Dynamic EFI EBL Flash System For GM Sequential V6 Boosted Engines....

Posted this for a fellow member...

"1NASTYGN" said:
How is this device going? I just purchased a modded ECM, replaced injectors and now my scanmaster does not work, fans don't work....

1NastyGN, which modded ECM did you recently purchase...?

Bob, just started another full time job, so that is two jobs, hope to get the money up soon so I get this. Thise EBl is the best, love my old gen one of the chevy, look forward to using this and ALL it features on my Wagon.

Jim

So to run a 1 bar and a three bar map do y'all have a harness for this system or it is part of it? Also to run a scan master dose it have to be rewired or do u leave wires where they are?

I am running a external waste gate and not using the factory boost solenoid will that be an issue?

When running this system can u save a tune for like going to the track and driving on the street?

I'm saving my penny's to get this.

Thanks for all the info and being patient.
Shaun

So to run a 1 bar and a three bar map do y'all have a harness for this system or it is part of it? Also to run a scan master dose it have to be rewired or do u leave wires where they are?

To wire in the optional items will need the connector for it along with some wire. At this time we don't offer an add-in harness or such. By where the stock harness goes through the firewall, it doesn't look like a replacement harness would be practical. It is easier to add in additional wires from the ECM harness connectors and through the firewall at some other location.

There is a bunch of options that are available with the EBL SFI-6. So it is best to run a bunch of wires into the engine compartment at once for use.

The Scanmaster wiring is basically the same. It does require a 5.1V zener diode and a 470 ohm resistor. Could also use a LM7805 voltage regulator, or even one of the smaller 5V regulators. The data line going to the Scanmaster requires a 5 volt source through a 470 ohm resistor. Can see this on the wiring diagrams on our web site.

The reason is that the stock ALDL on the SFI-6 ECM is 8192 baud, while the GN Scanmaster uses 160 baud. So we bit-bang the 160 baud data out on a quad driver. Which then needs a pull up to +5 volts.

I am running a external waste gate and not using the factory boost solenoid will that be an issue?

No issue at all.

When running this system can u save a tune for like going to the track and driving on the street?

Yes, the EBL hardware has Flash to hold 8 calibrations. Switching between the calibrations is instant and glitch free. Will need a device (laptop) that has a host USB port and can run Windows.

I'm saving my penny's to get this.

Thanks for all the info and being patient.
Shaun

RemoveBeforeFlight

I have purchased and installed the EBL SFI-6 unit in my car, I will be slowly but surely learning and tuning with it over the coming weeks or months so i can hopefully give a decent review of the ECM if anyone is interested.

As of now i can say it took me at most 2 hours to re-pin the ECM connectors and then a couple hours to get my wideband and other random inputs hooked up and running. Once i opened up the initial tune to look at my head began to hurt, loads of tables and adjustability... this is when i went back to the website and did a lot of reading, then sent BobR a few emails :) When i first started the car it idled better than i can remember over the lifespan of the car on cold start! I have also driven it several miles with no daily driving issues after doing a few VE learns, soon i will tackle the PE and Boost fueling i hope but im moving slowly and trying to learn most of the tuning tables/software.. what they do exactly... first before i dive into things!

It takes alittle bit to find your way around, but it'll be well worth it. I have the ebl on another car, I am saving my coins for the sfi-6. keep us posted

How large of an injector can you use withthe EBL SFI-6?

So will it drive both low and high impedence injectors ie; 60s or 120s for E85?

So will it drive both low and high impedence injectors ie; 60s or 120s for E85?

High impedance only. Will need an external box for low impedance injectors. If you have the time to read through this thread it is worthwhile. Lots of information about the EBL EFI-6 system. I realize the thread is long, so mentioned the "if you have the time" thing.

Can't get the Cherry PnH drivers, so can't mod the ECMs for low impedance. The formally discontinued NS LM1949 driver chips are available, but are not a one part drop in. Needs supporting circuitry, meaning an external box.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I went back though the posting and must have missed that. Is that external box something that is available or does it have to be built on your own?

There are several manufactures building PnH injector driver boxes. The one Street Lethal linked is one of the more reasonably priced units.

I had another thought about this late last night. Many H*ndas run low impedance injectors with saturated drivers. They use a resistor in series with each injector. There is a resistor box mounted in the engine compartment.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I am running it in my car but not nearly at its full potential yet, iv had too many distractions and projects to get it to the track and setup 100%! So far tho i like it, done a few short WOT pulls and went on 100+ mile trips with it.

How hard was the install and was there and surprises that u ran into? How much was the total investment if you don't mind me asking? Was it plug and play?

Thanks
Shaun

Install was easy, basically all you do is re-pin the ECU harness. It goes from 2 connectors to 3 and you just follow the guide from the website. I found that all the pin locations on the instructions were correct but the wire colors on one document were not and I informed him. I only had one snag and that was the last 3 pins did not want to come out of the connectors... so i cut them open and extracted them, no big deal since i bought the new connectors from them with the ECU. Most annoying part to me is that I ordered extra ECU pins from Jegs and they are backordered! You will need them if using some of the extra features the computer has.

Total investment was about 550 if those terminals ever come off backorder, but i sold my old ECU, powerlogger, MAF, translators, etc.. and came out ahead of the game :)

Could you get the terminals from Caspers?

Yes, Caspers has the terminals. We also carry the terminals, just don't have them on the web site. We also carry the two main connectors along with the required third connector.

The re-pin is easier if you have all three connectors, as it is just a matter of moving them from the current connectors to the new connectors. No need to move multiple terminals/wires at the same time.

Note that I haven't had the GN to the track yet, but it does run well on the street. Obviously it has an EBL SFI-6 Flash ECM in it too.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Why repin the harness . I would make a jumper harness so if it ever fails the stock ecu can be put back in.