Cardone rebuilt Power Master issues

Steve I just stumbled upon this.

Ttype6 do not hog all of these up. I like your quadrajet comparisson. I had a 780 on my 67 GTO & loved it once it was set.

There is one thing after reading this I didn't see brought up at all. All these failures......... are your proprtioning valves the new re-call with brass or do you have the old Iron units on there? You know the ones that deteriorate on the inside? Turning your oil that nice shade of dark brown or black? The same oil that attacks the glue on the inside of the ACC ball & allows the diaphragm to fail? The same debris going thru the power master unit itself?
I get a call at least twice a month. This is the 3rd acc ball in 6 years, get me a vacuum brake system.
Did you check your proportiong valve to see if it was replaced?
No it is original.
Your oil almost black?
Yes.
Would you consider changing that & getting a new ACC ball?
No the Power master is Junk I read it all over the internet.

Every one of my personal Buick's & I have 1 or 2 is running a power master.

I really can not belive that a business that sold this as a full warranty unit wouldn't take it back.

I really think some one needs to get Richard Clark to chime in here as he likes playing with these alot.

I did not know that the Prop valve contributed to the PM's demise. I knew it was a problem in cold climates where the roads were salted.

Maybe an order is in the works.

I did not know that the Prop valve contributed to the PM's demise. I knew it was a problem in cold climates where the roads were salted.

Maybe an order is in the works.
Why was there a re-call. Maybe I have been mis informed.
87turbolimited if the unit is over filled there are 2 vents on the cap. The one in the rear can make it look like the reservoir or motor is leaking. Not to say it isn't the seals like Pete said just check the easiest reason first of how fluid would escape.

Ttype6 do not hog all of these up. I like your quadrajet comparisson.

Every one of my personal Buick's & I have 1 or 2 is running a power master.

I'm not a hoarder. I've seen one bad motor and one bad accumulator. I'm not even talking about these two items when I say these are easy to work on. The only thing inside the master that I've found bad is the two O-rings for the booster.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that anyone who wants can send me their Quadrajunks also.

I'm not a hoarder. I've seen one bad motor and one bad accumulator. I'm not even talking about these two items when I say these are easy to work on. The only thing inside the master that I've found bad is the two O-rings for the booster.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that anyone who wants can send me their Quadrajunks also.
Powermaster is nice when it works. When it doesn't you basically get nothing & the 'crap your pants' syndrome numerous people have mentioned. That's my main issue with it. When the other systems fail, you get some warnings & still have decent manual brakes. Power master has left many of us with no warning & trying to figure out how to save ourselves &/the car. Once I had mine fail (under factory warranty) I never quite felt the same about them when deciding to head out to the cruise or a show. In the middle of my 3rd TR doing a vacuum swap , expecting the same results of the other swaps. The good thing is, if you still like the Powermaster, I'll be getting rid of 2 of the systems coming up. :)

[quote="m1tankr, post: 2992803, member: 36027" The good thing is, if you still like the Powermaster, I'll be getting rid of 2 of the systems coming up. :)[/quote]

SWEAT! I understand your point. Many share it. I love the Powermaster.

...Change your brake fluid twice a year and the PM will last for years.

I would hope! But brake fluid shouldn't need to be changed that often. Only an inferior system, reliability wise anyway, necessitates that process.

I would hope! But brake fluid shouldn't need to be changed that often. Only an inferior system, reliability wise anyway, necessitates that process.

Most brake systems should be flushed once a year. I recommend twice a year NOT because of the Powermaster but because most Turbo Regals are not driven on a regular basis anymore. Moisture will build up in the system and lead to problems.

Our cars overall are much like the Powermaster now. No longer state of the art and very temperamental.

More thoughts on what is a touchy topic. Buick as it has been pointed out did have several issues back when these cars were new. The one major recall was GE's brake switch problem. If not done brake fluid could squirt out of the switch. You had three different vendors making the proportioning valve of which only one was made in brass so the others turned to rust.

The original brake bowl had a high failure rate. Buick neglected to let owners know that brake fluid should be flushed every year or so something that German car makers have preached for years. Knock on wood, having owned 5 different "test cars" personally of my own I only experienced one brake problem and that was the switch shorting out blowing the fuse.

A segment of owners myself included will always want to retain the stock powermaster system which keeps the car original which makes it more desireable as each year passes. I have had brake issues on some of the 300 plus total Regals I have bought to resell mostly related to the brake bowl. Mostly low mileage ones that had original brake fluid in them.

Technology has come a long way since our cars were built. Every popular muscle car you can name I am sure has a few quirks associated with it.

