Carbon Fiber Valve covers

I know that CF is NOT cheap. But it looks so damn good.

How do you work with the pre preg CF, it already has resin in it correct?

The resin is already in it. You have to keep it cold or frozen when your not using it and must be thawed completely before using it.
The only problem with CF or Kevlar is that it needs heat to cure properly, and it should be in a vacume(bag) for best results!

I have seen fiber glass that looks exactly like CF. Those 300-400$ CF hoods you see (think black fiber glass!)

latest project

Carbon fiber 4in tube.jpg

This is the carbon fiber 4"X18" intel tube I made for my turbo.
I had some complications with this one. The next one should be real nice.

That would be nice cf covers.

No i think a set of CLEAR or SEE THROUGH the top valve cover would be the ultimate.

1 for looks
2 for trouble shooting if you have problems, i have a nice picture in my mind..:)

could some one make one PLEASE i'd buy it. yesterday.

No i think a set of CLEAR or SEE THROUGH the top valve cover would be the ultimate.

1 for looks
2 for trouble shooting if you have problems, i have a nice picture in my mind..:)

could some one make one PLEASE i'd buy it. yesterday.

They would probably look good for a little while, but the oil might fog them out and then you will have oil colored VC's :eek:

You could probably vacuum thermoform them out of polycarbonate. The oil would slowly turn the inside surface yellow but you could use one of those headlight cover polishing kits to renew it. Or build those two-part removeable top ones someone else was hoping for, and just use flat polycarbonate for the lid. Take a driver's side valve cover to a local TotalPlastics store and see what they say - I'd bet the form would only be a couple of hundred and then $50-100 each to supply the material and form them. You'll want to tweak the form a little or when you put the driver's side shape on the passenger side it will hit the ac cover. There's plans from Lindsay to build your own thermoformer, it looks very straightforward but I can't finish the hobbies I have now :).

So here is the real question. How much would you be willing to pay for the CF VC's? With the cost of R&D, Mold making, Releaseing agents, Resin, CF, and then the actual time to produce them it could get a little pricy :eek:, but then again nothing is cheap for these cars :rolleyes:.

In the near future i'm going to try to make a set for my car, but I can already see a problem with making a "lip" on the VC to allow it to sit on the head properly.

First prototype parts will need to be made because you would want parts to clear roller rockers...also, baffles would need to be added to create proper ventilation performance ... prototype parts would cost approximately $750 .... Tooling for the valve covers, with A and B sided molds to create a proper sealing surface on the heads and the oil inlet, would be approximately $1000..to produce high quality parts you would have to charge approximately $700 a set IF you had a guarantee of selling 20 sets......:( a lot of money for covers ....

I agree, it is alot to start it up, and I'm not sure how many units could be sold, but I still want a set for myself :D. They will be made to clear roller rockers, I plan on basing them off my Power 6 valve covers.

Sounds good…have fun building them and I look forward to seeing the finished project….I know it will take some time to complete….

For what it's worth I have a close buddy who has tried a set of Carbon Fiber valve covers on his Steve Morris turbo big block and he told me personally he will NEVER use a set of CF valve covers again! yeah they look cool but they don't work well and in my eye's they would have to work as well as they look!!
If you want to ask him why his board name here is ( intheeights)..

Good idea BUT think, The base of the V covers has to be very ridgid for Proper sealing and to me I would think CF would flex and wouldn't seal for crap!!

SW.

The base of the V covers has to be very ridgid for Proper sealing and to me I would think CF would flex and wouldn't seal for crap!!

SW.
Think ur probably right Scott. The last think our Buicks need is more oil leakage. Its a kool idea but if it was feasable im sure others would be using them for weight savings if anything.

The pros have titanium nuts/bolts so im sure if they could save weight on the huge valve covers on those big blocks then im sure they would use them.

Not to mention, how tight could you actually tighten it before the CF or a similar material would crack? I honestly don't know but I cant imagine very tight.

Well....for the guys that only want it for the looks...what about a CF cover that slips over a stock (or specific other kind) of valve cover and is held on somehow?

Well....for the guys that only want it for the looks...what about a CF cover that slips over a stock (or specific other kind) of valve cover and is held on somehow?
NOW your talking!!! I see it being held on in the exact same holes that hold down the valve cover but with those Double bolts (The bolts that have threads on both ends) Just like to original stock VC bolts! ;)

SW.

I'm not concerned about weight savings, I just want some GD carbon fiber parts on my car :biggrin:. As far as leaks go, I think with the Felpro gaskets that have the metal support in them would seal up good. I dont think you would really have to crank down on the bolts that much (there VC's not head bolts ;)) I have some ideas floating around, its just a matter of making some drawings, and molds. I'm still trying to find a source for high temp epoxy resin, there is a place in the UK that has some that will hold up to about 320 degrees F. But I want to see if I can get a higher temp resin because I have some other "ideas" for carbon under the hood. If anyone has any info or leads please let me know.