Complete DSE Suspension Build

Scot, have you adjusted the camber to -1.5 yet? Aughta feel even better.

Hey guys, I think I'm the only one that Scot has allowed to drive this machine since the new suspension was installed. Went over to his house to help unload it off the trailer, and he handed me the keys to take it out and "give it a try". He has a very bendy, hilly little road leading to his house so took it out there.

To say that I was "impressed" would be doing a terrible injustice!!!! Talk about "slot car" handling!!! :eek: It's hard to explain, but I've owned a few "handlers" over the decades and Scot's car easilly owns them in the handling department!!!!

Good job Scot!!!!!

P.S. Ya'll have to come over and drink some more of my beer!!!!
Yes it is now at -1.5 Camber and the car loves it!! With the likes of Danny Popp, David Posse, Kyle Tucker, John (owner of CCW) It pays listening to people who really know what they are doing when it comes to setting up a car to handle on the street, Autocross, and Road-course.

Next we will be headed back to re-scale the car to see what has changed since the suspension install and where. I can tell you that my old set up was putting a bind on the car somehow and causing the rear ride heights to vary as much as 1/2" and now with the new DSE set up it is dead nuts level.

I have some other stuff to show you so we will have to come over again and help you with those beers!

Thanks for the compliments!

Scot W.

Last edited:
Here is a video of the slower 1:17 run... The next run I shaved a few seconds off to a 1:15 and if we were given the full 6 passes that we were supposed to get instead of only 3 passes, I believe I could have gotten it into the 1:12-1:13 area. At any rate the Best time was 1:07 (Kyle Tucker DSE) and overall I placed 30th out of 79 cars so thats the middle of the pack. Not too bad considering it was only my second time on a Auto-x.

Click on the image to Play!

SW.

Front Spring rates: Moog vs DSE

I just wanted to point out that the DSE front springs have less ''Rate" than the moog 5658's but still pretty close.

Front Spring Rate Comparison:

* Moog 5658's are 579 lbs

* DSE's 2" drop springs are 575 lbs

Scot W.

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that the DSE front springs have less ''Rate" than the moog 5658's but still pretty close.

Front Spring Rate Comparison:

* Moog 5658's are 579 lbs

* DSE's 2" drop springs are 575 lbs

Scot W.

LOL I wish we had a smiley that was a can of worms.:biggrin:

LOL I wish we had a smiley that was a can of worms.:biggrin:
lol, This wasn't done to stir anything up at all.... it is simply a comparison between springs and since the DSE 2" drop spring wasn't around when the moog spring comparisons were done, I thought it would be nice to add it so people can see the comparison...The Moog springs are a popular spring and I have nothing against them, a lot of people are using them and like the ride so I decided to compare the DSE rate and post the comparison info for others.

SW.

Last edited:
To Scot W:

I've said it before and will say it again:

YOUR CAR IS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR RIMS ARE SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easily in the top 2 rims ever made for our cars.

Update

Picked me up a few little things today to play with.. :biggrin: These should be of some help transferring weight around.... ;)

New scale pic's 009.jpg

New scale pic's 010.jpg

New scale pic's 011.jpg

New scale pic's 016.jpg

Today we re-scaled the car with the new DSE suspension and only gained 3 lbs in the front but the weight isn't what was the best change. The best thing was the entire car is now WAY more even from front to rear and cross, and the biggest thing we noticed was the weight ballance is Much better than with the stock suspension. I believe it's due to the old set up binding and throwing off the corner weights.

Nice Intercomp scale system / Camber & Caster bubble gauge
New scale pic's 013.jpg

Last edited:
Hows the car ride now? And how much lower does it sit?
Car handles fantastic now. The car is Very predictable and still rides very smooth on the street. Car now sits 2" lower with the DSE 2" drop springs.

SW.

Last edited:
From my last post with the scale pictures I mentioned a weight change of 3lbs in the front, Well it is actually only 2 lbs in the front and exactly 20 lbs in the rear with the new complete DSE suspension.

Here are some Corner Weight numbers showing the Stock suspension vs the DSE suspension. In this comparison you will easily see the big difference in the weights. The old stock suspension was obviously in a bind and the old springs were just old and had sag. At least that's the only thing that it could be seeing as we jacked the car up exactly the same way as before. Plus the fact that early last year I was complaining that my car sat crooked (higher on the right rear) and now it's dead even!

Okay here are some numbers:

Weights with Old Stock suspension:

FL = 997 / FR = 956 = (41 lbs difference side to side)

LR = 695 / RR = 741 = (46 lbs difference side to side)

Weights after the DSE suspension:

FL = 976 / FR = 979 = (3 lb difference side to side)

LR = 728 / RR = 728 = (NO difference side to side)

I Can tell you that when we were installing the new DSE suspension with their Delrin bushings that Everything moved very freely after everything was torqued to specs. I'm sure that does help when the car is under a load too.

Scot W.

Last edited:
Nice talking to you tonight Scott. How'd the exta weight in the rear change things? It should've made enough to give it more bite.

That's what I was hoping for.:biggrin: How much did you add from the wiggling kid. LOL
No wiggling kid...I put the wife in the trunk!!! :eek: seriously! We will keep the weight a secret... :biggrin:

I think we will be able to get to the desired Bias without a problem after a few weight saving items and some weight distribution.

Scot W.

Last edited:
No wiggling kid...I put the wife in the trunk!!! :eek: seriously! We will keep the weight a secret... :biggrin:

I think we will be able to get to the desired Bias without a problem after a few weight saving items and some weight distribution.

Scot W.

Well one trick I left out is using Pinto spindles Scott.:biggrin: You can drop quite a bit of weight off the front by using them and it corrects some of the steering geometry as well as having a stronger knuckle. Lots of options on brakes as well if you do some searching on the dirt track forums.:biggrin:

Do you have a before and after pic of your car? I have the Hotchis lowering springs and just want to compare it with your new setup....thanks

Do you have a before and after pic of your car? I have the Hotchis lowering springs and just want to compare it with your new setup....thanks
Out of all my pictures there isn't really any of the same angles of before and after. But, I also had the Hotchkis lowering springs on the rear of my car and I done a spring comparison with measurements right here in this thread. I can tell you that the DSE drop springs will lower the car another 1" more than the Hotchkis springs. For more pictures and info, look back on page 1.

Scot W.

Last edited:
Out of all my pictures there isn't really any of the same angles of before and after. But, I also had the Hotchkis lowering springs on the rear of my car and I done a spring comparison with measurements right here in this thread. I can tell you that the DSE drop springs will lower the car another 1" more than the Hotchkis springs. For more pictures and info, look back on page 1.

Scot W

sent pm

Well one trick I left out is using Pinto spindles Scott.:biggrin: You can drop quite a bit of weight off the front by using them and it corrects some of the steering geometry as well as having a stronger knuckle. Lots of options on brakes as well if you do some searching on the dirt track forums.:biggrin:
Hold up Charlie...Pinto spindles?