Another improvement we recommend is replacing the front rubber brake hoses with the stainless ones. From a business standpoint we offer both versions vacuum and powermasters.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thankful in part that Cardone did have the brake bowl reproduced and continues to rebuild the powermaster brake units for us.

Most brake systems should be flushed once a year. I recommend twice a year NOT because of the Powermaster but because most Turbo Regals are not driven on a regular basis anymore. Moisture will build up in the system and lead to problems.

Our cars overall are much like the Powermaster now. No longer state of the art and very temperamental.

I drive mine 10k+ miles/year. I'm glad there are those out there keeping these cars original, but in doing so, you are keeping them temperamental. And that's all I'm saying. You are correct in every aspect as long as the car is being preserved and not used like I do mine. I would drive my car across the country and back in its current state. I'll drive to to BG this October, rip some 11 sec passes, and drive it home; over 600 miles each way. Would you do that with a powermaster on the car?

Ive got about 15 quadra junks for you

Fwiw the proportioning valve was not an authorized recall for all cars. I tired it about 5 years ago and it was a no go. If i wanted a new one i had to pay for it

The powermaster fluid which provides the power brakes is seperate from the master cylinder fluid which is used to stop the car. Its easily changed. Just depressurize the powermaster and use a 60ml syringe with a small piece of hose attached to the end to suck the old fluid out of the large open area in the reservior. The 2 smaller area are the front and rear breaks. You will notice they are separate. Once you get it all out you re-fill with fresh fluid and cycle the powermaster a few times and repeat the process. this way you will get about 95% of the old fluid out and you will have decent accumulator life. Ive seen them last 10 years and would probably still be at 70% or greater. The last switch failure i had was in 1996 and i cant remember if it was a replacement or not. As mentioned earlier the only areas ive seen fail in the actual part of the master cylinder are the o-rings that separate the circuits. Ive seen the check valve stick on many. If the switch is old and of unknown origin then replacing it with a new switch is advised. I have not had a new switch fail on me yet. If the switch is bad or was bad and the motor was run above the off pressure it will fail rather quickly and the evidence is usually repeated blown fuses on the powermaster circuit. Rotted brake lines are much more likely on these cars in the northeast unless they are garage kept cars and not driven in the winter.

I added to this post yesterday,

http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/power-master-troubles-reman-unit.379031/
I have the same problem, motor runs continous after test drive Temp at PM motor 130 F. I replaced the motor with the one I removed and everything is perfect now. Cycle time 4-5sec at any Temp. 10 pump cycle 14 seconds. The pump that came with the rebuild had 8sec cycle at 80F and 25 sec at 10 pump down, when the temp goes up the pump time got longer until it ran continous and the tank level stayed high.

Took the car to the 1/8 mile drags and 150 mile drive with my old pump last night everything worked perfect. The PROBLEM I talked with Cardone and the WILL NOT take the pump back and check it only the entire unit. I gave the tech the test proceedures and temps to add to there testing of the rebuilt units but I dont have any confidence that they really care.

I have decided to keep my unit and see if I can learn to rebuild the pumps myself.

P.S. If anyone knows of a rebuld procedure for the pump please contact me, I am also looking for a new seal kit for the cylinder I removed it had a slow bypass problem.

Thanks, hope this info helps others,
Steve​

FWIW. I rebuilt my own PM I would say about 12 years ago when the kits were available. And since then it has failed me once due to the ACC Bowl. ONLY to this year I have gone to a Manual due to the Big Stage II Headers that did not clear the PM I had to remove it. Otherwise I would still run it. I found this method with the Cardone issue. Before installing the PM on the car, I would fill the Res. and let it drain completely to get that Solvent out. As of now it seems to be working fine.

After reading this months old thread, I had a good laugh of how it illustrates that the Powermaster is is BIGGEST POS that GM ever put on a performance car, especially as a "test bed" item. :D

If they had installed this piece of crap PM on millions of vehicles like they did/do with vac boosters, they could not have kept up with all the class action law suits. :eek:

Oh yes, now it is said you should change brake fluid every year, but that was not mentioned in 1986?

How many T-R's have rear ended another vehicle when the POS offered no assist in traffic? One is enough, but I know of many, and one in my family.

This debate will go on forever, but why owners let their car be exposed to sudden and unexpected failure, is beyond me? A vacuum conversion is easily reversed if it ever was wanted to be returned to "stock".

Thanks for the entertainment, and I am still waiting for at least one good reason to retain the most unreliable POS GM ever put on a vehicle with a critical job like stopping the car! :)