Buick GNX #475 at Barrett Jackson: How much will it sell for?

How much will GNX #475 Sell for?

• Under $60,000

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • $60,000 - $70,000

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • $70,000 - $80,000

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • $80,000 - $90,000

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • $90,000 - $100,000

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Over $100,000

Votes: 17 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, GNX 475 has been repainted, nice job, but still this was not a good representation a 200+ mile car?:confused:

At 80K, that would have been OK, and we bid $85 and that was more than enough.

We asked the owner before it was on the stage, "why the repaint?", he replied "If you don't like it, don't bid on it". He was a jerk to a couple other bidders too.:mad:

A good day overall as one of my GN customers [10 sec. street car] is going to the Super Bowl. He had a excellent performance in his position as a running back beating the Eagles, and will see his smiling here face tomorrow!:D .

86,000, not bad for BJ. This car really should have been up on Friday or Saturday. So that sets the bar. A GNX with 267 miles sells for $77,400.(adjusted for fees) This would translate into most of the <10,000 milers only being worth approximately 60,000. I know that you can't base a car's worth off of the one sale, but it was very public, and can't help the situation. It is funny too, I have never met or heard of anyone that has paid more than the 60-70k range for one of these in the last few years, yet everyone seems to be listing them in the 85-105k range and they never sell. Personally, I feel more than double the cars original selling price is a bit too much for something that in reality isn't that rare. There probably has to be 500-520 of the 547 still around with most of them being garage queens. JMO.

On another note, I have been watching for the past few days and it seems whenever they have a car on the block that "stalls" during bidding, there always seems to be a mysterious bidder (different ones) that weren't in the running up till that point that get in the game driving it up a bit. I also noticed that this bidder almost never takes the last step to win it. Now I know there are all kinds of people out there, but I know if I were serious about buying a car in auction, I would be right up there on the platform, not sitting 50 rows back sipping on a beer. Can you say shill bidders!

Some of you guys take it personal.....

Speed tv does all the tv coverage. BJ has NOTHING to do with what gets shown on the air. If you watch all the auctions from end to end (I tivo them all) you will see that they cut in and out of coverage with almost no regard for what's on stage or what's coming up. The mopar guys always complain that they get screwed out of airtime too and I see plenty of them go across the block. I have saved the short clips of all of the turbo buicks that cross the block, and for the low number of buicks there, they seem to get on the air quite often.

The BJ website says the car sold for $96,400. Was this a misprint? I didn't see the show today.

While I will say it's not like BJ or Speed purposely made sure to cut to commercial, it would have been nice to see the X broadcast. Lord knows enough mid-to-late 60's yellow Corvettes got plenty of air time. I got sick of looking at all of them.

The BJ website says the car sold for $96,400. Was this a misprint? I didn't see the show today.

$86K + 10% buyers premium = $94,6K..........Seller actually only made out with $77,4K after the sellers fee. Guess they still did better than they would have selling it to me locally for the $75K I offered........of course considering all the time involved and whatever costs to get it there etc., probably would have been quicker and easier and they would have roughly netted the same. However, they never mentioned the repaint to me though and had I known that I would have lost all interest right then and there. I know original paint was bad, but if the car truly had just 267 miles that should have never been necessary not to mention the fact that the undercarriage looks worse than the undercarriage of my parents 50K + mile Mercury Mountaineer that's driven in all kinds of foul weather :eek:

GNX value

Putting the sellers fees aside. The way I see it is the buyer paid $94,600 with buyers fees, so that is what the buyer was willing to spend. Buyer knows about the fees before bidding. IMO GNX values are still strong.

86,000, not bad for BJ. This car really should have been up on Friday or Saturday. So that sets the bar. A GNX with 267 miles sells for $77,400.(adjusted for fees) This would translate into most of the <10,000 milers only being worth approximately 60,000. I know that you can't base a car's worth off of the one sale, but it was very public, and can't help the situation. It is funny too, I have never met or heard of anyone that has paid more than the 60-70k range for one of these in the last few years, yet everyone seems to be listing them in the 85-105k range and they never sell. Personally, I feel more than double the cars original selling price is a bit too much for something that in reality isn't that rare. There probably has to be 500-520 of the 547 still around with most of them being garage queens. JMO.

On another note, I have been watching for the past few days and it seems whenever they have a car on the block that "stalls" during bidding, there always seems to be a mysterious bidder (different ones) that weren't in the running up till that point that get in the game driving it up a bit. I also noticed that this bidder almost never takes the last step to win it. Now I know there are all kinds of people out there, but I know if I were serious about buying a car in auction, I would be right up there on the platform, not sitting 50 rows back sipping on a beer. Can you say shill bidders!

So I guess we just deduct $2 per mile and arrive at a fair price. A 40000 mile car is obviously worthless. I was born at night...but not last night. JMO back at ya. No hard feelings.

Well, GNX 475 has been repainted, nice job, but still this was not a good representation a 200+ mile car?:confused:

At 80K, that would have been OK, and we bid $85 and that was more than enough.

We asked the owner before it was on the stage, "why the repaint?", he replied "If you don't like it, don't bid on it". He was a jerk to a couple other bidders too.:mad:

I had no idea this car was repainted. I'm amazed someone would be willing to pay 90K plus for this car.:confused:

You should be able to find one that's completely original with similar mileage in that price range.

The seller sounds like a jerk on top of it! Asking why it needed paint was definately a legitimate question. Apparently, this car didn't have the best caretakers. Here's another example of how mileage shown on the odometer has little to do with a cars true condition.

Putting the sellers fees aside. The way I see it is the buyer paid $94,600 with buyers fees, so that is what the buyer was willing to spend. Buyer knows about the fees before bidding. IMO GNX values are still strong.

X2

I had a lot of tire kickers and they pissed me off asking questions about the paint and the rust undercarrige:eek: I can only take so much BS !! :p
This car does prove one thing.. $$$$ is tight BUT when ya get up to a rare car that people want the market doesn't get hurt bad in times like these. :cool:

Values are strong and since a GNX is so desirable it will be one of the last things to devalue in a down economy. I can see from a GNX sellers point of view why it would be encouraging to look at it this way. Also have to remember that most of the buyers at BJ have fairly deep pockets and the ultimate price is often times not a true indication of what real world pricing would be especially after you add in all the fees and the mentality that I would like to show the world how much money I have. From a buyers perspective and another way to look at this particular situation is that the seller had it for sale for more than 2 years at a asking price of $82,999 and it never sold after multiple auto trader ads, times on e-bay etc. Ultimately the seller dropped the price to $79,999 locally right before they decided it was no longer worth it to try and actively sell it and took it to a no reserve auction where they ultimately netted $77,400 minus transport costs which equates to approximately $76K. However, this is still a strong price though for a repainted GNX with a rusty undercarriage, busted power antenna, and 267 probably non-actual miles on the odometer based on the looks of the underside and the repaint. Car did also have the jacket, most of it's original important papers, and booklets which does help the value some too. I would ultimately say the sellers bottom line is right in line with fair market value not what the buyer was willing to spend.