Finally...Coach's New Build...

Hey fellas,
I have a few things to post but as most of you are aware...I'm leading the thread to "Help build Nasty Wendy 2", so this will take a backseat for now.
If I get time, I'll throw stuff on, but this other project is more important right now.

Thanks
Coach

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here sits The Executioner...waiting for the new power plant to get transplanted.
It's just hanging out on the jackstands.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1375472756.061367.jpg

Damn coach that gives me a jolly feeling!! Sexy sexy

Alright. I owe you guys a little something.
I really need to thank Pete at Alradco Radiators. Not only did he build me a Killer Chrome Radiator, but he went totally out of his way and granted a request I made to him. He had all my engine brackets powder coated in his companies "Black Chrome". The pictures don't really show the color, but it is very nice and its not really black. It's very hard to describe. It's very very cool.
Big thanks to Pete.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1378044107.310216.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1378044144.673911.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1378044181.906007.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1378044203.194223.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1378044227.961978.jpg

Beautiful stuff!!!!!!! That ignition module bracket and its support are going to need some clean up though!! It is MEGA important that the three module mount bolt heads touch bare metal, and the support touches the bracket with bare metal!! These are one of the most important grounding applications on the car!!

Looks killer !!!!!!!!!

Listen to TurboDave.......the grounds are critical in that location.

Bryan

Donnie, those look bad ass!! Great job Pete! Cant wait to see this car.... probably answered this before but - Will it make it to BG this year?

aaron

Dang Coach, that's just awesome!!! You sure you want to drive this?Lol Looks too good to even see a heat cycle.

Donnie, those look bad ass!! Great job Pete! Cant wait to see this car.... probably answered this before but - Will it make it to BG this year?

aaron
No...the car still has no power plant. I have a ton on my plate with building the new car for Clay. That has taken all my time. It's been really fun.

Thanks for all the compliments. I will drive this...for sure.
When it's totally finished...I'm gonna run it thru the ISCA Indoor Showcar Series.
I loved doing that years ago. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, and Detroit.
I'm really thinking about doing this again.

No...the car still has no power plant. I have a ton on my plate with building the new car for Clay. That has taken all my time. It's been really fun.

What's better than having a big build like this going??? Having two huge builds going at the same time. :D You're a hellofaguy Donnie! Thanks for the routine, loving it.

Peter

Charlie...you could build one in a few hours. I started by cutting the 1/4" chromoly plate and mounting it onto the frame in the 5 positions I wanted it to bolt to. Then I cut the main bar across the front and actually taped it into place. The two bars that run back in the "V" shape were cut and tack welded into place and it was on from there. The extra bar closest to the under engine mounting plate is actually a piece of 0.045 wall and it is a mounting point for my new transmission cooler. Since I installed the huge front mount, I had no place to put my tranny cooler. I still run it thru the radiator, so I basically run dual coolers.
One day I was mocking things up and saw all the space behind the up pipe where the stock intercooler sat. I figured that if an engine could run with a shroud and the intercooler mounted there, it should work for a different cooler.
I started figuring out how I might mount it. I ordered the largest and thickest cooler I could find. It's 1.75 thick x 12 x 12. It's a fin and plate design and uses 1/2 NPT fittings. After I built the front brace, I started a billet alum frame to hold the cooler. Once I had the cooler framed in an alum housing, of sorts, I was good. The alum U-channel I made it from has heat resistant rubber in the top and bottom to absorb shock and vibration of street driving.
The RJC up pipe cheated me out of a ton of space, with how it was bent, so it had to go. I searched for a PTE up pipe, and found one. After modifying the end under the radiator to meet up with the Megacooler, I bought a 3 foot piece of intercooler hose and after I figured out the maximum distance forward I could put it, I cut a piece to attach to the throttlebody. I now had a ton of room.
I then hung the alum framed cooler off the up pipe with some string, until it was directly in front of the fan on the crank pulley. I took a few measurements and fabbed up some alum mounts. Once in place, I started working on how to mount it on top, so it did not fall back into the fan. As luck would have it...2 waterpump bolts lined up perfect. I cut 2 pieces of 5/16" stainless all-thread and made some Hex shaped alum extensions. They stick out and are bolted to the alum frame around the cooler.
I machined the bottom mounts so I could add sheet rubber pieces around the chromoly front frame brace. The frame, itself, has a cushioning rubber holding the tranny cooler, so it kinda floats in there. I run HR engine mounts, an HR tranny mount, and the RJC rear engine brace, so basically my frame and engine all move as one unit. It's my thought that having the cooler mounted to the frame brace and the engine will not be an issue at all. It's pretty stiff, and the cooler can actually absorb shock since it floating in the frame. All I have to do now is run the new tranny lines over to the radiator and attach them where I had the others.

Let me know what you think of this set up. The cooler will have a sheet metal shroud around it and it uses 2...3 inch diameter thin plastic pipes to get air. It will not use the engine bay air. It should work just as the factory intercooler. The 2 pipes run on top of the frame brace and out to the front air dams, where the SLIC use to grab its air.

********No the belt does not touch the alum extensions when the tensioner is tight.********

Wait until you see the other frame get its modifications.

View attachment 194853View attachment 194854View attachment 194855View attachment 194856

Man Coach, that looks good!!!!

Holy freakin' COW!!! What a build thread. I FINALLY got through all 15 pages. I'm going to start investing in chrome polish stocks.:) I'm waiting for the pics of the custom clear lexan inspection cover and the chromed torque converter with LED lighting.:D Rumor has it that Donnie plans on running mineral oil in this motor just in case there is an oil leak it will actually shine more.:cool: That's right, the freakin' oil leaks are going to shine.:D This thing is looking flat out awesome Coach. Will it be possible to look directly into the engine compartment without a welder's helmet?

Thank you...I'm doing my best. I want to compete at national shows and represent the Turbo Buick Brotherhood well.