to get me where I am: Don Cruz, Dan Strezo, Cal Hartline, Dusty Bradford, Lonnie Diers, and Laz.

Next year, I am going to step up my platform and actually spend some $$ to go for the record along with my PTC convertor..

I have used PTC convertors for years and have recommended them to all of my transmission customers. Never had any issues with Kenny or Lane at PTC. They always do good work and are straight shooters when you discuss convertors.

When I swapped to a TH400 I used one of their "Off the Shelf" 9" convertors and after a restall it worked well. I ran a best of 9.70 with it at 139 mph at 64-6500 rpm. After that run, I was pushing the car pretty hard and I knew there had to be more in the setup. After talking with Dusty about my setup and what he had been working on at PTC I decided to swap convertors. Dusty confidently stated to me that if it didn't work like I wanted they would take it back and make it right. With Dusty and PTC's help, I got a convertor that did everything I was looking for consistant 142-143 mph. I went 9.57 at 143 at BG in the heat crossing the line at 6050 rpm.

If you don't know my setup, I will tell you it is VERY budget minded... :eek:

Small hydraulic cam, unported 8 bolt GN1 heads, and a DLS stroker, and Hartline tune. I credit my times and mph to the people who have helped me in the past year to get me where I am: Don Cruz, Dan Strezo, Cal Hartline, Dusty Bradford, Lonnie Diers, and Laz.

Next year, I am going to step up my platform and actually spend some $$ to go for the record along with my PTC convertor..

Call me when you get a chance. Home or cell;)

Why do you make me the bad guy?

I am starting to get really upset with how we as a group are treating each other.
If the insults and trolling continue I will give out fully paid vacations to the offenders.
Just like everyone else I come on here for fun, to meet people and to learn something.
I now get anxiety seeing people's posts before I even read them because I know there is going to be a problem.

Now for something that resembles an on subject post.
Between Chris and I we have used the following converters.

-Stock D5 duh, IMO even with a mild upgrade it felt like it was holding us back.PT-44 and PT52

-re stallled d-5 "orange stripe", really not worth the effort of putting it in IMO unless you are looking for a stock replacement.
We blew one up in a car that traps in the 117MPH range.

-Real Art Carr 16930, I really loved this converter. It was in my 11 second combination to my 'TSM Style" combination.
It went around 138MPH @ 5000 plus feet in Idaho GN's car.
I felt like it slipped a little too much in my street car but it was fun to drive and has never failed.

-ATI Pro Mod, This converter never worked in Chris's car with either the Duttweiler V6 or the Duttweiler V8.
It was not specified by a vendor we worked with ATI directly.
It was recently sold to a friend with a single turbo sbc and he blew it up with out ever going WOT.
He was tunning the spool with the BS3 and the convert blew and took out the t400.
-To be fair Bill Anderson seems to have a good handle on these!

-Neil Chance Pro Mod Bolt together - It is a thing of beauty.
Job Spetter Jr. specified out unit and it was too tight, but we noticed
a dramatic increase in efficiency. We worked with Marty Chance and got the
aluminum light weight cover and additional stators.
With some tweaking it has been working very well.
Marty wants Chris to try a new pump in the unit this year.
Chris has almost $3k in this converter.

-9/11 Type units we have had in a couple cars.
They worked ok and it was nice to retain the lock up feature on a street car, but when not locking they were loose.
I think we had one of them fail but there have been so many I can not remember.

-Vigilante I have no first hand experience so I have no comment

-Yank I have no first hand experience so I have no comment

-Pat's I have no first hand experience so I have no comment

-PTC I have no first hand experience so I have no comment yet...

On the 9/11 I have a L/U 3600 I went 129mph. I think under 700hp it is hard to beat!

I only have 2 passes on the PTC, both were today. It was 5650 thru the traps on both passes, @ 129+ and only 5650 rpm.

Based on the TCI calculator, the AC is 17% slippage and the PTC is 6%......that is quite a difference...:cool:[/QUOTE]

Hey Clayton you have me a little worried here I thought you recomended our local vender steve at TCS are they not putting out a great product anymore??

mike

I only have 2 passes on the PTC, both were today. It was 5650 thru the traps on both passes, @ 129+ and only 5650 rpm.

Based on the TCI calculator, the AC is 17% slippage and the PTC is 6%......that is quite a difference...:cool:

Hey Clayton you have me a little worried here I thought you recomended our local vender steve at TCS are they not putting out a great product anymore??

mike[/QUOTE]

You went with someone else's converter despite the recommendation didn't you ? :confused:

Steve @ TCS builds a nice l/u converter as several local guys who race their cars will attest to.

I still have mine, and would consider another one for my T if I was in the market for it. I chose to go non-lock for various reasons.

I've tried tons of new things over the years. All my testing means the rest of the local guys benefit from my mistakes. But it only helps if they listen....;)

A Neil Chance just got it done BIG TIME with more to go on a friends car tonight...I am speechless.:eek:

Bought converters from Kenny at PTC years ago. Good people to deal with they just could not get it them right for me. Looks like they are doing a little better now. Did not know they were building hand built steel stators. Guess they have stepped up the program. I am buying custom made Bradco units looking for cheep converter. Since no one has asked. How much are these converters? Do they have billet back or ring mount? Warranty? If they miss the stall how much to re-stall? Diode or solid hub?

A Neil Chance just got it done BIG TIME with more to go on a friends car tonight...I am speechless.:eek:

I really hope that was Ted with a change of luck.
It would be great for him to start his own thread to tell us the great news!

Back