You can type here any text you want

BEST way to GO—3in/4in or 4in with built in sensor Using Translator Plus

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

agteacher

Life is GREAT!!
BEST way to GO—3in/4in or 4in with built in sensor Using Translator Plus:

We have a NEW Translator Plus with a 3.5 MAF…not install yet!!!
Installed in car is a Commander chip with stock MAF on a 3in pipe to tubro and on other side of stock MAF is a 4in cold air kit to front bumper..

Here is my Question: Which is the best way to go when we install the T-Plus with 3.5 MAF???

A---keep the 3in pipe and Commander chip
B---NEW 4in pipe and Commander chip
-------------------------------------
C---new Extender Extreme chip and keep the 3in pipe
D---new Extender Extreme chip and NEW 4in pipe
-------------------------------------
OR don’t use 3.5in MAF
E---new Extender Extreme chip and NEW 4in MAF pipe/built-in MAF sensor and updated chip for T-Plus

THANKS for the advice/info.

:cool: You want to be talked into E, that is a nice all in one 4" pipe w/sensor.

I have the 4" pipe with sensor, regular translator, and TT & EE chips. Car does spool faster now; than when it went a 10.15 ET @ 21/22 pds. of boost though a OEM maf sensor.:D

F. Get the maft pro and completely eliminate the maf sensor.

John :smile:

Use what you already have! Nothing wrong with using the LS1 MAF with the T+. You didn't mention if your turbo has a 4" inlet. If not, then just use a 3.5" MAF pipe.

Te-44 turbo....later Te-60

Use what you already have! Nothing wrong with using the LS1 MAF with the T+. You didn't mention if your turbo has a 4" inlet. If not, then just use a 3.5" MAF pipe.

3in inlet on the turbos....
Don't know if we(me and my students) are READY for the "T-Pro" setup YET. We are still learning to tune.....small steps 1st!!!!!
THANKS for the replys

Any one of those combos will work just fine, it's your call. Take a class vote.

I wish I had a teacher like you back in school. I think it's a great thing what your doing. I bet your students don't miss a day. :biggrin:

Depends a lot on your performance goals for the car.
My garage has both extreme ends of the spectrum.
My 87 for example is running a Commander chip because it is all stock and still running the stock MAF. A seldom driven original.
My 86 is was for many years running the Translator + and 3.5" LS1 MAF and Extender chip. It is now running the Translator Pro and Extender Pro.

If you already have the Translator + then you optimum setup would be to slide in a 3.5" LS1 MAF (least expensive route). BUT, you also will want to upgrade from the Commander chip to an Extender. You'll be leaving a lot on the table by continuing to run the commander chip with a Translator (of any kind).
The Commander was designed primarilly to run with the stock MAF and still give tuning options similar to the Extender.

IF you want to continue running a MAF you could still use the Translator Pro, it has MAF modes. You would then have it if in the future you wanted to upgrade to speed density (no maf). Other than the obvious additional powers of the TransPro it, in maf mode, is much the same as the Trans +, except instead of mechanical knobs, you have buttons controlling a microprocessor.

Basically, when you install the Translator, you'll need to get an Extender chip with it, and discontinue use of the Commander.

The 4" pipe with built in sensor will out preform ANY other sensor on the market on ANY car with a 44 turbo or bigger even if it has a 3" inlet. Generally boost goes up 1.5 to 2 lbs over the 3.5" sensor (even with a 4" pipe behind it) and we have seen up to 7 PSI gains over the stock MAF sensor and flex hose. This is without touching the wastegate at all. Spool up is greatly improved as well.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I forgot about that in my post. :eek: Hadn't had enough coffee yet. :wink:

TEACHING and LEARNING......THANKS to ALL

I have taught many DIFFERENT subjects--FROM AP CHEMISTRY to "MICKEY MOUSE" math in college , to job-related adult classes---- but the one place that I ENJOY is high school and Agriculture. I am not limited to a SET of objectives. WE have done just about everything with farm equipment and farming that you can think of......ME and my students were getting burnt-out.....:rolleyes:
SO, we started with the turbo BUICKS, we have READ, READ, READ, emailed and called people for advice and Help........MIKE and his staff at FULL THROTTLE has ALWAYS went out-of their way to HELP answer questions and supply US with GREAT learning TOOLS----MANY at no CHARGE to my class.
EVERYTIME we start a new project my students do research, research and more research---where it is writing the process or doing the work, to testing........IS this LEARNING??????? In my book, anytime a students expands his/her knowledge in a POSITIVE way that is LEARNING(and having fun at the same time!!!bonus). YES, it is not always fun or easy---but when my students call me up and WANT to come to school to learn(weekends, summer ,nights and after school)..then , this is TEACHING and LEARNING.
Could I have done it on my own....NO.... it’s people like MIKE at FULL THROTTLE (any many other vendors) and members on this forum and other forums that are giving my students a chance to be SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

The pay-off: 99% Graduation rate and MANY 1st place awards in many different competitions each year. ALSO, many of my students go straight from high school to the world of work--- if not then into college.
TEACHING…..LEARNING….. THANKS to ALL for HELPING ME and MY STUDENTS!!
SORRY to go-off on a rant!!!!!:biggrin:

Hope there is not to many errors in grammar……we are in the middle of working some livestock-----in the rain!!!

Use what you have now for sure. :smile:

If you need a project pull off those Poston headers and make sure the weld slag is ported out of them and the turbo inlet pipe is at least ported to the stock header size, same with all the exhaust ports.

That should keep you busy, unless you already did that.... ;)

Man....... was that a job.

Use what you have now for sure. :smile:

If you need a project pull off those Poston headers and make sure the weld slag is ported out of them and the turbo inlet pipe is at least ported to the stock header size, same with all the exhaust ports.

That should keep you busy, unless you already did that.... ;)

YES SIR!!!! that was a PROJECT!!!!!
1. Inspected all welds,ground ,repaired then strenghten between pipe to pipe unions
2. Students de-slag all inlets then done a fair job at porting to the gaskets.
3. Installed with studs and copper gaskets(might have been a little over-kill).
NOW they know how to repair the stock set correctly.
Great activity in metallurgy.

Damm, that was some lesson eh? :D

Can they paint, do rust repair, and do body work? :cool:

Road trip.... :smile:

YEP.....that our long term project/activities

Damm, that was some lesson eh? :D

Can they paint, do rust repair, and do body work? :cool:

Road trip.... :smile:

We just bought a parts car:rolleyes: It started out as a strip/parts car, but as we started removing parts "the better it looked":biggrin: . Now we are starting the process of stripping paint-straighten-prep....and the list goes on and on...... We are looking at least a year or two in completing the body. Next the underside,interior, and then the MOTOR.......I hope to finish before I retire:D .
AND all this going-on while we do the FARMING/AGRICULTURE THINGS:smile: !!

Back