Clarification requested on "stock appearing" turbochargers

turbodave231

I am requesting clarification on the configuration of a TSA legal turbo.

My questions:

Is a stock compressor backing plate required? or is a billet backing plate allowable?

Is a Garrett turbine housing required? or is a PTE 3 bolt turbine housing allowable?

Thanks,
Dave

I going to guess "no" on the billet backing plate, and "no" on the PTE turbine. If someone can tell its not factory from a tool-less visual inspection.... And that "someone" is an expert.

Bob

:)

and by tool-less, I mean that no parts are removed.

But Richard and The Colonel have measuring gauges for ~everything~

B

Bob, appreciate the response. But I'd still like to hear that from Richard or The Colonel before I spend hard earned money on a turbo. I sent them both a "PM".

Is a .82 Garrret turbine housing an allowable substitute for the stock .63? You can still read the numbers with a mirror.

Where is everybody on this forum?

I spoke with Richard, and he said he would check in and give us an official answer.

He did say that a billet backing plate would not be allowed, its just the turbine housing that is in question.

Bob

Talked with Richard some more, his feeling is that the PTE turbine should be allowed, since its under the shroud.

Hopefully he will post here and clarify, or add it to the rules.

Bob

You can overthink yourself....it has to appear stock.....will it pass a concourse judge?

I am requesting clarification on the configuration of a TSA legal turbo.

My questions:

Is a stock compressor backing plate required? or is a billet backing plate allowable?

Is a Garrett turbine housing required? or is a PTE 3 bolt turbine housing allowable?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I called and talked to Richard about both the billet backing plates and the use of PTE turbine housing years ago and was given the thumbs up on both. If those ruling change, I can tell you that most if not every car in the class 2012 and previous would be outlawed for 2013.

Hope that helps, Kip

Kip, Thanks for sharing the details of your conversation with Richard.

Now I'm even more confused.........Bob says no billet backing plate and Garrett only turbine housings.

If I go thru the expense of building a turbo with a stock backing plate and garrett housing and then show up in Bowling Green to find out that everybody else is using billet backing plates and PTE housings, I'll be one pissed off customer. OR if I build a billet backing plate, PTE turbine housed turbo and get DQ'ed, I'll be smokin' mad too!!!

I want to be competitive, stay inside the rules and avoid all this hassle. I NEED to Hear this all from Richard!!!! anybody got his phone number? Don't post it, just PM it to me.

Dave

Kip, Thanks for sharing the details of your conversation with Richard.

Now I'm even more confused.........Bob says no billet backing plate and Garrett only turbine housings.

If I go thru the expense of building a turbo with a stock backing plate and garrett housing and then show up in Bowling Green to find out that everybody else is using billet backing plates and PTE housings, I'll be one pissed off customer. OR if I build a billet backing plate, PTE turbine housed turbo and get DQ'ed, I'll be smokin' mad too!!!

I want to be competitive, stay inside the rules and avoid all this hassle. I NEED to Hear this all from Richard!!!! anybody got his phone number? Don't post it, just PM it to me.

Dave

No problem Dave, I understand where you are coming from. Do me a favor when you talk to Richard and remind him that me and him spoke about this subject years ago and both parts were allowed. Please post what you find out after talking to Richard.

Take care, Kip

I am really starting to wonder about the future of this class. I've tried everything I know to get some answers....even called Richard. No response. Guess its just not a priority.

I know RC is really buried with work stuff, and tons of Buick stuff on top of that.

I will ask him again, next time I talk to him.

Bob

Ok, here it is, "in writing".

Both PTE turbine housings and billet compressor backing plates will be legal in TSA.

I have confirmation from Richard via email today.

And, if you think about it, its a racing class, not a concours show class. And we would like to encourage more people to enter.

So, there you have it.

Bob

Thanks Bob!!

That clears up the turbo question. Now I can move forward.

There is still a small question about head bolts..........The long bolt has been discontinued. The short bolt is still available. FelPro sells a TTY bolt kit, but they are not marked like factory bolts........Are they OK to use?

Dave

Search function is still jacked. But, IIRC there was a thread on this and RC covered all the ones that are OK a year or so ago.

HEADS UP, TSA RACERS!

I had a long chat with Richard yesterday, 7 March 2013. Billet backing plates on turbo housings are OK. ANY turbo housing that fits UNDER the STOCK TURBO SHIELD is allowed. The turbo must 'hookup' with the STOCK two bolt spring loaded downpipe housing. As of 7 March, it is Richards INTENTION at this time to again sponsor the TSA race at Bowling Green this coming October. Circumstances in the future could change his intention to sponsor the race. So, again, at this date, Richard INTENDS to again sponsor the TSA race, but that is NOT GUARANTEED as of this date. Unforeseen events are always a possible problem. Remember that Richard runs several businesses. His time is at a premium! Business requirements last October
forced him to leave Bowling Green on Friday before TSA eliminations on Saturday! He missed all of the 10 second action! At some date in the future he will let us know. Richard has no connection with Concours Judging. Lap tops are allowed for tuning purposes DURING QUALIFICATION RUNS ONLY, and are strictly forbidden during ELIMINATION RUNS. Cat second bungs(if installed) MUST have plugs during ELIMINATION RUNS. Modified Intercooler 'necks' are not allowed. SLICKS are not allowed. All VEHICLES MUST be 50 STATE legal! The key here is STOCK APPEARING!

The Colonel