You can type here any text you want

Cheap oil filter media

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBuRick

Staff member
A picture is worth a thousand words.....
IMG_1263[1].JPG

Thoughts.....

Rick

Could be....I had one here just like that yesterday. It was blackmonte's old GN. Nothing else wrong with it. Slight trash went through bearings, no copper, cam nice, front cover nice too...

Small world, glad he found someone good. It is beyond a doubt broken down filter media. Somewhere down the line there was some cheap filters were used. Bearing in this one look ok. Same thing, a little dirt went through but no copper. Thank the engineer that put the little flapper in the screen.

Rick

Small world, glad he found someone good. It is beyond a doubt broken down filter media. Somewhere down the line there was some cheap filters were used. Bearing in this one look ok. Same thing, a little dirt went through but no copper. Thank the engineer that put the little flapper in the screen.

Rick
Same here Rick. Bearings are very nice. Most likely just in need of a valve job. This translator pro is new to me though. So a bit of learning curve ahead on that one.

I been running the tpro since it came out. If I can be any assistance, hit me up.

Rick

........ It is beyond a doubt broken down filter media. Somewhere down the line there was some cheap filters were used.

Rick

This is one reason I would not trust "toilet paper" quality filter media to protect my stock original engine, and certainly not my expensive built performance engines.

At 80-90 psi on start up and 40-50 psi driving, there is no way paper or other commercial filter media will hold up, and even the better grade "paper" filters will have weak spots or channels not doing any filtering?

The 40 micron stainless steel mesh K&P filter I use has no bypass, and will never allow "tracking",

Yes, they are not cheap, but over a short period of time the investment $$$ spent are recovered by NOT needing to buy any more oil filters!

The 40 micron stainless steel mesh K&P filter I use has no bypass.

I thought they all came with a variable bypass? Which filter do you use? The only one listed for our motors is the S18.

Wix is a good paper element
I cut all my filters the Wix is a nice filter better than AC and Fram

Wix is a good paper element
I cut all my filters the Wix is a nice filter better than AC and Fram

Isn't WIX the same as NAPA? If so thats what my car had been using and the oil pickup looked the same as Rick's. As Steve mentioned, the motor still looked stellar inside.

The filter debris stuck the the screen was prolly from 2 owners ago. I know John never used garbage. The little flapper valve saved it from starvation.

Rick

The filter debris stuck the the screen was prolly from 2 owners ago. I know John never used garbage. The little flapper valve saved it from starvation.

Rick
I loaded the engine tonite and the wifey is taking it to the machine shop after work Thrus, looking things over again John took real good care of it.

The debris stuck in the pickup screen looks like Carbon. The pickup screen is the first line of protection before the oil gets to the filter , if the bearings look good the filter is doing its job. I use to see this a lot in the 80s when the oils weren't as good and people didn't change oil enough.

Was this a fresh rebuild? could it be shop rag lent? maybe from just upper end work

The K&P does have a ball valve bypass in the filter...its in the bottom of the element.

Back