You can type here any text you want

Broken rocker shaft

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Got a customers car with a broken shaft on #2. Pics are attached. I am thinking the head has to come off and the valve needs to be replaced. What do you guys think.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 378
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 374
yep needs to come apart. when reassembled it should have the contact pattern checked.

If I was doing this job, I would replace the shaft and rocker and see how it works and sounds when started.

From the pic it appears the outside radius of the valve tip is rounded, and may not affect normal operation?

Be sure the keepers have not been damaged, and go from there.

Yeah the head need to come off for sure and do you know what springs those are? I would check the pressures.

Im with nick on this one.Theres a good chance the rocker arm doesnt even touch there.Bolt a new one on and check.

I would step up to HD shafts and carry on. What you experienced is pretty common. Those springs look STOUT! Verify seat AND over the nose pressure to make sure the springs are right for your cam/lifter combo.

I would step up to HD shafts and carry on. What you experienced is pretty common. Those springs look STOUT! Verify seat AND over the nose pressure to make sure the springs are right for your cam/lifter combo.

Springs were set to 85-90psi closed pressure. I removed all lifters and they look fine. Aren't HD shafts long gone? If not who sells them?

The HD shafts are available from TA Performance, and the part no. is: TA 1316-231-2.

Their phone no. is: 480-922-6807 :)

If I was doing this job, I would replace the shaft and rocker and see how it works and sounds when started.

From the pic it appears the outside radius of the valve tip is rounded, and may not affect normal operation?

Be sure the keepers have not been damaged, and go from there.
I agree with Nick. That is where the stockers usually break trying to open the exhaust valve when there is alot of cylinder pressure being up on boost.

Going back with HD shafts. Customers says he over torqued bolts. I said these break anyways.:)

I wouldn't be opposed to using the shaft braces along with the HD rocker shafts..Mine has both after the stock ones ended up looking like your customers...

Back