Blew headgasket at low boost.

87NAT

In Between GN's
My Thanksgiving treat was a blown headgasket this afternoon.:mad:

What I dont understand as of yet was why. I was in third gear, 3/4 throttle and 20-21 psi when it went. My boost is set at 24 psi at full throttle and I was no where near that level. I was just merging onto the interstate. I always prime my alky before I take my car out. It blew out towards the fenderwell. I have no smoke or coolant loss. I guess thats a blessing. I just parked it this evening. I just had to post this to vent, my wife doesnt feel sorry for me.:redface:

Regardless of what the scanmaster said you had a lot of detonation. Id make sure the interrupter ring on the balancer is indexed properly

I'd say if you are going to go 3/4 throttle then go all the way to WOT, because your still making lots of boost and the chip most likely isn't fueling right because you're not on the floorboard.

Regardless of what the scanmaster said you had a lot of detonation. Id make sure the interrupter ring on the balancer is indexed properly
Indexed? You mean that it might have walked a little bit?

I have an audible knock alarm also and it didnt go off. I know it works because it has gone off plenty of times with low gear tire spin. I have not had it go off in a third gear WOT pull yet. My tune is good for no knock..I guess something leaned out.

I'd say if you are going to go 3/4 throttle then go all the way to WOT, because your still making lots of boost and the chip most likely isn't fueling right because you're not on the floorboard.

I was just merging onto the interstae...not making a WOT run. Thats why it wasnt floored. Of course I was merging REAL FAST.:D

You say you were merging onto the interstate...Was it a fairly sharp ramp?? How much gas was in the car??

I was just merging onto the interstae...not making a WOT run. Thats why it wasnt floored. Of course I was merging REAL FAST.:D

I understand, but for instance my car at 3/4 throttle is still almost full boost but the chip isn't fueling anywhere near where it needs to for that.

I understand, but for instance my car at 3/4 throttle is still almost full boost but the chip isn't fueling anywhere near where it needs to for that.

I see your point about the fueling. I never considered that. I thought with Erics chips that anything over 3.75 TPS volts the ECM sees WOT and fuels accordingly.

I had 1/4 tank of gas and the on ramp is flat and about 1/4 mile long. Its a good "test road".

I see your point about the fueling. I never considered that. I thought with Erics chips that anything over 3.75 TPS volts the ECM sees WOT and fuels accordingly.

I had 1/4 tank of gas and the on ramp is flat and about 1/4 mile long. Its a good "test road".

I try not to get on mine much under a 1/4 tank.

I found that mine do that to, i think the turbo eat's that fuel quick if your not steadly going to the floor, and pause at the part throttle. Maybe it was bruised before, and chose to let go at that time!

If I have to take it down I am going to slap a set of Champion irons and ported intake with Cometics and studs.. Hopefully I can still run good times with low boost(18-20) and be safe. What do you guys think of that. A good addition to my turbo and cam setup? I went low 11's at 23 psi with my stock heads and intake.

I hardly ever go to the track but I still want to be able to enjoy good power on the street and decent track times without running crazy boost.

If I have to take it down I am going to slap a set of Champion irons and ported intake with Cometics and studs.. Hopefully I can still run good times with low boost(18-20) and be safe. What do you guys think of that. A good addition to my turbo and cam setup? I went low 11's at 23 psi with my stock heads and intake.

I hardly ever go to the track but I still want to be able to enjoy good power on the street and decent track times without running crazy boost.

Sounds logical to me...I think doing that will round out the rest of your combo.

Probably get you into the 10's if you run about the boost you run now.

My combo is similar to yours only I already have ported heads and my cam's bigger...I ran the time in my sig with about 25 psi and crappy 60' times.

Yeah i have the same turbo, and i havent been that fast yet, maybe cause of my 2.0-1.9 60ft. Now you got me thinking of turnning up the boost to 23!

even if it was only part throttle it shouldn't have gone lean... The LV8/MAF and TPS were all probably within the range of putting it into power enrichment mode. So there still could be another problem that will show itself when you get it back together.

Could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. this last time.. it was its time.

Dont beat on it on low fuel.. pressure drops.. and bad things happen

could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. This last time.. It was its time.

Dont beat on it on low fuel.. Pressure drops.. And bad things happen

+1.

Could also have been the straw that broke the camels back. The gasket could have been weakened.. this last time.. it was its time.

Dont beat on it on low fuel.. pressure drops.. and bad things happen

X2..Exactly what i was thinking as i read this thread!